PDA

View Full Version : 3/25, another successful day fishing at Lake Gregory!... ):)+(:(

The Fishing Queen
03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
OK, I was going to write this report last night, but after I got hooked on the brown trout issue, I was too tired to use my brain juice. Here we go, and hope this is not a late report.

3/25, Sunday. It started as a good weather up in Crestline. The mountain temperature normally is always littler bit chillier than down the hill. It was 55 degrees, but felt much colder with gusty winds blowing at 10 miles an hour. Since I caught some nice sized trout on Saturday, I was pretty excited to fish at the lake again. I got to the lake around 9:50am, and saw three families were out there fishing. I set up one of my poles with a 2 foot leader and a treble hook with salmon peach power bait on it and cast out about 80 feet away from the shore. Then I used the Super Duper lure on my other pole and cast around the shoreline to locate the trout. I found a spot that looked a little deeper than other parts of the shoreline, so I stopped there and repeatedly cast out the lure and retrieved it very slowly, pause and go, repeating the same pattern. After a few casts, I got a hit, I quickly raised my pole sideways and set the hook and felt the fish was on. I then quickly reeled it in and landed my first trout of the day by 10:08..... I used the same technique and my lucky lure and worked around at the same area for another 15 mins. I missed a bite, but I caught the second trout around 10:25.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook.png
After my second catch, it got really windy and the wind blew my heavy duty chair over. I felt the temperature drop and my hands were ice cold. So I changed my casting pole over to a bait pole with rainbow power bait, and cast into the same spot and with same distance as I did with my lure and patiently waited for a while. I got my third trout at 10:55.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook2.png
That was exciting to catch 3 fish within an hour. After that, the wind was getting misery around 11:20, and the fish stopped hitting. I moved to couple of different spots and had no luck. I didn't see the other families catching anything either. I decided to move to a spot right across from them and fished from there. I cast out my line and just started to tighten it, then I felt a bite. I rushed to pick up my pole, set the hook and the fish was on.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook3.png
By this time, it was a little before noon. The clouds started to move in and the sky looked dark and heavy. The other people had already left, one by one, but I was trying to achieve my goal of reaching my limit, so I stayed on - a die hard fishing girl..... After trying two other kinds of PB with no luck, I started using my magic garlic power bait and waited for 20 mins and got my last fish around 12:15.........

As I was picking up my gear, the sky turned into a dark gray blanket and the wind was blowing like 20 miles an hour. I guess it was a good time to call it quits! I hurried home before the rain.......
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/Weather.png
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/5onBoard.png

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/mini5.png

FKNChristopH
03-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Way to go sticking it ou and getting the limit!

Carptain_Bao
03-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Limited out again,nice job!

The Fishing Queen
03-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank you guys! Can't help it, too much fun!:Cool:

mjc89
03-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Awsome job. Those are somenice looking fish. Theres better quality fish after the trout derby. I cant wait to head up there again.

The Fishing Queen
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks 'mjc89', it was pretty cold up there last weekend. The wind was the killer as always. You've been there, so you know what I'm talking about. Hope the weather gets warmer for the derby.

Cowboy Hookup
03-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Double thumbs up! Nice catch. Bet u don't miss ur Pudd huh!!

mjc89
03-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks 'mjc89', it was pretty cold up there last weekend. The wind was the killer as always. You've been there, so you know what I'm talking about. Hope the weather gets warmer for the derby.

Yeah. Will you be there for the derby?

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Comparing trout fishing, Pudd is much tougher lake than Lake Gregory. I am sure that I'm going to miss all of my friends from the Pudd.

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Not sure about that. Maybe? If there are a lot of people out there fishing, then I might not get a spot. You know that people get up there at 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning to save their spots. Toooooooo cold for me.

mjc89
03-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Ill be going after the derby. I heard it gets really crowded.

fishermanx14
03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
OK, I was going to write this report last night, but after I got hooked on the brown trout issue, I was too tired to use my brain juice. Here we go, and hope this is not a late report.

