PDA

View Full Version : Bishop 3/20-21

PilgrimDG
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Made a quick trip up to Bishop this week. Started off fishing the traps in Lone Pine. Both were full of fish and were hitting almost every fly I threw at them. They were all 8-11 inches. We might have had hundreds if we stayed. We made it to the Power Plant above PVR in the afternoon and fished the river all the way down to the reservoir. I float tubed down the river, which I wouldn't recommend, unless you are feeling lucky. I caught a few brooks in the river. At the river mouth/start of the reservoir it was wide open. I was hooking up rainbows and browns every ten minutes at least while nymphing. Someone said they pulled out a 20" earlier in the day. Small streamers seemed to be working too. Then next morning we headed to Five Bridges and waded the Owens. I caught three browns to 13" but didn't see a single Bow, which was surprising because I'd heard they stocked the past weekend. They hit Pheasant Tails and WD-40s. At Line St. it was a little slower. I caught a Rainbow with a Hare's Ear fished deep and saw a few pulled out with crickets. All my fish were released. I'd like to go back up and pontoon drift/fish the Lower Owens. Has anyone ever done it in a personal pontoon? Would it even be enjoyable?

kenny8308
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip cant wait to get out there. Thanks for the report.

Viejo
03-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Wow....quite the adventure. Were you sober when you float tubed the Owens? It's not a river that lends itself to safe float tubing and after this weekend and flows over 400cfs starting up....it's suicidal. Pontoon boating is a bit more sensible if your skill levels are high.
Oh and congratulations on catching the Brook Trout in the Owens. Too bad you didn't get pictures of your "Brookies".

PilgrimDG
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Oops good catch. They were browns that I caught above PVR. Flows were definitely not 400cfs this week. Less than 200 is my guess.

JohnnyBoy
03-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Thank you for taking the time to report. What streamers were you throwing ? Also, on the streamers were you using a floating, sink tip, or sinking line ?

PilgrimDG
03-25-2012, 06:48 AM
The streamer guys were using sparsely tied Assassins with a light maribou tail. Floating line with an 8ft. leader below an indicator I think.