PDA

View Full Version : Trout and one bass 3/22

CraigH
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Felt like getting a trout dinner yesterday so I headed to Perris. Got there around 11:00, and caught a five trout limit by 3:30 using nightcrawlers at lots 11-12. Largest was about a pound so no pics. I also worked a hammered copper spoon and caught (and released) about a 12 inch bass while waiting for the trout to bite.

Kelster
03-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Nice, thanks for the report. Getting about that time for me to take the tube to 11 &12

Natural Lefty
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Craig, did the trout look like holdovers? I went to Sail Cove pier and the marina docks yesterday afternoon, and caught the only fish I saw at caught at Sail Cove, an 11-12 inch bass, and the only fish I saw caught at the docks, a decent size 7-8 inch Bluegill. Fishing was unusually slow, but as usual, I got lucky relative to most people. I think the storm cooled off the fishing, except for trout at lots 11-12. That was about the slowest fishing I have ever seen at the docks, in fact. Yet, there were regular splashes in the area every minute or two. I think they were most likely juvenile bass. One guy was trying to catch them with flies, but no success. There were also a few little Bluegill-type dimples on the surface.

CraigH
03-23-2012, 02:17 PM
My best guess is that the first (and largest) trout was a holdover and the other four were recent stocks. The first one had more color, hit lite, and wasn't hooked deep. The next four were all about the same size, had very little color, and hit hard. The guy fishing next to me even commented that I was getting good, solid hits when most others weren't even getting bit.

I just started fishing Perris this February, and it seems like the pattern is changing with the warmer weather. I usually fish bait on one rod and work lures with the other. Back in Feb and early March I was catching one or two trout on bait (mostly powerbait) and the rest on lures. Last week I got skunked, but watched a guy fishing worms catch three or four trout. This week I brought the crawlers and switched between them and powerbait on the bait rod, and only got bites on the worms. Tried spoons and mini jigs on the lure rod and didn't catch anything except the bass. This was the first bass I've caught fishing that area.

Sublime-Steve
03-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Nice.. they stocked trout on thur and i only managed a few all released, The other day i was bombing powerbait waaaay out there off the docks in the boat launch area to the right and casting about 11 o clock. and got a few nice sized trout full tails. i think there in shallow before **** gets to hot. havent got a bass @ perris awhile.. i think my time is due

Natural Lefty
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
That sounds about right, Craig. I have noticed an increase in holdovers at Perris from March until sometime in May, then the trout stop biting. More and more of the other warm water species should be biting throughout that period though.

Steve, I am glad you were successful with the powerbait. It looks like the holdovers are out there.

JigStop
03-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I think you need at least 80-90ft of water to retain hold-overs. Perris used to be great for them until they drew the water down for the dam repairs.