PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe Damn?

fishermanx14
03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
might go there next weekend instead of puddingstone....on goole maps it looks preatty small. What is in the lake? and what rigs and bait should i use? (trout or panfish if avalible)
and i forgot to ask, are there any places you arent allowed 2 fish? and also do the charge to get in?

white belt
03-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Last time i went i caught catfish on nymph pb and trout on mice tails. Fish by the submerged crate near lot 2.

ScottyP
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Santa Fe Dam is not that big. I've measured the distance walking around at 2.71 miles on my GPS.
It has largemouth bass, bluegill, catfish, carp, and sometimes trout.
Do some exploring, you can find some decent spots. Good luck!

fishermanx14
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Last time i went i caught catfish on nymph pb and trout on mice tails. Fish by the submerged crate near lot 2.

by lot number two do you mean parking lot number 2

fishermanx14
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks ill let you know how it goes

Fishnfun
03-26-2012, 06:38 AM
A heads up to anyone wanting to fish SFD. I was there about 3 weeks ago and they have already started to not allow anyone to fish the western end of the lake as they set up for the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. I believe the west end is known as the dam area. Lots of people like to fish this area but now off limits. I don't know anything about the Faire but it's suppose to run April 7 - May 20. Open weekends only? Anyway, expect a lot of cars and people at SFD during the days the Faire is open.

BALLERONBUDGET
03-26-2012, 07:02 AM
skunkfest is common there . look at reports.. even during stocking trout take off to deep end and avoid carnage by comorants and native birds there...chances r better with boat or float tubes etc..; as far as ren. faire those shore area/parking will be closed , but there is still plenty of othr places and north shores to fish....gud luck

Carptain_Bao
03-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Santa fe dam is a beautiful park and pretty clean.Trouts always hang around near lot 2 and 3.Panfish bite isn't that well now.But I'm pretty sure red worms and nightcrawlers will do it for both trout and gills. There are definitely some good size carp and catfish but u just gotta cast very far.Anyway good luck out there

The Fishing Queen
03-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I fished at parking lot 2 in the past, once I caught one trout. The fishing was slow that day and a lot of people got skunked. Tough lake for trout fishing, but great lake for catch catfish and carps..... Another time I caught two small baby bass and a catfish ( it got stucked under a rock near the shore and broke off my line). I saw three men with a couple of catfish and two small sized carps.

Carptain_Bao
03-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I fished at parking lot 2 in the past, once I caught one trout. The fishing was slow that day and a lot of people got skunked. Tough lake for trout fishing, but great lake for catch catfish and carps..... Another time I caught two small baby bass and a catfish ( it got stucked under a rock near the shore and broke off my line). I saw three men with a couple of catfish and two small sized carps.

In order to find trout at Santa fe,you can simply follow the cormorants,they know where to find the trout.But watch out those water thugs will get your fish before you can land it!

The Fishing Queen
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
I bet the cormorants catch more trout than us. :Smile:

zenmic
03-26-2012, 11:07 AM
The Ren Fair would explain why that area was blocked off the last time I got a chance to Santa Fe Dam. That was about a month ago now (4 weeks).

skunkfest is common there . look at reports.. even during stocking trout take off to deep end and avoid carnage by comorants and native birds there...chances r better with boat or float tubes etc..; as far as ren. faire those shore area/parking will be closed , but there is still plenty of othr places and north shores to fish....gud luck

Submerged crate?

white belt
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Its the area by lot 2 where the water flows into the lake. I have the most luck there. I believe it wpuld be the east side of the lake.