3/25, Sunday. It started as a good weather up in Crestline. The mountain temperature normally is always littler bit chillier than down the hill. It was 55 degrees, but felt much colder with gusty winds blowing at 10 miles an hour. Since I caught some nice sized trout on Saturday, I was pretty excited to fish at the lake again. I got to the lake around 9:50am, and saw three families were out there fishing. I set up one of my poles with a 2 foot leader and a treble hook with salmon peach power bait on it and cast out about 80 feet away from the shore. Then I used the Super Duper lure on my other pole and cast around the shoreline to locate the trout. I found a spot that looked a little deeper than other parts of the shoreline, so I stopped there and repeatedly cast out the lure and retrieved it very slowly, pause and go, repeating the same pattern. After a few casts, I got a hit, I quickly raised my pole sideways and set the hook and felt the fish was on. I then quickly reeled it in and landed my first trout of the day by 10:08..... I used the same technique and my lucky lure and worked around at the same area for another 15 mins. I missed a bite, but I caught the second trout around 10:25.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook.png
After my second catch, it got really windy and the wind blew my heavy duty chair over. I felt the temperature drop and my hands were ice cold. So I changed my casting pole over to a bait pole with rainbow power bait, and cast into the same spot and with same distance as I did with my lure and patiently waited for a while. I got my third trout at 10:55.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook2.png
That was exciting to catch 3 fish within an hour. After that, the wind was getting misery around 11:20, and the fish stopped hitting. I moved to couple of different spots and had no luck. I didn't see the other families catching anything either. I decided to move to a spot right across from them and fished from there. I cast out my line and just started to tighten it, then I felt a bite. I rushed to pick up my pole, set the hook and the fish was on.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/OnHook3.png
By this time, it was a little before noon. The clouds started to move in and the sky looked dark and heavy. The other people had already left, one by one, but I was trying to achieve my goal of reaching my limit, so I stayed on - a die hard fishing girl..... After trying two other kinds of PB with no luck, I started using my magic garlic power bait and waited for 20 mins and got my last fish around 12:15.........

As I was picking up my gear, the sky turned into a dark gray blanket and the wind was blowing like 20 miles an hour. I guess it was a good time to call it quits! I hurried home before the rain.......
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/Weather.png
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/LG%20Sunday/5onBoard.png

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p561/TheFishingQueen/mini5.png
wish i was there right about now

fishfnatic
03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Nice fish! Way to go on the limit and just in the nick of time.

a321eric
03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Nice job! So one day you get browns and the other you get rainbows?? haha Thats pretty cool.

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Nice job! So one day you get browns and the other you get rainbows?? haha Thats pretty cool.
Is that weird? Maybe because I was fishing in different area this time, and I got to a schools of spawning rainbows.

Prowler_Tuber
03-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Great Job out there

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks to 'fishermanx14', 'fishfnatic' , and 'Prowler_Tuber' for reading my report and for your encouragement!:Razz:

old pudd fisher
03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice!! You have proved to us all that you are indeed a true fishing queen, and will be eating better then a king the next few days.

Kelster
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the report, I am heading up Wednesday to toss some lures and C&R since I still have a lot of meat in the freezer from Corona. I have a pretty good idea where you were since that is the same spot they were spawning last year. The water was flowing pretty good then and the creek was pretty full. Thomas Bouyants work well up there as well, but I love my Super Duper too.

TUNAVIC
03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Way to tuff it out!Little colder than puddingstone huh?
Way to hang in there and get a limit congrats!

Cya Tuna Vic

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice!! You have proved to us all that you are indeed a true fishing queen, and will be eating better then a king the next few days.

