PDA

View Full Version : Tubin at Pyramid Lake -- Maiden voyage... (3/24 am)

dkinla
03-24-2012, 10:48 AM
sorry guys, I removed the details of my post due to management not wanting reports such as this here...

anyways, for those that didn't get a chance.... my dad had a great time catching his limit of trout this am!

here are just a couple pics!

here's one of his nicer models this am (this was the last fish of the morning and we were heading out):

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/dkinla/b4e2a064.jpg

and a close up at the cleaning station:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/dkinla/1f73a46e.jpg

trail blazer
03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Way cool report,,,,,,,GREAT JOB at the mid

Keep those BOMB reports coming

TRAIL BLAZER

ThatKidCASH
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Great job guys!

Note: Is that Adrian in the back ground?

dkinla
03-24-2012, 03:48 PM
nice one! my dad said you looked like a pro out there on the water... not like us noobs! haha

I think we're gonna try going out a little deeper to where you are next time we head out...

pyramidrose
03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
After a TROUT plant is this really fishing???? The RAMP is OFF LIMITS>>>>>>>>>>>>>Some nice 18 Inch trout planted. PLEASE allow them to DISPERSE We are here for the duration. PLEASE allow us to IMPROVE this lake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Management ( Mark)

dkinla
03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
After a TROUT plant is this really fishing???? The RAMP is OFF LIMITS>>>>>>>>>>>>>Some nice 18 Inch trout planted. PLEASE allow them to DISPERSE We are here for the duration. PLEASE allow us to IMPROVE this lake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Management ( Mark)

Mark...

We paid our fishing license fees... we paid our Pyramid lake entrance fee... I paid the float tube vessel launch fee... the state stocks trout so people can enjoy catching them. We caught our limit and left happy. You should really do something about people who poach and take way more than their limit as I observed this morning a few people doing. No sheriffs/DFG at all this am to warn people NOT to fish off of the dock/launch ramp.

I was informed by your staff and the sheriffs that float tubes are allowed near the dock/launch ramp prior to my investment in purchasing a float tube.

and yes... this isn't what I call "fishing" either.. but hey.. what's wrong with wanting your dad (or maybe your own kid) to actually catch a few fish? We were there a few weeks ago days after a trout plant, and my dad spent 5 hours of doing your kind of "fishing" from the shore/rocks and didn't catch a thing... my dad told me this was the most "fun" he's had fishing in a long time... especially at Pyramid...

I go surf fishing all the time and believe in catch/release... in fact I caught/released that very nice 23" Corbina in my avatar pic you see there... my personal best corbina so far...

I don't think you should be concerned about good people who fish following the rules.... and worry more about people who abuse the rules.

It's not even like there are 50-100 people that show up the day of the plant or after the plant to catch all 2500 lbs of trout... For the first couple hours this am, there were only 8 of us there.... and IF everyone caught and respected the trout limit (not having people take way more as I saw this am), then that's only 40 fish for a Saturday am... yeah 40 fish out of 2500lbs is really gonna mess things up for everyone else at the lake.

Why even bother posting in this forum the date when Pyramid plants then? If you really do not want people to show up after a trout plant, then it probably would be a good idea not to post that info. Might as well not let people fish there for a couple weeks at least so the trout can really spread out... then have fishermen catch maybe 1-2 trout after spending a whole day there... so they would really love to come back another time with their friends/family and catch 1-2 more fish?

Anyways, I obviously will no longer post any more reports from Pyramid... the time I spend with my aging father is more important to me than posting to share our experience and then getting criticized for it or being monitored here...

but just a tip Mark/Pyramid management... most of the FNN posters here who actually take their time to write up a nice report, upload their pictures, upload their videos... so that they can share their experience at Pyramid lake or wherever they're fishing... are NOT the people you should be concerned about at all... most of the posters I've either met or talked to here are really nice people who enjoy fishing for recreation/sport AND abide by the rules/regulations that DFG has set forth... which leads me to the following

I ACTUALLY ENCOURAGE the management at Pyramid lake to maybe enhance their enforcement efforts with the Sheriffs/DFG the first 2-3 days after a trout plant just to make sure people aren't taking way more fish than they should. This is where I think you'll save more of the stocked trout population so that more of them have a chance to disperse as you say. I'm always happy to show my fishing license and that I'm keeping with my limits.

