PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T Solo mission in the trenches!

iLLest
03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I've been wanting to attack this AO for about a month now but havent been able to manage to free up time. After sending out some texts during the week, the plan was to attack on Saturday at greylight. Friday afternoon I get a text from Roberto (Murrieta_Angler) telling me that the AO was full of salad and perhaps it would be best to attack another spot. I've been wanting to hit up this spot so bad that I decided to go regardless of the salad. I told myself that I was going to have to work for it and that I did. It felt as if every cast had salad on it....but just looking at the perfect water conditions gave me patience throughout the whole day where I was rewarded nicely.

Data

Date: Sat. March 24, 2012
Duration: 6:20-11am
Conditions: 1 Ft Swells, incoming high tide.
Artillery: LC 110, Shimano Stradic 4000 & Shimano Convergence.
Breakfast of choice: #10 @ McDonalds, with a hazelnut iced coffee. :LOL:

The total for the day was:
2 Legal halibut 23" & 27"
1 Perch 13" (PB) lol
1 Croaker (which at first I thought was a Corvina lol)
1 lost WSB :Angry:

The day started off with a Croaker of all things
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0661.jpg

After finding a trench asking to get a LC thrown at it, I managed to pull this 23" legal hali. Didnt fight at all, it decided to give me the dead weight treatment.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0662.jpg

Half an hour went by without a bite and out of no where I began to get short bit. It frustrated me a bit because I changed the rear hook on my LC with a size #4 to be prepared for the larger models. One must remember that all of those short bites = smaller models. I knew if a fish was going to stick, it had to be a nice model. Finally, I get bit pretty good and set the hook. In came my PB Perch @ 13". I know, I know, not that big but I hardly ever catch perch, so this sucker was a nice lil fat surprise. Preggo's too,so back in the water it went once I took the quick pic.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0679.jpg

As I was making my trek, I saw something was up to shore in front of me. It had the shape of a fish so I walked faster. Once there, I see this poor guy. Bummer.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0663.jpg

I then came across this. A huge hole, maybe 30-40 yards wide and screamingggg for a legal hali to be in it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0668.jpg

I casted about 10 times and as I'm reeling in the LC, I see baitfish fly out of the water. :Shocked: To many of us, this is a green light that there's a large fishy in the area. I began to fan cast the area. Within about 5 mins BAM, fish on. Headshake, headshake, headshakeeeee. Halibut! But this guy gave me the deadweight treatment too, not one solid run, whats up with that? :Sad: In came a nice wave and I managed to reel it in with it. She taped out at 27" Sweet!!!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0666.jpg

This guy didnt look too happy.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0676.jpg

I then began to cast in this area for about another 25 mins hoping for another large model to be in the area. I worked this area hard, I mean hard for absolutely nothing! I got a little bummed out but decided to try something new. Knowing that the high tide was rolling in, I decided to let the fish COME TO ME, instead of me FINDING the fish like we always do. Since this spot was wayyyy too fishy, I said ehh why not. I already have a 27" hali to take home.
I stood in this spot for 2 hours! yes, 2 hrs! I kept walking back and forth within the 30-40 yard hole and finally I get a solid hit, SWING, and BAM fish on!!! The first thing the fish did was take a solid 7-10 second run (with no headshakes what so ever) that made my drag scream, Oh Sh*t, OH Sh*t. I can see my line cutting through the waves like a knife on butter. I keep solid pressure on it and after its first initial run, it begins to make sharp runs side to side. Anxious to see what it is, it decided to ride a wave. There it was, the species I came for....a WSB. It didnt make any strong runs after it's initial first run that usually tires them out so I decided to tighten my drag a bit to begin to pull it in (rookie mistake!) It decided to take a strong run out into the ocean and my drag was set too tight, it pulled my rod forward a bit and managed to spit the hook. :Angry: :Rolls Eyes: :Bawling::Explode::Head Bang: I couldnt believe it, I felt terrible. The first thing that came to my mind was Jason's WSB that he lost, it sounded a bit too familiar. After a couple of words I wont mention, I began to re-cast to see if it was still around. After about half an hour, no bites, he was long gone. I took the walk of shame back to the car. :Sad: What sucks even more, is the fact that I lost the fish because of a mistake I did. If I would have played it right, I would have caught one of my dream fish. That's fishing guys, keep my mistake in the back of your head next time you hook onto a big fish so you wont repeat what I did. Lesson learned on my part. There will be revenge!