Ha, ha, you're pretty funny 'old Pudd fisher'. Thanks for the reply! Anyway, about 'Fishing Queen' name - it was given to me by some of my friends in Lake Gregory. It is a funny story tough - When I just started fishing, I didn't know how to take the hook out of the fish's mouth. One day I went fishing and there were a few guys out in the lake, but no one had caught anything. I just set up my pole and got a bite, so I reeled it in and took the fish to one of the guys and asked for help with the hook, so he did. After I went back to my spot and started fishing, I got another hit and landed my second trout within 10 mins. This time, the same nice man helped me again with the hook...... So I went back fishing, and 10-15 mins later I got another bite and caught my third fish. As I was walking towards him, I heard him said to his buddies:" boy, what's wrong with this picture, we're here since 2 o'clock and had nothing, then she came with her pink poles and in a half hour got three?"....... As I was standing there with a lively fish in my hand, this time the nice helpful man handed me his pliers before I even had a chance to open my mouth. "Here, if you are good to catch those fish, I'm sure you know how to do the hook, right?" he said with a strange smile. So I took over his pliers and struggled with the trout, the poor thing was a mess because of my clumsiness. I finally took out the hook all by myself - of course, with blood all over my hands....... But from then on, I never asked anyone for help with hooks again. And from then, he and his buddies became my good fishing friends......

Troutcz swimbait
03-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Nice report and wright up,so no more Pudd for a while?

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the report, I am heading up Wednesday to toss some lures and C&R since I still have a lot of meat in the freezer from Corona. I have a pretty good idea where you were since that is the same spot they were spawning last year. The water was flowing pretty good then and the creek was pretty full. Thomas Bouyants work well up there as well, but I love my Super Duper too.

They were spawning at the shallow area, but I left them alone. Maybe they will have more baby trout. I cast pretty far and deep, might be caught another school of spawning trout swimming by. I like to use lures to catch trout on raining days in that lake, one day in the rain I landed 13 trout within an hour and half with Super Duper. I was soaking wet and cold, but it was a blast. Never had any luck with Thomas Bouyants.

Way to tuff it out!Little colder than puddingstone huh?
Way to hang in there and get a limit congrats!

Cya Tuna Vic

Yep, it was cold, but very rewarding. That's my lake - always giving me the good catches!

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Just take a couple days off that's all. How was the fishing today, 'troutcz swim bait'?

Troutcz swimbait
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I didn't fish today maybe on Friday,I'm working on a wooden floor.

The Fishing Queen
03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Too bad! I'll fish in the afternoon at the Pudd if the weather gets hot. But somedays I'll go up to the mountains and fish in the middle of lake with my fishing kayak.

zenmic
03-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Last time I was out at Lake Gregory, I fished from the bank in the tree lined area close to the restroom on the side close to the main highway. The first time I went we did pretty good, but the last time I got skunked. I read somewhere that for bank fishing the spot to be is close to the baseball field. Is that correct?

ShoreTrouter
03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Great, great report! Really enjoyed reading that. -Andy

The Fishing Queen
03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Last time I was out at Lake Gregory, I fished from the bank in the tree lined area close to the restroom on the side close to the main highway. The first time I went we did pretty good, but the last time I got skunked. I read somewhere that for bank fishing the spot to be is close to the baseball field. Is that correct?
Yes, it's a popular spot for shore fishing.

Great, great report! Really enjoyed reading that. -Andy
Thanks for the kind words!:Smile:

zenmic
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks Queen, I hope to try the ball field the next time I make it out there. You kayak out there, Queen? Gregory looks kind of deep. When I was out there before, I have seen a couple of people open up with their motor boats and throw waves all over the shoreline.

The Fishing Queen
03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
You kayak out there, Queen? Gregory looks kind of deep. When I was out there before, I have seen a couple of people open up with their motor boats and throw waves all over the shoreline.

Yes, when the weather gets hot, the trout go deep in the water and the middle of the lake is my fishing hole. LG only allow the float tubes, kayaks and electric motor rental boats in the lake, except two of the gasoline motor boats run by the boathouse. I was told by the boathouse staff that the deepest part of the lake is 65 feet.

zenmic
03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Good to know, Queen. Thanks.

OCfishermen
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
when is the derby????

The Fishing Queen
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Just know it's coming in April, you have to google to find out the date.

fishermanx14
03-31-2012, 06:52 PM
how did the meat look?