PDA

View Full Version : BBL Quickie - 3/24/2012

etaggart
03-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Couldn't resist a couple hours of free time late Saturday to inflate the tube for the first time this year and test the Big Bear water temps. Water was fine - feet didn't get cold, but wore a heavy jacket with the cold breeze.

Landed 2 crappie and zero trout from 4pm-6pm near Juniper point. Had two trout working my powerbait floating under a bobber, but neither would take it all the way. Had one or two hard trout taps on the fly, but again, no takers. Not sure if I was moving too much, or they just weren't that interested. I did pick up one nice sized 12" crappie on the black wooly bugger!!! At first I thought it was a sleepy tiny trout, but it quickly realized it was a crappie once it bit all the way. Picked up a second 10" crappie a little later. Suprised to hit crappie in that area, kind of far away from shore, in water so cold. Just goes to show those little buggers don't sleep much.

After snowboarding in warm sun and cool breeze Sunday morning, the wife encouraged an afternoon session in the water saying we could leave later. I had to replace a broken garage door opener and was still concerned about the weather, so passed. Good thing! We left about 4 as it started snowing pretty hard. Numerous cars w/out chains spinning out going downhill hoping to beat the storm. We didn't have to chain up with a big 4wd SUV, but moved very slowly as the snow got thicker. Glad I didn't try to tube it in the afternoon!!!

Can't get on the water this coming weekend, and the next weekend my F-in-Law is bringing his new-to-him boat to christen on the lake. Probably back in the tube the following weekend to see what we can do.

Cheers,

Eric

CraigH
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm thinking of heading up there to shore fish later this week and it's good to know the trout are still biting lite.

Kelster
03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
This year phisn phool and I plan on taking the tubes up. I was wondering if you could float tube this time of year. Thanks for the report, maybe I'll see you up there soon.

etaggart
03-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey Kelster,

Yes, you can tube now - dress warm, watch the weather closely and stay close to shore for safety. On/after April 1 they'll check for a lake permit on your tubes.

ET

blackberg
03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
been thinking of BBL lately...
did you see any carp around?
-bb

etaggart
03-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Hey BB,

I didn't see any carp cruising the surface, but you know they're down there somewhere! Others may know where they're cruising in early Spring.

ET

Cameron
03-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Local rumor is they have been showing up on the east end path way on warmer mornings just rumor tho havent seen with my peepers.

blackberg
03-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Im sure the recent cold/snow spells have not helped,
the crappie is good sign though
-bb

jmytuna
03-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Couldn't resist a couple hours of free time late Saturday to inflate the tube for the first time this year and test the Big Bear water temps. Water was fine - feet didn't get cold, but wore a heavy jacket with the cold breeze.

Landed 2 crappie and zero trout from 4pm-6pm near Juniper point. Had two trout working my powerbait floating under a bobber, but neither would take it all the way. Had one or two hard trout taps on the fly, but again, no takers. Not sure if I was moving too much, or they just weren't that interested. I did pick up one nice sized 12" crappie on the black wooly bugger!!! At first I thought it was a sleepy tiny trout, but it quickly realized it was a crappie once it bit all the way. Picked up a second 10" crappie a little later. Suprised to hit crappie in that area, kind of far away from shore, in water so cold. Just goes to show those little buggers don't sleep much.

After snowboarding in warm sun and cool breeze Sunday morning, the wife encouraged an afternoon session in the water saying we could leave later. I had to replace a broken garage door opener and was still concerned about the weather, so passed. Good thing! We left about 4 as it started snowing pretty hard. Numerous cars w/out chains spinning out going downhill hoping to beat the storm. We didn't have to chain up with a big 4wd SUV, but moved very slowly as the snow got thicker. Glad I didn't try to tube it in the afternoon!!!

Can't get on the water this coming weekend, and the next weekend my F-in-Law is bringing his new-to-him boat to christen on the lake. Probably back in the tube the following weekend to see what we can do.