PM sent to you Mark.

superbigfish
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM

The Management ( Mark)

I don't understand what you're saying. Then why post the dates of the trout stockings on here and the DFG site? Isn't the whole idea of the trout announcement is to draw interest to come up there and catch a few fish at first chance? After a few days the bass and birds will be feeding on them and will no longer be in an area accessible to shore fisherman. Not trying to stir anything up, but curious...

trail blazer
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Keep posting,,,,,,,,,,,,catching your limits and eating the spoils of all your effort,,,,,,,,,Im sure that there,s a misunderstanding in all this,,

Keep posting,,WE LOVE THIS! Thats why we exist here on FNN,,,,,,To fish,catch,,have fun ,,,and share our experiences in the great outdoors.

Cant wait for your next report,,,,,,,,,,,,probably be a little safer to move out to the end of the 2 launch piers once you get the tubes and the fins figured out though,,,,at least when people are launching boats,,,,,,,JMO.

C,mon,,,,,,go get some more and REPORT on that quality MID action!

TRAIL BLAZER

pyramidrose
03-25-2012, 01:22 AM
I would like to APLOGIZE for sounding harsh. I / We do really enjoy having the fishing guys come here. I recieved a call of people netting today on the ramp. I was not in a position to stop this. As you say it's the people who extend over thier limit. These infractions are just the tip . And the ramp area and docks are NO fishing.
The problem we have is "selective" enforcement by whom ever is on duty. Which usually ends up with people coming to us saying they fished that area before. We are trying to just get the enforcement to be predictable. This way the public has an idea of expectations / rules.
I again say please except my APOLOGY.
If you left early then you should have seen me 30 ft. up doing electrical work on the side of the road. ( Not exactly handy to respond to calls about the ramp)

And i'm sorry if my post distracted from a day of fishing with family :Sad:

Mark

Santa Fe Eric
03-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Congrats on treating your Dad to a great day on the water!

TroutOnly
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
He thats my favorite fishin hole,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,get back to work mark,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,slap him tammy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

laserbrn
03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, no catching the fish, that's bullshit! lol....leave them for the stripers. I can't believe someone from Pyramids staff would come on here and talk **** and say you weren't really "fishing" and try to call you out when you were trying to just have a nice day out on the lake with your family. Instead of just leaving at an apology, there has to be rationalization for the behavior, then a reinforcement that you were doing is wrong. I don't recall seeing any signs that say no fishing in a float tube anywhere near the launch ramp. I don't remember seeing "no fishing" bouys indicating that fishing was not allowed in that area. Maybe they are new this year, haven't been up there yet.

GR6RR
03-26-2012, 03:10 PM
I used to love fishing here... Used to go up there (1 hour drive) almost every other weekend with friends and family to chill, have fun, and do some fishing. I hope it was all a misunderstanding, but something like this shouldn't happen on a "fishin" forum...

pyramidrose
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM
First of all, Mark posted an apology for sounding so harsh, but the point to be made here is that sitting in launch area all day is not allowed here and never has been. We (the staff) always tell people to fish off the rocks to the east side of the harbour as the trout make there way along the shoreline right after a plant. Fishing from a tube all day in the 15 min. mooring area is no different than these guys fishing off the docks. DFG will and has sited fishermen for fishing in the launch area. No one from our staff should be telling anyone they can fish there and please by all means let me know who it was. We want everyone to have a good time, but rules are rules and we try to treat everyone equally.

cutbait
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
First of all, Mark posted an apology for sounding so harsh, but the point to be made here is that sitting in launch area all day is not allowed here and never has been. We (the staff) always tell people to fish off the rocks to the east side of the harbour as the trout make there way along the shoreline right after a plant. Fishing from a tube all day in the 15 min. mooring area is no different than these guys fishing off the docks. DFG will and has sited fishermen for fishing in the launch area. No one from our staff should be telling anyone they can fish there and please by all means let me know who it was. We want everyone to have a good time, but rules are rules and we try to treat everyone equally.

I think that sums it up.. good explanation Tammy...

I specifically remember YOU telling me I couldn't fish the ramp area at Striperfest 2011... What you typed is verbatim what you told me that day

dkinla
03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah, no catching the fish, that's bullshit! lol....leave them for the stripers. I can't believe someone from Pyramids staff would come on here and talk **** and say you weren't really "fishing" and try to call you out when you were trying to just have a nice day out on the lake with your family. Instead of just leaving at an apology, there has to be rationalization for the behavior, then a reinforcement that you were doing is wrong. I don't recall seeing any signs that say no fishing in a float tube anywhere near the launch ramp. I don't remember seeing "no fishing" bouys indicating that fishing was not allowed in that area. Maybe they are new this year, haven't been up there yet.

