PDA

View Full Version : ice jigs??

Fishthewhaler
03-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Looking for info on the " ice jigs" I haven't seen them, used them, but inquiring minds want to know..what do they look like? thks
FTW

karalm
03-22-2012, 05:53 AM
See picture below:

Use a 7' Medium w/ fast tip and about 10 lb and baitcasting, no spinning for doing this. Drop straight down to the bottom and jerk up hard again and again. Generally works for "schooled bass" in water temp 49-52 degrees. You need a meter to look for the schools and have the best luck but we are generally past the time now for using this technique IMHO

Danny300
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
I'd also recommend the Salmo Chubby Darter & Live Target Bluegill Vibration Trap. both work great also.

bassgrabber1
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
See picture below:

Use a 7' Medium w/ fast tip and about 10 lb and baitcasting, no spinning for doing this. Drop straight down to the bottom and jerk up hard again and again. Generally works for "schooled bass" in water temp 49-52 degrees. You need a meter to look for the schools and have the best luck but we are generally past the time now for using this technique IMHO
Pete has taught you well....I still suck at it....lol

karalm
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes he has and "is the man" in teaching me the few things I know..... Glad you can recognize "his touch" in the response. I have learned a great deal in a short time from him.

seal
03-22-2012, 12:36 PM
What's the logic on no spinning? Line capacity?

Pete Marino
03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Line capacity isnt really the reason for baitcaster over spinning.. Its more the line size, and rod action...also line twist gets HORRIBLY bad when using a spinning reel for this technique.

Its not so much a mandatory type thing its more a convenience, efficientcy and productiveness thing using the baitcaster over the spinning..

And dont close your eyes to a specific time of year... YES the Ice Jig is extremely effective during the winter...ITS ALSO GOOD ANYTIME the bass are schooled up in deeper water.. Id say 30 ft or deeper...which means the fall, late spring and Summer too..

Pete

seal
03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Pete I asked the question because I have used spinning for ice jigs, but I use a wide arbor reel and always have my line conditioner ready.

Certainly haven't done it a ton, mostly out on Lake Mead and would never disagree with your opinion!

Pete Marino
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
No worries Seal.... My words are by no means the end all..
I have clients that swear they cant use the baitcaster but then Ill have them use it for the ice jig and they do great at it..Then there are guys who would rather use the spinning and quickly see the hassles on line twist and they also see how much more effective using the baitcaster is...
That being said...some guys like the spinning... It is what it is.. confiecence is 1/2 the battle in this sport...If you have confidence in something stick with it...

For instance...I wont hesitate to throw a 3/4 oz tailspin on a spinning real with 6lb flouro if the bite is really tough... Its a bit outside the box but its a setup that Ive caught TONS of big bass on during the toughest Winter bite...when nothing else would work, even a tailspin on heavier line with a baitcaster..

Pete

Fishthewhaler
03-23-2012, 12:09 AM
See picture below:

Thank you. I want to use them on stripers at castaic, thanks for the response

I'd also recommend the Salmo Chubby Darter & Live Target Bluegill Vibration Trap. both work great also.
I am going to ggogle those, thanks

Line capacity isnt really the reason for baitcaster over spinning.. Its more the line size, and rod action...also line twist gets HORRIBLY bad when using a spinning reel for this technique.

Its not so much a mandatory type thing its more a convenience, efficientcy and productiveness thing using the baitcaster over the spinning..

And dont close your eyes to a specific time of year... YES the Ice Jig is extremely effective during the winter...ITS ALSO GOOD ANYTIME the bass are schooled up in deeper water.. Id say 30 ft or deeper...which means the fall, late spring and Summer too..

Pete
I hate line twist..I want to try them when the stripers are on the deeper structure/ambush spots..Thanks

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-23-2012, 06:50 AM
i know of some of the reg.boat guys,at the pudd being very successful ,with ice jigs.they catch giant crappies also.its diffently a good tool ,to have rigged on your boat ,when u see fish suspended say 30ft to 40ft.and fish are at differant depths.

Fishthewhaler
03-28-2012, 02:09 AM
i know of some of the reg.boat guys,at the pudd being very successful ,with ice jigs.they catch giant crappies also.its diffently a good tool ,to have rigged on your boat ,when u see fish suspended say 30ft to 40ft.and fish are at differant depths.

I just hit the TW website and ordered a few colors/sz. I should have asked a while ago. I have heard about them for a few years, just didn't ask. I appreciate all of the feedback.
FTW