After arriving home, I began to fillet the hali. Being the curious guy that I am, I remembered that I ended up catching this fish because I saw the baitfish jump out of the water. I decided to cut open its stomach and what do I find? :Shocked:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0684.jpg

can anyone make out what kind of baitfish it is? Anchovy? Smelt?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0687.jpg

Halikabos for dinner, recipe courtesy of the Iron Chef. :Cool:

Raw.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0690.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0691.jpg

Cooked, beautiful. Keep in mind that I also made some halikabobs last time Jason gave me a hali.
I ended up cooking those on a charcoal grill and they came out pretty good.

I cooked these on a gas grill and let me say, 1,000 times better.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/artistik_pr00f/DSCF0695.jpg

At the end of the day, be thankful for what you have. The fish that got away will always be out there, we're the ones that gotta go out and find em.

P.S. Thank you Arthur, you know for what buddy. :Wink:
Mike, congrats on the PB 41" hali brotha, frikin amazing.

Till next time. :Wink:

cjmedina
03-25-2012, 11:18 PM
great story man.. even better pics.. makes me wanna get out again

slixx
03-26-2012, 12:10 AM
nice going out there, and i think that might be a smelt i could be wrong.

bones
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Now that's what makes me proud to call you a valued SWAT member Frank. Even though you had up to the minute recon on somewhat less than desirable conditions you went with your gut instinct and prevailed with a REALLY nice fish count and multi species day. Those kind of days are what we dream of when we put forth the extra effort. Driving all of the way south and walking that kind of terrain is not for the weak or less determined individual. Good job my friend and thanks for the props!
.....As you can see my sleep patterns are all screwed up with post fishing anxiety still:ROFL:

sidified
03-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Terrific photo-post and reward for your diligence in spite of conditions, Frank, ....It certainly was a great day...may you have many more...and soon!

FELIPE
03-26-2012, 04:49 AM
DANG BRO YOUR PHONE THERE IN THE EIGHTH PIC LOOKS SMASHED!!!:Razz:
THEM HALIS LOOKD KINDA THIN FROM THEM PHOTOS, BUT YOUR HALIKABOBS
SURE DID UM JUSTICE GREAT GOIN MAN!!! IM PRETTY SURE YOULL GET YOUR WSB SOON!!!
GOOD LUCK...

SP Dan
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Hey there iLLest!

Congratulations on the two (2) legal Hali's and your new PB 13" BSP! WTG!! :Thumbs Up:

I've found that following one's own gut instinct usually pays off in spades my friend! I followed mine and landed my first Striped Bass this year in January meeting my SWAT challenge and my second SB three (3) weeks later in February when I was being advised not to fish a particular beach due to it's poor fishing conditions! I was determined that day!! Frank...you followed your instincts and it paid off BIGTIME!

Frank...I would have liked to have hooked up with you and had gotten in on some of that legal Hali action! Next time...okay?!?
I did finally locate the AO (with your help) and fished the area in the early afternoon at it's out-going tide and liked what I saw! Still a bit weedy though.
Thank you....it was very sound advice!

I also.....had one of my WSB become unbuttoned at my AO where the beach met the salt, that same day. :Sad:
Oh well... I say! It was good to meet you Mr. Fish! We shall meet and battle again another day!

The "get-a-ways" are always a bummer and sometimes they make us question ourselves and our skill levels!!
Frank....you are a proven, seasoned and highly skilled surf angler and this fish wasn't meant to be landed this day! I really don't believe that every time we loose a fish that it's due to a rookie mistake.
I really believe that some fish are barley hooked and that they are on for only a mere moment for that "E-Ticket" thrill ride, but were never hooked well enough to get landed.
No matter how honed our fishing skills are... and how hard we strive for perfection....some fish will always get away! That's fishing!

Thanx Frank for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
See you Sunday Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
03-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Frank you had an entire summer of fishing in one day. No need to do the walk of shame.

Congratulations on getting so many and a teaser to keep the blood moving.
See you on the 1st.

PS send some warm water this way will ya.........
WWO

FKNChristopH
03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Good stuff on the hali's and BP!

Wingnut
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey Frank, didn't I tell you that what I sent to you "still" had some magic left in it...? :Envious:

Congrats on the multi legal Halibut day and putting yourself on the Leader Board. :Big Grin:
Never play with your drag during the fight, set it once and leave it alone... and check it periodically. Lesson learned, move on...
The best way to cure a lost fish heartache is to put the next one on the sand. :Wink:
See you on Sunday bro. :Cool:

iLLest
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
great story man.. even better pics.. makes me wanna get out again
Thanks man, glad you liked it. Whenever you have time, make it happen. They're out there. :Big Grin:

nice going out there, and i think that might be a smelt i could be wrong.
Thanks, actually that was my first guess as well, crazy looking thing once its all chewed up.