Yeah thx for the support guys. This is the first time I had anyone post something negative like that in any forum I've ever posted a report in. Was a little shocked and caught off guard by it really.. Hence my long reply in regards to those comments afterwards.. And hence the reason why I will no longer post any future reports from Pyramid here... Who knows what mgmt/staff might not appreciate next time?... I really couldn't believe I was targeted in a post like this... And not directed more at the poachers taking 50+ fish that I witnessed. They probably ended up taking way more than what I witnessed since they were still fishing off of the docks as we were leaving.

Listen... I'm not here to stir up any trouble. I don't think it's the float tubers that are the problem... I would say most float tubers are good people who follow the rules/regs/trout limits. I only saw one other float tuber there with us the day after the plant on a Saturday am. The problem are the poachers I witnessed bagging over 50-60 trout... Going back/forth to their car and coming back with empty buckets for more trout.

Management should try to do more about these people. It's not the float tuber who goes home with 5 trout. It's the poacher who goes home with 30, 40, 50... I know management likely cannot do anything about this.. But hopefully can let sheriffs/DFG know about this potential issue there especially after a trout plant. I could suggest that they inform people coming in that there is no fishing allowed from the shore/dock/walkway near the launch ramp. I have seen the sheriffs kick people off or away from there before, but they weren't there most of Sat am.

Obviously, I had your staff specifically investigate the matter of what I could and could not do with a float tube prior to purchasing my first setup (float tube/fins/vest/air compressor/etc.). The answers I got were that you could fish near the launch ramp in a float tube so long as you were not tied up to the launch ramp or impeding any boats from launching or returning. Obviously, it would not be a good idea to sit in the middle of the waterway to potentially get in the way of boaters. I was informed that you could float in the deeper waters near the launch ramp.

Again, focusing any efforts on a handful of float tubers who might come to enjoy some time on the water and catching a limit of trout is not where I think your problems are. Having 10-20 people fishing from the dock itself and taking much more than they should is.

Even if 10 float tubers came to pyramid over a few days after a trout plant.. That's 50 trout if they all limit out. I saw 3 guys do that easily in the 1 1/2 hr we were there... And likely more after we left. But I guess it's better to stop me from trying to catch my limit of 5.

I basically agree with the no fishing policy from the shore/dock/launch ramp. Fishing from the water in a float tube is allowed around the launch area/waterway. This was the information I was given after your staff member looked into the issue with management/sheriffs. Again, I had your staff make sure that this was correct and that I was not going to violate any rules.

And I do think there is a difference between the people fishing/poaching illegally from the dock/shore and the float tubers... By purchasing a float tube and having paid the extra vessel fee... I think that enables us access that the shore fisherman do not...

PM sent.

Thank you.

pyramidrose
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
The person they you said gave you this information will be dealt with as she is new. We have carried out the same rules and regulations that have been in place for years. You seem to be missing the whole issue. it is not you, float tubers or anyone else that we are out to get, as you put it. I personally closed down the gatehouse and drove to the launch as soon as I heard that people were fishing off the docks and in the launch area. At this time i saw four float tubes and one man on the dock fishing. I told the man to get off the dock and asked everyone to move out of the immediate launch area. You edited your original post showing all the tubers in the launch area twenty feet from the ramp, all we are asking is that you move out of the LAUNCH AREA!! This is our final post on this thread! We have written an apology and if that is not good enough than so be it!!

dkinla
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
I can send you the links to my videos again. You will see that there is only one other float tuber with us that am... At least while I was there... You can see that one other tuber in the picture at the beginning of my post. I'm sure more float tubers must've shown up after we left. And please do not accuse me of editing my post to remove videos showing more float tubers when there were only 2 of us there while I was actually there. I removed my video links due to mgmt's insensitive comments about calling what my father was enjoying as "not fishing"... After many years of being away at college, medical school, internship, residency, fellowship... I finally am back to spend some time with my father after all those years...

Anyhow, I hope that your staff member does not get in trouble. That person asked others/sheriffs what the policies were. That person only relayed the information to me. That person DID NOT make the call on their own.

Next time, we will just fish further away from the launch ramp as you have made clear. I just hope DFG/Sheriffs can keep people fishing off of the dock/walkway.

This will be my last post here in the Pyramid forum. I was pretty excited about Pyramid lake having its own section here in the forum.

Thank Mark for the apology for me.

