PDA

View Full Version : Bait questions?

Carptain_Bao
03-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Just wanna clarify, let's say that I hooked up a bluegill on the nightcrawler, it is gut hooked so it's gonna die soon. What should I do with it? I won't eat it cus it's too small. After it is dead, can I cut it into pieces and use it for bait or do I have to keep the fish?
I came up with this question while I was fishing today, the dfg law didn't really make it clear so I am very confused.
Anyone would like to answer the question for me?

CL SmooV
03-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Hooking intestines happens. Maybe an option could be giving the gill to someone who would consume it. Cuttin up a gill or any game fish and using it for bait might raise eyebrows.

Carptain_Bao
03-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Hooking intestines happens. Maybe an option could be giving the gill to someone who would consume it. Cuttin up a gill or any game fish and using it for bait might raise eyebrows.

Thanks CL SmooV.How ar youe doing with all the bass in our city park lakes?Any good ones from peck again?

Slick Rick
03-26-2012, 07:09 AM
I have used cut gills for bait on the River... Once. I won't do it again.

Chovies and other bait fish work much better.

Try switching to circle hooks to cut down on the gut hooking.

-Rick

shinbob
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM

I thought that using gamefish as bait was illegal, but can't find anything in the regs about this. Am I looking in the wrong place? The closest I could find is that reg against keeping trout alive in your boat, but nothing that specifically says you can't use them as bait.

Dr. MindBendo
03-26-2012, 08:36 AM
It's illegal to use bluegill as bait dead, alive or in pieces. Best to cut the line as close as possible to the mouth and release. They don't always die because of a gut hook. Also if you're releasing them, night crawlers are not a good choice. Most fish will always swallow them down before you can set the hook in the lip.

Carptain_Bao
03-26-2012, 08:51 AM
It's illegal to use bluegill as bait dead, alive or in pieces. Best to cut the line as close as possible to the mouth and release. They don't always die because of a gut hook. Also if you're releasing them, night crawlers are not a good choice. Most fish will always swallow them down before you can set the hook in the lip.

For real?Cus I'm just like shinbob, can't find any certain regulations about that.But anyway you are right about cut the line and it may still survive.

white belt
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
You got a cat or friend who has a cat? Just take the hook out and let them take care of the rest. This guy at the pudd showed me how he gets the gut hook out on gills with a toothbrush. Really effective. You can probably make that same tool with a hollowed out pen.

CraigH
03-26-2012, 09:22 AM
From the CA DFG website (I believe most of us fish in the southern district):

Bait Regulations for Inland Waters (CCR, T14, Chapter 2, Article 3)

4.00. Bait-General.

Legally acquired and possessed invertebrates, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians (except salamanders), fish eggs and treated and processed foods may be used for bait, except:

(f) Except for restrictions listed under special regulations, dead ocean fish may be used as bait statewide. This section supersedes the provisions of sections 4.10, 4.15, 4.20, 4.25 and 4.30.

4.10. Bait Fish Use in the Southern District.

Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in San Diego County.

Dr. MindBendo
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
I do not see Bluegill below as an approved bait fish.

Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:

(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.

shinbob
03-26-2012, 09:36 AM
From the CA DFG website (I believe most of us fish in the southern district):

Bait Regulations for Inland Waters (CCR, T14, Chapter 2, Article 3)

4.00. Bait-General.

Legally acquired and possessed invertebrates, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians (except salamanders), fish eggs and treated and processed foods may be used for bait, except:

(f) Except for restrictions listed under special regulations, dead ocean fish may be used as bait statewide. This section supersedes the provisions of sections 4.10, 4.15, 4.20, 4.25 and 4.30.

I do not see Bluegill below as an approved bait fish.

Ah yes, that's where it is. I knew it had to be in there somewhere!

Carptain_Bao
03-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Ah yes, that's where it is. I knew it had to be in there somewhere!

Good I finally got a convincing answer!

CraigH
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Yup. I always get a free copy of the sport fishing regulations booklet when they come out. There are some interesting regulations about bait, the size and weight of hooks and sinkers, and special regs for some of the lakes and streams that are worth knowing.

t3rry
04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
It's pretty clear what it says, any live or dead FIN fish, basically meaning fish with fins. And they go on to list which specific species you CAN use and even with those species they list certain guideline. Bottom line if it has a fin and it's not mentioned... you can't use it as bait.

flyhigh123
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
wouldn't that mean using mackeral or anchovies is illegal as well?

Carptain_Bao
04-10-2012, 10:37 PM

That's what I was thinking, too. But it seems Terry got the point.

Flying
04-11-2012, 04:10 AM

"dead ocean fish may be used as bait statewide"