Now that's what makes me proud to call you a valued SWAT member Frank. Even though you had up to the minute recon on somewhat less than desirable conditions you went with your gut instinct and prevailed with a REALLY nice fish count and multi species day. Those kind of days are what we dream of when we put forth the extra effort. Driving all of the way south and walking that kind of terrain is not for the weak or less determined individual. Good job my friend and thanks for the props!
.....As you can see my sleep patterns are all screwed up with post fishing anxiety still:ROFL:
Thanks Mike! I dont usually go against my SWAT brothas intel but on this occasion I just had to go with my gut instinct. Since last time I went , I played close attention to the structure that was there and knew that tide conditions were going to be perfect. I told myself I was going to work hard for it regardless of the salad and it ended up paying off. I'll be back for that WSB soon though :Wink:

Terrific photo-post and reward for your diligence in spite of conditions, Frank, ....It certainly was a great day...may you have many more...and soon!
Sid, thank you buddy. SWAT has gotten off to a pretty good start to the year...and just like Mike said, its going to get even better once the weather begins to be steady. We'll see how it goes. :Smile:

DANG BRO YOUR PHONE THERE IN THE EIGHTH PIC LOOKS SMASHED!!!:Razz:
THEM HALIS LOOKD KINDA THIN FROM THEM PHOTOS, BUT YOUR HALIKABOBS
SURE DID UM JUSTICE GREAT GOIN MAN!!! IM PRETTY SURE YOULL GET YOUR WSB SOON!!!
GOOD LUCK...
That's my "backup" phone, my previous phone which was a G1, I accidentally left in my board short pocket when I went surf fishing for some perch once. I was up to my waist deep in water because it was hot and I completely forgot about it lol. Once I came out of the water, my phone was completely ruined. Left in in rice for 2 days hoping for the best, but being submerged for about 2 hours, it was done! lol.

Hey there iLLest!

Congratulations on the two (2) legal Hali's and your new PB 13" BSP! WTG!! :Thumbs Up:

I've found that following one's own gut instinct usually pays off in spades my friend! I followed mine and landed my first Striped Bass this year in January meeting my SWAT challenge and my second SB three (3) weeks later in February when I was being advised not to fish a particular beach due to it's poor fishing conditions! I was determined that day!! Frank...you followed your instincts and it paid off BIGTIME!

Frank...I would have liked to have hooked up with you and had gotten in on some of that legal Hali action! Next time...okay?!?
I did finally locate the AO (with your help) and fished the area in the early afternoon at it's out-going tide and liked what I saw! Still a bit weedy though.
Thank you....it was very sound advice!

I also.....had one of my WSB become unbuttoned at my AO where the beach met the salt, that same day. :Sad:
Oh well... I say! It was good to meet you Mr. Fish! We shall meet and battle again another day!

The "get-a-ways" are always a bummer and sometimes they make us question ourselves and our skill levels!!
Frank....you are a proven, seasoned and highly skilled surf angler and this fish wasn't meant to be landed this day! I really don't believe that every time we loose a fish that it's due to a rookie mistake.
I really believe that some fish are barley hooked and that they are on for only a mere moment for that "E-Ticket" thrill ride, but were never hooked well enough to get landed.
No matter how honed our fishing skills are... and how hard we strive for perfection....some fish will always get away! That's fishing!

Thanx Frank for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:
See you Sunday Brotha!

SP Dan <"))><

Dan, next time we'll make sure we got every detail down as to how the day will go. I was bummed out we ended up in two different locations, but for some reason it ended up working out for us. We both caught some pretty nice fish. We'll plan another trip in the future when conditions are right. Your right about the lost fish, they only make us want to go back for some revenge. :Evil: I'll see you soon brotha.

Frank you had an entire summer of fishing in one day. No need to do the walk of shame.

Congratulations on getting so many and a teaser to keep the blood moving.
See you on the 1st.

PS send some warm water this way will ya.........
WWO
Bill, that teaser shoulda been mine! hahaha. It happens though man, thats fishing. It's only going to push me to go back and give it another go soon. :Wink:
Hopefully I can make it on the 1st. It's my GF's Bday on March 31 and usually we go out of town for a mini vacation. I'm going to try to persuade her to stay local so I can make it. :Secret:

Good stuff on the hali's and BP!
Thanks bro!