I'll continue to post in other sections of this forum.. I have in the past.. And the community has been nothing but encouraging and supportive. Thank you all for the nice comments in my prior posts.

I have tried to be very reasonable here and thoughtful. I hope people continue to make this forum a very informative and supportive community. Most real fisherman I've come to know and meet have always been great people who like to share their fish stories about the big one that got away.. And their family/friends who make it special.

Take care everyone and hope to meet some of you out by the lake or surf!

I definitely don't want this thread to turn into that "chicken chit ticket" thread on the Castaic forum. Lol.

marinate
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
The person they you said gave you this information will be dealt with as she is new. We have carried out the same rules and regulations that have been in place for years. You seem to be missing the whole issue. it is not you, float tubers or anyone else that we are out to get, as you put it. I personally closed down the gatehouse and drove to the launch as soon as I heard that people were fishing off the docks and in the launch area. At this time i saw four float tubes and one man on the dock fishing. I told the man to get off the dock and asked everyone to move out of the immediate launch area. You edited your original post showing all the tubers in the launch area twenty feet from the ramp, all we are asking is that you move out of the LAUNCH AREA!! This is our final post on this thread! We have written an apology and if that is not good enough than so be it!!

Wow, just wow. Someone is missing the point...and it isn't the original poster.

Hitts0n
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
DKINLA please continue to post your reports! Great j0b on getting your pops out there for some trout buddies!
Great reports like this make me like coming on this site and posting some reports! Please keep um coming br0 !

fish4anything
03-27-2012, 07:48 AM
DKINLA please continue to post your reports! Great j0b on getting your pops out there for some trout buddies!
Great reports like this make me like coming on this site and posting some reports! Please keep um coming br0 !

PM'd you my new number, Armando. Holla!

shinbob
03-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Dkinla, great report, good job in getting your dad on the fish and having a great time! If I were out there with my daughters, you bet I'd have them fish that area for a bit to have some fun, too.

As long as you're courteous about it, and willing to move out of the way, I don't see what the big deal is. It only becomes an annoyance when people fish the ramp area, and then glare at you if you dare launch/retrieve your boat over "their" spot. But you don't seem the type to do this.

Keep the reports coming, and hit me up when the water warms up and I'll take you out on my boat to try for some striper action. (bring sul-lang-tang, haha)

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I want to just chime in a bit here..

One needs to remember that the lake management group are NOT Avid fisherman but they DO share a love for fishing and the betterment of the lake..

I know this for a fact personally…

With that being said , they are only human as each and every one of us are, we make mistakes…sometimes misinterpret things..

Bottom line is there was some confusion and miscommunication…they have apologized and moved on which is exactly what is needed to be done…

If one wishes to NOT post on this forum because of that it is their own choice but to continue down the path to discredit them is wrong in too many ways..
(but I say post away)

Apologies have been made…

The lake staff has driven hard to bring good changes to the lake and continue to do so….

Let’s try to help support them…and in short edjucate them in some of the more detailed facets of the fishing world….which in turn will help them to facilitate proper protocal to run the lake in a more mindful way to lend itself to what the anglers need..

I’ll note I personally am not finding fault in the angler who originated the post…it’s just a little painful to watch some of the things go on and on and shift out of context…

With all that being said (my 2 cents)

Congrats on the catches…if it were me..I’d return with Pop’s and get on some more : )

Gary

Sakana
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow, just wow. Someone is missing the point...and it isn't the original poster.

Yeah, I had the same exact reaction. DKINLA going to miss your posts...

DarkShadow
03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
....all we are asking is that you move out of the LAUNCH AREA!! This is our final post on this thread! We have written an apology and if that is not good enough than so be it!!

So, what, by definition, is the "launch area?"

It seems that after a few posts from Pyramid Management, I am STILL unclear as what constitutes legal, versus not legal, and quite frankly, it seems EVERYONE there who enforces seems to not be on the same page. Obviously, that's not the fisherman's problem to deal with, but management.

Can you let us know the boundaries that are off limits then since there appears to be no clear definition, even after this thread has run its course?

drifter023
03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Can you let us know the boundaries that are off limits then since there appears to be no clear definition, even after this thread has run its course?

Yea that would be the area where you use the launch ramp to launch your boat. I would say if you are tubing go around the docks there and out of the launch ramp area and you would be ok. At Silverwood there are a few in pontoon type floats that anchor (tie up) by the ramps and make it a real pain when trying to trailer boats in the wind there. If anybody has done any kind of fishing for any amount of time I would think they would know the rules and not say well everybody else does it so I can to. Just what I have seen over the years Kinda like tieing up to the bouy lines we know not to do but:Crying: Any how do not take personal but just my view. Glad you had a good fish day.

fishfinder
03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
I want to just chime in a bit here..

