PDA

View Full Version : Help a Noobie: LNL fishing?

flyhigh123
03-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm new to fishing, well , i mean i haven't fished in ages, and just recently got the bug and loving it ( even though I haven't caught anything).

I've rounded a few buddies to go to LNL this weekend, since they stock and hoping we can catch a few fish ( trying to get them hooked, my friends). It'll be my first time out there. Plan on fishing trout, but am open to any other fish as well.

can you guys who have fished LNL, give me a few tips and tricks? What size hook should I use? How should I tie it? I'm probably shore fishing for a bit, and maybe renting a boat. I have powerbait, and berkely trout worm. I also bought a few flies.

I have a few nightcrawlers as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BigSerb
03-22-2012, 07:31 AM
From shore hit up zone 2 ( bench next to tree), I was there three months ago caught 4 trout and friendo got 4. Used I think it was pink or orange powerbait (no other color seemed to work) and 12-18 inch leader with sliding sinker or snap sinkers. Best advice is to talk to the guys that work there. They are more than happy to help with any questions you have. Seen them setup and bait and throw for little kids there. Finally get there early.

allanon
03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
I would recommend zone 2 as well. Its been the best area from shore lately.

Toughest thing to figure out with LNL is whether the fish have gone shallow or are swimming in deeper water.
Recently they have been going very shallow, like 10-15 feet out from shore shallow. But i have been there when they were deep too, so I usually cast 1 rod deep and 1 shallow and see what happens.

usual stuff works there - powerbait, nightcrawlers, micetails, powermouse....
if on a boat - go to the "flats" - i have done very well just off the buoy located there...

I'll be out there with my Dad and a friend on Sat. Hope to see you there.

Tight lines everyone!

flyhigh123
03-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the great advice!

May I ask what size hook and sinkers?

Thanks!

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
It really depends. Since you cannot catch and release fish from shore, I would use a powermouse combo on a #16 treble hook. I have gone there many times and limited out about 90% of the time. Take a treble hook, hook an orange worm to it (powerworm is what i use) and put a ball of rainbow powerbait on it. As for what sized weight, it all depends on wind, cast distance, and rod type. Personally, I like using a slip sinker but it takes forever and a day to make the leader with a swivel and bead. I usually stick a quarter ounce split shot about 8 inches from the hook. This way, you can move the split to fit how deep the fish are and if you need to cast further, up the weight if needed.

flyhigh123
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks Sir Snags! For the treble and the power bait, does the powerbait cover the whole hook and does the worm hook onto just one of the 3 hooks on the treble?

I might rent a boat. If I do rent a boat, does that change the plan?

white belt
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Mice tail on a size 8 red mosquito hook carolina rigged with a 1/4 oz egg.

flyhigh123
03-22-2012, 01:02 PM
once again, very much appreciated! i'm looking forward to fishing this lake.

For all the pay lakes, which ones do you guys rank from best to worst?

Thanks!

Matt44
03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Lnl is by far the best in my opinion irvine is great corona and sarl are usually a zoo! But pink and white plastics work really well at laguna also powerbait in spring green usually gets em! Use scent siberian garlic oil or pro cure sweet corn always produces for me. Check with the front desk flies also work thy have patterns in the store. I usually rent a boat but guys on the shore nail them as well small hooks and number 5 split shots is all u need

smokehound
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Try power nymphs! (not nymph powerbait)

Green-chartreuse, Olive-Pearl-herring, and Toad are killer.

LGHT
03-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Try power nymphs! (not nymph powerbait)

Green-chartreuse, Olive-Pearl-herring, and Toad are killer.

I use those and they work great, but I float tube the lake and usually in deeper water.

flyhigh123
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
made it out today, caught 1 fish, but from everyone i spoke to, not a great day. I don't think anyone on the boats caught anything. I fished zone 2 as my buddies bailed.

I did meet another FSN member, forgot his SN, but a really nice guy and also gave me his 2 fish when we left due to being rained out.

Looking forward to going again! Hopefully the trout are still biting next time i go.

FishEye
03-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Try the inlet and the canal. Should be killer right now due to the rain we just had. Powerworms with 12"-18" leader and a split shot. Good luck!