Hey Frank, didn't I tell you that what I sent to you "still" had some magic left in it...? :Envious:

Congrats on the multi legal Halibut day and putting yourself on the Leader Board. :Big Grin:
Never play with your drag during the fight, set it once and leave it alone... and check it periodically. Lesson learned, move on...
The best way to cure a lost fish heartache is to put the next one on the sand. :Wink:
See you on Sunday bro. :Cool:

Arturito! You dont say! Those things had a bunch of magic left in them, thanks again bro. :Cool:
Looks like we all got some catching up to do with Mike eh? lol. Awesome stuff.
About the drag, tell me about it. I made the mistake of thinking the WSB wasnt going to make any more solid runs after its initial burst, but I was wrong and paid for it. Lesson learned and I'll get that sucker next time. :Wink:
About the 1st, Im working on it still bro, I'll let you know when the time nears.

murrieta angler
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Francisco!!
Great job hanging in there and dealing with that salad...:Big Grin:
I put in 3 hours and didn't even get a bite. 97% of my retrieves had some type of grass on it.
Your determination paid off big and I commend you Bro!
Robert
<><

klocked
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Frank,

I knew you were in for a good day bro. Congrats! I see no need for a walk of shame.
I would have been there with you but my parents were out of town and I had no one
to watch my son.

iLLest
03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Francisco!!
Great job hanging in there and dealing with that salad...:Big Grin:
I put in 3 hours and didn't even get a bite. 97% of my retrieves had some type of grass on it.
Your determination paid off big and I commend you Bro!
Robert
<><

It was rough bro, I too had salad on my LC about 90% of the time. I just shook it off and kept casting. I didnt let it bother me much, THIS TIME lol.
Usually, I say screw it and find another AO but there's something about this one that I love. You know how it is. :Envious: I missed ya out there, I was falling all over the place in those trenches :LOL:

Frank,

I knew you were in for a good day bro. Congrats! I see no need for a walk of shame.
I would have been there with you but my parents were out of town and I had no one
to watch my son.
Thanks John, the walk of shame was because I feel it was my fault the fish was lost. A WSB of all things too :(
It happens and I'll be back for revenge :Cool:
You shoulda brought your son with ya! We could have teached him the ropes of the massive trenches here and how not to fall like I did. lol

blackwater
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Man, that sounds like a legal White Sea bass for sure. :mad:
You'll get them next time bro. Great job on the legal Halis. Getting one per session is nice, getting two is awesome! :Envious:

n1ckxlam
03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
looks bomb! great job, nice fish

n1ckxlam
03-27-2012, 06:26 PM
wtg man, nice fish. sunny is nice, but theres something about cloud cover that makes thigns feel calm. looks like a good day

Jaysuuun
03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Frank, awesome solo session buddy. I wish I could have joined you that day, but I couldn't find anyone to cover for me at work. Sorry to hear about the lost WSB. I know how you feel.

I hit that AO up today and didn't get one nibble. I worked that same hole for awhile walking back and forth, but no love. Can't wait for things to calm down and clear up over there.

iLLest
03-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Man, that sounds like a legal White Sea bass for sure. :mad:
You'll get them next time bro. Great job on the legal Halis. Getting one per session is nice, getting two is awesome! :Envious:
Man I was bummed out, but that's fishing! only makes me want to head back out there ASAP. Thanks about the halis, I was stoked myself.

wtg man, nice fish. sunny is nice, but theres something about cloud cover that makes thigns feel calm. looks like a good day
Thanks, the conditions were very nice, sun peeking here and there while the water wasnt that cold at all. Calm thing for sure, I was the only dude at the beach. Stress disappears instantly. :Smile:

Frank, awesome solo session buddy. I wish I could have joined you that day, but I couldn't find anyone to cover for me at work. Sorry to hear about the lost WSB. I know how you feel.

I hit that AO up today and didn't get one nibble. I worked that same hole for awhile walking back and forth, but no love. Can't wait for things to calm down and clear up over there.

Dude the feeling sucks, I dont like it one bit. Revenge is on my calendar for sure :Cool:
I'm surprised you didnt get one nibble, specially at that particular hole (thats usually the money spot) how were the conditions?

flyngby
03-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Frank,

Awsome report with some quality fish in a variety of species!

You will win the next battle against the wounded solder next time!

See you on Sunday!

Steve http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1122.gif

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/AtomicPunk.jpg

PONTOON
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Great report Frank!:Cool:

Congratulations on the two legal halibut and as far as the lost fish, I know all about how that goes. I'm sure with your desire to hit the surf and with all the catches that are being made right now you will be reporting some catches of a lifetime in the very near future.

Keep the reports coming.:Thumbs Up:

bsp
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Frank,

Great job on the multi species day! Sucks to hear about the lost WSB, but that just means you'll have to get out there again to stick another one. Ending the day with a nice legal isn't so bad though. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday man,

Marc