One needs to remember that the lake management group are NOT Avid fisherman but they DO share a love for fishing and the betterment of the lake..

I know this for a fact personally…

With that being said , they are only human as each and every one of us are, we make mistakes…sometimes misinterpret things..

Bottom line is there was some confusion and miscommunication…they have apologized and moved on which is exactly what is needed to be done…

If one wishes to NOT post on this forum because of that it is their own choice but to continue down the path to discredit them is wrong in too many ways..
(but I say post away)

Apologies have been made…

The lake staff has driven hard to bring good changes to the lake and continue to do so….

Let’s try to help support them…and in short edjucate them in some of the more detailed facets of the fishing world….which in turn will help them to facilitate proper protocal to run the lake in a more mindful way to lend itself to what the anglers need..

I’ll note I personally am not finding fault in the angler who originated the post…it’s just a little painful to watch some of the things go on and on and shift out of context…

With all that being said (my 2 cents)

Congrats on the catches…if it were me..I’d return with Pop’s and get on some more : )

Gary

Very well said Gary. The only thing I would add is I have been told not to fish from the launch area with my boat and float tube and respect that. Been the rules for years. Most people know that but just fish there til the sheriff chases them off.

Lady Quagga
03-28-2012, 11:55 AM
The person they [sic] you said gave you this information will be dealt with

She said with a menacing tone.

Pure charm.

Perhaps USFS or whichever managing agency should require concessionaires to attend a public relations seminar or two....

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I've got only TWO things to add, and this will be my last re: this thread:

LIFE IS NOT A PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED, BUT A GIFT TO BE ENJOYED.

KINDNESS IS A LANGUAGE WHICH THE DEAF CAN HEAR AND THE BLIND CAN SEE..

Lady Quagga
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
i've got only two things to add, and this will be my last re: This thread:

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a gift to be enjoyed.

Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see..

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

We have two ears and one mouth and need to use them proportionately.

The power of the clarity of all the senses we have allows you to empower your message to those around you.

A great networker must use all this available resources to become an even better listener and grow continuosly.

Which senses are you using right now?

P.S. U are NOT a girl as noted in ur avatar...we KNOW who you are really

Lady Quagga
03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
P.S. U are NOT a girl as noted in ur avatar...we KNOW who you are really

I'm not? Hmm....in that case, I wonder if I can sue my mother's obstetrician for malpractice. Chromosome check on aisle four!

So much for your previous post on this thread being your last, eh?

gletemfeelsteelgary
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm not? Hmm....in that case, I wonder if I can sue my mother's obstetrician for malpractice. Chromosome check on aisle four!

So much for your previous post on this thread being your last, eh?

REMEMBER…I fish….therefore I lie !

Well if your aforementioned statement is true then come out and OUTFISH me as indicated…

In FACT GIRL or not (we already know that U aren’t) come outfish me anyways…

PLEASE…then we can actually see a catch related post from you and your alter EGO

Fresh…

Salt..

River

Duct

LA Riverbed

ANY species..

OR at LEAST post up a fish report…not just mayhem instigating Booolcrap

fishfinder
03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Well if your aforementioned statement is true then come out and OUTFISH me as indicated…

In FACT GIRL or not (we already know that U aren’t) come outfish me anyways…

PLEASE…then we can actually see a catch related post from you and your alter EGO

Fresh…

Salt..

River

Duct

LA Riverbed

ANY species..

OR at LEAST post up a fish report…not just mayhem instigating Booolcrap

I wil come out and fish with you. I need lessons. I believe in not hook and release. lol

Lady Quagga
03-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Um, no.

Fishing with a strange man in order to meet some challenge fabricated in his own mind is not my idea of a good time. In fact, it borders on slimy. I'd much prefer fishing with my spouse and kids.

And it would do nothing to address the tone and professionalism used by concessionaires when responding to a responsible angler patronizing the lake, who happened to spend some quality time with his family and got read the riot act for it.

That about wraps you up, doesn't it?

TroutOnly
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Barstow is the desert,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think you need more of those drugs,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

drifter023
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
I definitely don't want this thread to turn into that "chicken chit ticket" thread on the Castaic forum. Lol.
I think it just did:Rolls Eyes: