PDA

View Full Version : river by 605 and 60fwy?

flyhigh123
03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
everytime i drive by the 605 fwy passing by the 60fwy, i see this stream/river that doesnt look like the standard la runoffs.... its got a lot of water and vegetation on both sides.

Is this fishable and if so what kind of fish? thanks!

fishfnatic
03-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I pass that "river" 2 times every day during the week to and from work. If you can fish it that would be exciting.

Fishnfun
03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
It's part of the San Gabriel River. I fly fished there a couple of time a few years ago but skunked both times. You can park on the street in a dead end circle on Durfee Ave near Peck Rd and walk south on Peck Rd towards the Peck Rd overpass to an opening to the bike path and river. Or, you can park at the Nature Park on Durfee Ave, walk to the back park fence, turn left and walk until you get to the path opening to the bike path/river. They claim there is catchable fish down there. Here's a link with more info.

http://urbanflyventures.com/2008/09/29/san-gabriel-river-bed/

There must be Tilapia in the water. Here's another older link with some pics of the catch.

http://urbanflyventures.com/category/tilapia/

fishfnatic
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
It's part of the San Gabriel River. I fly fished there a couple of time a few years ago but skunked both times. You can park in a dead end circle on Durfee Ave near Peck Rd and walk south towards the Peck Rd overpass to an opening to the bike path and river. Or, you can park at the Nature Park on Durfee Ave, walk to the back of the park to a opening to the bike path/river. They claim there is catchable fish down there. Here's a link with more info.

http://urbanflyventures.com/2008/09/29/san-gabriel-river-bed/

Well looks like my work day just got a bit longer. Hopefully no one tells the wife... Thanks for the info!

MikesOcean
03-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Pretty Crazy!! I live a mile away from there. All these years I thought it was sewer water!

flyhigh123
03-23-2012, 09:53 PM
i think i'm gonna go check it out tomorrow... lol... its really close to me... said that it has great fly fishing!

k7q
03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
i been there. looks polluted/dirty. i seen a school of baby channel cats a while back. i know there is carp in there. no bass though. hundreds of blue gils.

Troutman65
03-24-2012, 01:38 AM
I like how in the link it says this , Please don’t Eat any of the fish.

Danny300
03-24-2012, 04:34 AM
You can catch carp, channel cats & bluegill out of there.

Breaking Bass
03-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I see it all the time and the first thing that comes to mind is Carp Heaven

Fishnfun
03-24-2012, 10:06 AM
There must also be Tilapia in the water. Here's another older link with some pics of the catch.

http://urbanflyventures.com/category/tilapia/

Danny300
03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
If you want tilapia your better of going to Legg Lake. You can get some nice sized ones, you just gotta find the schools.

TUNAVIC
03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
There's definitly fish in there,carp,sometimes catfish,talapia,I've seen em all.

carpanglerdude
03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Suup guys. I've been down to that spot.

Video footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_16f-Yfh5M

Report: I didn't catch any fish, but I saw one other angler fishing. There is a LOT of water back there, some homeless shanties and horseback riders. Also, very polluted. Still, it looks like a fun urban creek/river area to check out!

ako
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Suup guys. I've been down to that spot.

Video footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_16f-Yfh5M

Report: I didn't catch any fish, but I saw one other angler fishing. There is a LOT of water back there, some homeless shanties and horseback riders. Also, very polluted. Still, it looks like a fun urban creek/river area to check out!

great videos! especially love the underwater shots. i've been doing some LA river fishing, but haven't been able to find any of the sweet looking spots you got to.

flyhigh123
03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
went there for about 2 hours... no bites, but i could see that there is fish there... but i don't think there is alot... not this time of year... but anyways, very interesing indeed!

I must have fished on the homes of many homeless people as they are the ones who have opened up the river entries from the shrubbary.

I did go to the peck overpass, but the water there is so shallow, maybe a foot, so i didnt see anything.

Maybe i'll give it a try in late spring.

I did see a few turtles and some baby fry ( or mosquito fish)

carpanglerdude
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear from someone else who has fished that section of the river. I also spotted a lot of mosquito fish but didn't see anything else. There is an abundance of cover for fish, it's odd that there aren't more sunfish-well, maybe not, considering the loads of houses right next to the water. I'm sure the bait n' wait crowd cleaned out much of that stretch of the San Gabriel a long time ago :(

LGHT
03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I think I took a dump their about 20 years ago after a party in El monte when we got lost.

flyhigh123
04-12-2012, 11:08 PM
gonna hit this up for maybe an hour tomorrow after work around 5:30. Gonna give the carp bite a try. If anyone wants to check it out, PM me and i'll see you there... lol

DarkShadow
04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I think I took a dump their about 20 years ago after a party in El monte when we got lost.

So that WASN'T a Baby Ruth bar that I thought was floating there.

Good thing I didn't snag that log.

flyhigh123
04-14-2012, 01:17 AM
terrible, however did see a few carp/fish surface.....

the rain made the water really muddy and too much flow

Cartman
04-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I am sure there are some good carp fishing spots down there. I fished one spot once with Vortec_Cruiser, and the water was deep and slow, but no bites. I think we parked at the end of Thienes Ave. There was a sophisticated "homeless" encampment (homeless in parentheses because they had set up a regular living room with all kinds of regular furniture) in the wood right on the shore, and there were vaqueros. From the aerial photo the opposite shore looks pretty good, but I don't know how one would access that. There appears to be an official looking facility there, maybe a water treatment plant which is probably not very friendly, but there is also a nursery, probably a commercial facility with some sort of public access.

carpanglerdude
04-14-2012, 09:33 AM
There is a water treatment plant, discharging a lot of treated water right at the intersection of the two freeways. When I fished it, one gentleman with a carp/catfish setup was fishing right at the large pool where the water was being discharged. I fished the north side of the creek, but it looked like there was decent access on the south side as well.

parkermann2
04-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I was looking on Google earth and saw a bunch of reservoirs along the 605. Has anyone fished them??

Cartman
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
There is a water treatment plant, discharging a lot of treated water right at the intersection of the two freeways. When I fished it, one gentleman with a carp/catfish setup was fishing right at the large pool where the water was being discharged. I fished the north side of the creek, but it looked like there was decent access on the south side as well.

I'm wondering if there is something the fish especially like about the treated water or if the treated water deters them. There is a spot on the LA River just below Balboa (you can reach it walking from the lake) that I have heard is good for carp fishing. I'm guessing that spot gets treated water from the Sepulveda Basin Water Treatment Plant. It is similar to the spot I think we are referring to near the 605 and 60. Both are near what looks like a dam or water fall that may back up the water into a pool. Pool...treated water...carp?

carpanglerdude
04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I was looking on Google earth and saw a bunch of reservoirs along the 605. Has anyone fished them??

You are probably seeing Peck Park (public access), Irwindale pits (private) and Santa Fe Dam (public). There's a few ninja posts on the forum about Irwindale, with rumors of smallmouth, monster catfish and more, but it is strictly illegal to fish there. I wouldn't recommend it.