PDA

View Full Version : Dvl 3/24

largemouthlad
03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
My coaches and i decided to hit up dvl for some bass saturday. We got on the water about 7:20 am due to a long boat inspection hold up and headed to Rawson cove to start the day. My coaches are not the bass fisherman so i was kinda teaching them as we went. I gave them a drop shot rig and let them beat the bank. It was a very low pressure morning with thick low fog and 15+ winds. After trying Rawson for a bit we headed to the small calm cove directly to the left of Rawson cove and we spotted some smaller males sitting on beds but they were not holding. Then we backed out to deeper water and fan cast all over the cove and finally one of my coaches got one on a drop shot. After that the wind died down a bit and i decided to head to the back of Rawson. There we saw some more males on beds but they were not locked on the their nests. So we fan cast the area for nada. Then we jumped to the other side of the cove and i finally caught one on a drop shot.....not on a bed. then i was thinking to my self "what is up with the fish?" then one of my coaches (who hasn't caught anything) says im hungry. then i get to thinking what he has in his lunch....then it clicks. I then reluctantly ask him if he brought a banana for his lunch and of course he answers YES!!!!! I immediately tell him to get it of the boat in a semi scream tone. But he thinks im joking and just tells me to chill out and after all he is my coach and im not about to get in a fight with him.

Then 45 minutes pass and he finally eats the banana. We then head over to the rock quarry to be disappointed with no fish....i thought the large flat was still there but i did not take in perspective of the fullness of the lake. By this time it was noon and my coach (the one that brought a banana) had to leave. So we dropped him off and we headed to the south side of the lake next to the eucalyptus tree fishing secondary points. My first cast i get a fish and then a few minutes later i get another one and then i miss one by the trees and by this time my other coach is just chillin in the back of the boat. the low fog had moved on and the sun had poked out a bit so i decided to head back to Rawson for some sight fishing. we went to the back of a cove in rawson and saw some fish on beds. I got 3 more fan casting catching cruising males and a nice 4lb female on a bed came unbuttoned at the boat but my coach caught a fish on a bed after taunting him for a good 10 minutes. All and all it was a fun day with my coaches and look forward to fishing dvl again.

me- 6
coach with banana-0
coach with out banana-2
all on drop shot (nice and simple day)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/541332_316456145083253_100001566110864_832820_1092 66079_n.jpg

Surfnsnowboard3
03-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Good job bro.

From my experience, I highly doubt there are any "beds" yet. The water is too cold. The spawn hasn't started yet.

largemouthlad
03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
the majority of the bass population are not on beds but there are many beds in the shallows. we caught fish directly on beds....doesnt mean theyre spawning. gotta make beds before they spawn.

Pete Marino
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
You guys are wrong about the spawn thing... THE BASS ARE ON BEDS...THEY ARE SPAWNING!!!
I SAW AT LEAST 75 bedfish at the tounament last Saturday...there are ALOT of smaller bass on the beds...BUT there are quite a few Giants on them as well. The tournament was won ON BEDFISH, and 2nd place was also bedfish, 3rd place was bedfish, and I got 6th and they were bedfish... I caught about 20 bedfish...and passed on TONS of beds with sub 3lb bass on them..It got to the point where I started blowing by beds because they didnt ave the size fish I was looking for (4lb+ females)
And on Friday we saw at least 30 beds and caught about 10 off beds...

All that being said....there will be more bedfish this week and next week than there were last saturday...More and more bass are moving up daily...Its gonna be sick in the next couple days!!!!!
I actually also randomly caught some POST SPAWN BASS as well....so they are in PRE SPAWN, SPAWN AND POST SPAWN....gotta love it!!! Spring is here fellas!!!!

Pete

Surfnsnowboard3
03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I retract my last post then. I thought the water was still way too cold. Go slay em!!!

largemouthlad
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
oh ok yea thats what i thought. what was the winning weight ?

Mestre909
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
You guys are wrong about the spawn thing... THE BASS ARE ON BEDS...THEY ARE SPAWNING!!!
I SAW AT LEAST 75 bedfish at the tounament last Saturday...there are ALOT of smaller bass on the beds...BUT there are quite a few Giants on them as well. The tournament was won ON BEDFISH, and 2nd place was also bedfish, 3rd place was bedfish, and I got 6th and they were bedfish... I caught about 20 bedfish...and passed on TONS of beds with sub 3lb bass on them..It got to the point where I started blowing by beds because they didnt ave the size fish I was looking for (4lb+ females)
And on Friday we saw at least 30 beds and caught about 10 off beds...

All that being said....there will be more bedfish this week and next week than there were last saturday...More and more bass are moving up daily...Its gonna be sick in the next couple days!!!!!
I actually also randomly caught some POST SPAWN BASS as well....so they are in PRE SPAWN, SPAWN AND POST SPAWN....gotta love it!!! Spring is here fellas!!!!

Pete

Hey Pete, what time of fish did you see alot of again? :-P

Pete Marino
03-27-2012, 03:40 PM
The 1st place team had 24 lbs with a FAT 7+ lb bedfish as his kicker... 2nd place was 23 lbs with one that almost weighed 10 lbs and another over 6 lbs... My limit was 15lbs and 3 were bedfish of my 5.. I culled alot but couldnt find a giant locked up like the winners did..Thats the way it goes..lol

Mestre...that question didnt make sense?? hahaha damn spell check!! hahaha

The water was 60-62 most of the day...

Matt_Magnone
03-27-2012, 09:58 PM
pete's right. there have been been fish on beds for close to a month and a half now if not a little longer. i caught fish in february on beds. this time of year is funny with tournaments. it doesnt matter who you are, how long you've been fishing, what kind of boat you run or the tackle you utilize. spawn time is anybody's time. all you have to do is find 5 quality fish somewhere around the lake and you have a win. of course its all about if you can make em' bite; that and locating fish others haven't can be the hard part. thats really it. i know of a couple teams had the right size fish located. one in which got them to bite. the others conditions just didnt factor into it.

good job to everyone out there. and good job bellon. heard it was nasty with the fog.

largemouthlad
03-27-2012, 10:41 PM
nice! those are some nice bags. yea thanks it was a fun day with the coaches....man i need to fish more ha. i will be with wrestling over now. i think im going to have to hit up skinner next week. try to get my double digit pb