PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

fishntime
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Ok so my boat has been sitting for about 5 months, and this morning I go to take it out to the lake for a test run. But, before I go I stop and check to make sure all my electronics are working properly. Come to find out that the deep cranking battery is no good. So I go buy a new battery. Now here's the tough part. I get to the lake and she starts right up and all the electrical is fine. But, my trolling motor only lasted about 5 mins or so. Will the electronics battery charge properly if the deep cranking battery is completely gone? I would like some input from those of u in the know before I go out and buy yet another battery. Thanks in advance. Fishntime

dixoncider
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM
So you have 2 batteries ? They are both bad maybe. Did you put a volt meter on them by any chance? Not sure how you have your charging system rigged.

heydaad
03-26-2012, 08:48 PM
You need to check the charging system ... do you charge them at home? Do you rely on the motor to charge them on the water? Does your tow vehicle charge them on the road? Five months is long enough to discharge your batteries if you don't use a trickle charger. More questions to answer before you can get an accurate answer.

I use a trickle charger in the garage for both batteries ... my wiring harness on the trailer allows a charge from the vehicle. The batteries will last a lot longer if you never let them discharge fully (like long storage periods). On the water your starting motor should never fully discharge, and if your secondary battery is run down by trolling motor and electronics, it will fully recharge relatively quickly.