PDA

View Full Version : Something strange in this trout,.....

rufustf
08-18-2007, 09:32 AM
About a month ago I took my annual hiking/fishing excursion into the back country out of Agnew meadows, Mammoth Lakes and hit up Garnet Lake, Altha lake, Shadow lake and creek. All were great, though one thing had me concerned. My lady caught a nice one at altha lake, but we couldn't/wouldn't eat it. There were these weird white grainy oval things all over the inside of the fish. Looked kinda like oatmeal or some weird grain. Obviously a parasite, we decided it best to bury it instead of eat it. Anyone here know about this parastie? Does it affect the meat?
Oh, some bad news for back country anglers; the plan these days is to get rid of the trout in many of the area lakes. They feed on the native frog eggs and the trout are not indigenous to that area of the sierras. Laura lake is already void of trout, though I saw some tiny one inchers that looked like they could be little ones.
A few pics:

trouttroller
08-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Good Idea not to eat the fish, don't know what the deal was with the fish, but the stocking was stopped to protect the frogs, it turns out that fungus was the cause of the frogs dieing off, read it in won this week.

rufustf
08-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Is it possible that they may stock the back country lakes again since it's a fungus, not the trout? That would be awesome, thought the fiching up there really is tough to beat. It's almost not very sporting, catching a fish on almost every cast like that.
Any bona-fide ichthyologists here? I really am quite curious about that parasite, if that's what it was.