Cheers,

Eric

Good news
Will bring the tube up this weekend
Wonder if it is too early for bass
J

etaggart
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Hey Joe - I can't make it this weekend, but I bet you'll be able to score early bass with your finesse. I know you're the bass-master, but you can also ask ScottE since I think he's already been hitting them from shore. I think you guys have proven BBL bass like the cold water!

Let us know how it goes!

I got some new bass gear for this season and I'm itchin to use it!!!

Eric

scott e
03-27-2012, 11:37 PM
The bass are biting in a few areas. I had 12 from shore on friday before the storm in less than 2 hrs. All good ones from 2 to 4.5 lbs. Think finger bays and sunny banks.

etaggart
03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Dang, ScottE!! Thanks for chiming-in. I hope to target them bad boys next time I'm in the tube.

DrePSP
03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Etaggart, my buddies and I are planing on hitting up bbl tomorrow (4/1) do we really need to get permits and inspection for out tubes? I've fished the lake few times on my boat, but first time on the tube up there. any tips or advice where we can go in and fish? thanks. dre

etaggart
03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey DrePSP!

Since tomorrow's opening day, you'll probably get hit by lake patrol for permits. Go to the MWD Office (near Big Bear Marina) or the East Public Launch and get a quick inspection and permits. Or, be prepared to pay lake patrol while on the water. Make sure you also have your fishing permits as I was stopped MANY times last year on the water by DFG checking those as well.

Some of my favorite Big Bear float tube launch points:

- Boulder Bay Park - great launch point - I work all over the inner bay and the main bay - usually the east edge about 30'-40' from shore as there's a drop-off up toward the Boy Scout camp on the shoreline.

- Windy Point - Hit the docks by the big houses for bass - kick across Fawn Harbor to the jetty for more bass, crappie and trout.

- Juniper Point park sometimes, but the road just east of there has a pull-out and is right on the water's edge - even easier. I use that launch point when I'm going for a quickie since it's closest to my house.

- Dana Point Park - by Captain John's Marina in Fawnskin - I work from there up to the big rock jetty - you can also launch at the jetty itself if you park on the east end of Fawnskin, go under the chains and walk a bit out the jetty.

- Observatory - Park on the road just west of the Observatory jetty and work the whole jetty and both east and west sides. When really windy I launch there and work the area, then get blown/drift all the way to Stansfield Cutoff (east end of the lake) and have the wife pick me up!

- Big Red House on north-west corner of the lake near the buoy line toward the dam. There's a big parking are by the big red house and easy launch. I use that area most often for trout and crappie to work the entire west end.

- B's Backyard Barbecue - Park and launch right there, kick over to the jetty and work the outer jetty and westerly docks for bass!! Too busy during the high season - crazy boaters, but great area in early and late season.

- Mallard Bay can also be an interesting time when really windy since it's so protected. Look at google maps for the road to park on near the deepest point, then short walk to the water.

If I were up tomorrow, I'd be torn between the far west end near the dam and the docks/jetty across from B's BBQ.

Cheers and post a report of what you get!

Eric

jmytuna
03-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Etaggart, my buddies and I are planing on hitting up bbl tomorrow (4/1) do we really need to get permits and inspection for out tubes? I've fished the lake few times on my boat, but first time on the tube up there. any tips or advice where we can go in and fish? thanks. dre

Pretty unfishable in the tube right now with the wind and whitecaps. Have a plan B just in case.

DrePSP
04-01-2012, 04:10 PM
we ended up not going to BBL due to wind and the opening. went to my buddies secret spot and we limited out in less than 6 hours. there were 4 of us, less than 20 ft apart. all using power bait. I lost 2 fish when i dindnt tie my stringer and the fish swam off with my stringer. first time thats happened in 20+ years. guess first time foe everything.
etaggart. thank you for the info. I will keep all that for next time we want to hit up BBL with tubes. thank you again.