PDA

View Full Version : Re-carpeting bass boat

christopherstellar
03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Guys,

I have a 1985 Ranger I am looking to re-carpet. Does anyone have an idea of how much something like that costs?

Karyn
03-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Are you doing it yourself or having it professionally done? If you are a DIY kinda guy, you can get some good quality carpet through Carbella's for a reasonable price. (I got the mid grade). It's pretty easy to do...

Which Way Out
03-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I was gonna say check with Karyn

She beat me to it. Her boat came out real nice

Karyn
03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I was gonna say check with Karyn

She beat me to it. Her boat came out real nice

WWO- you're a funny one! Yep : ) It did come out REAL nice. Still learning how to back up. Thinking about going to truck driving school, kinda like a second career just in case I get teacher burn out.

On a serious note, it was easy to do, quick... and the nice thing about the carpet I chose is the hooks do not get caught up in it and it's easy to clean. Keepin life simple : )

Thanks for the compliment WWO : )

christopherstellar
03-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks Karyn for the quick response. I haven't decided which way I will go, but how much do you guys think it will cost to get done professionally?

christopherstellar
03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm also looking to re-power my boat with a newer model 4 stroke 200 HP engine so I can hit up Diamond Valley, anybody have any suggestions on what dealers to visit while I am shopping?

Karyn
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Good luck... I have no idea where you would go??? Since I am on a teachers salary (pd 10 mths out of the year) I didn't want any payments! No thank you. So, I have a fabulous teeenny tiny- 12 foot Valco boat- bought it for $950 and have $2,000 in it now(stripped down the paint, repainted, carpeted, new seats, rod holders, Blue Moon holders, little compartments, replaced the bearings on the trailer, DMV fees- yadda yadda..) and it's everything would need...it's real simple. Nothing hard to fix or work on, can tow it with my JK, and it's all mine.

Not to brag, but it looks and feels great! If I could only learn how to back up! Still working on it.

Keepin it real simple.

If you are buying it new, you might want to go to Oregon :)

SDDave
03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Check out bass boat central and look in the restorations page...

Guys,

I have a 1985 Ranger I am looking to re-carpet. Does anyone have an idea of how much something like that costs?

one2play
03-24-2012, 06:08 AM
I have an 1980 ranger, I found a guy in the high desert who did it for $600.00 and that was with new carpet on the trailer

DockRat
03-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm also looking to re-power my boat with a newer model 4 stroke 200 HP engine so I can hit up Diamond Valley, anybody have any suggestions on what dealers to visit while I am shopping?
What year is the boat ?

Might be cheaper to get another boat unless your ok putting
$10,000 - $15,000 into your older boat ?

Lots of boats for sale and deals to be had.
DR

christopherstellar
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
The boat is a 1985 Ranger 395 vs, I just do not want to shell out 40k for a newer model Ranger. Are their any similar brands in terms of quality that you guys would consider?

christopherstellar
03-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Dock rat,
It's funny you say there are deals to be had because it seems every bass boat I have looked at over the past 2 months has been over priced versus the NADA retail value. I don't want to low ball any body on their boat but I also don't want to pay a 30% premium.

Karyn
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Dock rat,
It's funny you say there are deals to be had because it seems every bass boat I have looked at over the past 2 months has been over priced versus the NADA retail value. I don't want to low ball any body on their boat but I also don't want to pay a 30% premium.

My cousin went to a boat yard and traded in his motor for the newer one- paid the difference; nonetheless, it might be an option for you? There's always Craigs List... maybe auctions? Just thinkin'

Personally, I didn't want to get into debt. I found a TON of real nice boats- already fixed up and ready to go, but they didn't fit my needs, my budget, and my bucket list; besides, it was fun fixing it up- doing all the manly man things- using the power tools :) Yep. It was good therapy.

TroutOnly
03-25-2012, 09:49 PM
recarpeting can be easy or very difficult ,im just getting done redecking remodeling and recarpeting my boat ,but i cheated ive been in the flooring buisness for 38 yrs and have put vinyl carpet and tile on and in everything you could emagine,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,

Dr. MindBendo
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Google Bass Boat Central.com, they have a bass boat restoration column. You'll find all the answers to the re-carpeting there.

KID CREOLE
03-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Gotta agree with DR on this, also make sure you boat can handle the weight of a 4 stroke. If you're going to keep the boat you might consider a emission compliant 2 stroke, Etech, Optimax or HPDI

What year is the boat ?

Might be cheaper to get another boat unless your ok putting
$10,000 - $15,000 into your older boat ?

Lots of boats for sale and deals to be had.
DR

DockRat
03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Dock rat,

Never shopped bass boats but there is some screaming deals out there on larger SW boats.
The high price of fuel helps run the price down.

Personally I feel there is too many WannaBe Pro Bass guys out there.
We take my buddies Ranger 24' Bayrunner out with a Merc 250 4 stroke and will
burn 100 gallons in a day running offshore into Mexico. $:Shocked:$

Guys fishing these little FW ponds like DVL should consider LESS HP.

War with Iran and $7 a gallon gas, I'd prefer a 50 hp to 100 hp over a 150 hp +.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj599/GwennLuhvv/3148008-high-gas-prices-v6-shows-prices-of-above-six-dollars-a-gallon.jpg