PDA

View Full Version : need to fix abu garcia baitcasting reel

stressD
03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I have a abu garcia orra inshore reel that has a stripped screw socket and i was wonder if there was a way i can repair it or do i need to get a replacement part? the stripped hole is located on the right side plate where the handle is located. Also, does anyone know where i can get reliable reel servicing for a reasonable price in los angeles or would it be better to pay $20.00 (plus parts and shipping) and send it to abu garcia? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Armofisher818
03-25-2012, 12:39 AM
What do you mean by "stripped" maybe I can help. And it's always better to rebuild your own reels

stressD
03-25-2012, 12:49 AM
the threading along the wall of the screw hole is gone because i placed the screw back in at an angle.

Armofisher818
03-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Oh that's bad you should order a new sideplate and put it back yourself it'll be the cheapest and best way it has aluminum side plates right

Nessie Hunter
03-25-2012, 09:18 AM
The threads are in the Frame, not the side plate... = Expensive...
Might try and find a Machine shop or DIY person who can Tap & die it for you. ???
Otherwise there are enough screws to hold it pretty well with 1 missing...

Let me see if I can find a quick fix... BRB..

No quick/easy fixes found!! :(
But you might try a little Aluminum foil (cut in strips) in the hole and see if the screw will grab it??? Worth a try...

CraigH
03-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Is there some kind of tape that could be put on the screw to hold it in place? I'm thinking something like the white teflon plumber's tape, but stronger.

Armofisher818
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
You could try to use some job weld or epoxy to hold it together but that would be a pain in the *** to take apart if you use it in freshwater and clean it once a year, then use some jb weld or epoxy to hold it in place if not in freshwater and in saltwater then you could try buying a threading kit and DIY or take it to some shop to do it for you. Which screw is it the one by the level wind or the one below the handle?

Marine_Michael
03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Take the side plate off and check to see how much material you have to work with. If there is sufficient material to work with re-tap the screw hole for the next larger sized screw and buy a the larger screw to go in it. Or buy some epoxy or JB-Weld and fill the hole and then drill it and retap to the original size.

You might be able to get buy with filling the hole with epoxy and coating the screw with paste wax (like you use on a car) let the epoxy set and then carefully remove the screw. The wax works like a mold release agent. Be careful with the amount of epoxy you use though and clean up any overfill or you can foul up the reel.

Personally I'd go with retapping for a larger screw or filling and retapping the hole.

If you go with a larger screw you may even be able to find the right size self tapping screw.

klocked
03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree with Marine Michael about the JB Weld, great stuff. That is what I would use first.

I also think the reel repair guy at Savon tackle can fix that for you too.

stressD
03-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm afraid if I try to fix it myself things might get worse. I'm gonna try what klocked suggested try savon, thanks.

bman90278
03-26-2012, 05:02 AM
And it's always better to rebuild your own reels

That's not good advice! Not all people are capable of servicing their own reels and end up making them worse.

-b