PDA

View Full Version : Scam ? - ? - ?

DockRat
03-21-2012, 01:51 PM
So I'm sell a 13' Boston Whaler part; This guy has sent me 5 emails over the last few days.

Here is my ad;

13' Boston Whaler (middle section) - $30 (Redondo )
Date: 2012-03-17, 9:37PM PDT
Reply to: your anonymous craigslist address will appear here
1972 13' Whaler cross section. Center counsel.
Mahogany painted white. Has the steering wheel mount and cup holders and glove box. Also separate shifter mount part, see small mahogany part (broken).
Strip it, paint it, or run it as is. $30. obo

HIS EMAILS BELOW; WILL A CHECK COME ? SCAMMER ?
His Emails were spaced out 1 - 2 days apart. He goes buy J R.

1) Hi,
Am glad it's available. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Thanks

2) Your payment will be sent ASAP please consider it sold. I will appreciate if the ad is taken off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.

3) I urgently have to bring something to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another transaction was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the balance to me via western union. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at rest.
Thanks

4) Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I am sure you will get payment very soon. Please let me know as soon as you have received it so i can tell you where to send my balance and also schedule pick-up. You can deduct the western union fees from my money.

I'm waiting to see if a check comes. I did send him my address and ph# after the 1st email.
Pulled the ad after the second email.
Do you think a check will come ?

OPINIONS ? Thanks DR

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/chimera06/bullshitting.gif

.:LOLLY:.
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
It would have been believable if he was going on vacation to Nigeria :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

surfmaster
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
SCAM!! I got similar e-mails when I put something up on craigslist. Ignore those.

ushone
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
you think hes trying to scam you for the "2nd check"?....just return w/e he sent you, and have him meet you in person with cash....or even just meet in person without the cash, most of the time the scammer wont want to give up their identity..so if he gets sketchy after u ask to meet in person, id assume scam.

DockRat
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
3 responses in 4 minutes, wow.
It smells scammy but if a check comes
then I'll keep the money till he picks it up.
To Scam the Scammer, that would be great.
Sounds like he is sending a fake/forged Money Order ?
Trying to get my bank account # ?
DR

ushone
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
you could always hop onto 419 eater. c0m....im sure those guys could help u scam the scammer if thats what it is

shinbob
03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
100% scam. I get these all the time. This scam depends on a federal law that forces banks to update your balance, even if the deposited check hasn't cleared yet. So when the check bounces, it's your responsibility to refund the money to the bank.

https://www4.harrisbank.com/PopUP+Content/Global+Popups/General+Harris/Security/Check+Scams

Skyler
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/841016_f520.jpg

evosamurai
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
DR its a total scam dude, my brother out an ad up for computer repairs on craiglist, and got similiar emails, where the person was going out of town. They sent him a $3,000 check and want him to cash it and send them money so they can send the computers. The catch is they are fake checks and will go through right away, but when the bank catches your stuck paying the money. He got 3 checks 1 from a bank and 2 cashier checks, luckily he was smart enough to do research on the checks and found the little flaws that would make them fake. watch out

also he called them out on it and they threatened him with some bs....we laughed

Mischief
03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
keep all the money!!!! lol

evosamurai
03-21-2012, 10:27 PM
DR here are some of the scam checks my brother receieved from craigslist, i just edited his name off the checks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/evosamurai/IMG_0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/evosamurai/IMG_0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/evosamurai/IMG.jpg
Now these are 3 seperate transactions and these people agreed to $300-$400 for a few laptop repairs. So my bro gets these and starts looking into them big scams, and the people are always going on vacation, then they get mad when they get called on it, one guy threatened my brother this is a message from him "Hey,

what is going on with you? I have been waiting your mail since
Saturday and i sent you about three mails which i got no single reply
from you. Its really annoying and very pissing. It seems your not
taking me serious at all. Now listen and listen very carefully, i hope
your not trying to play pranks on me cuz if you do, i swear with my
daughter's life I'll make your life so miserable and make you regret
coming to this world. i'll give you till 4pm today to hear from you
for the updates. bye"..................

DarkShadow
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
When you work security for an email provider, you see the gamut of all the scams people pull.

My favorite though, has to be the email sent to hundreds of users, pretending to be Customer Support, asking them for their email passwords. The scammers will open free accounts at Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo, such as "customersupport@yahoo.com" and send to a bunch of users on the Yahoo system, and of course, they'll get people to respond. Once they get their passwords, they 'hack' into their email account, then send an email to ALL their users that appear in their Address Book.

The email?

Simply, it states that the person has taken a vacation overseas, and that they have lost their cell, wallet, passport, all cash, and make a desperate plea asking for money to be wired to a specific Western Union Account, so they can get back home. And of course, there will be some that will run out and follow the instructions, and end up sending their hard earned money never to be seen again.

evosamurai
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
in my brothers instance, he could have cashed the checks, then send the money and get screwed in the end.

Armofisher818
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Scammmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the first time I've seen something like this it's happened to l me too.

DockRat
03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Latest Email. Lol.
DR

Please let me know if you have received payment I am in London at the moment. If you have, you can go ahead and get it cashed at your bank,deduct your payment and send the balance via western union to the following details:

NAME OF RECEIVER: Jody Rocky
ADDRESS: 131 S Lambeth Rd,
CITY: LONDON
ZIP CODE: SW8 1XB

Please make sure you take care of everything today and send me the transfer details i.e Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) and the total amount sent after charges. I will need the money to take care of some pressing bills and pay for pick-up.
Waiting to read from you.

Cartman
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
This looks like a serious crime. Passing counterfeit US postal cashiers' checks is investigated by the US Secret Service.

DockRat
03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Got 2 Money Gram money orders to in the mail today.

Jason Mondez from Vista Ca.
Dude sent me 5 texts already.

'Did you get the checks ? Send me the money ASAP.'

Yah OK, LMAO

Sure I'll send $1800 to England.
DR

fishfinder
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
100% scam. I get these all the time. This scam depends on a federal law that forces banks to update your balance, even if the deposited check hasn't cleared yet. So when the check bounces, it's your responsibility to refund the money to the bank.

https://www4.harrisbank.com/PopUP+Content/Global+Popups/General+Harris/Security/Check+Scams

this is exactly what will happen to you if you put those checks in your bank. i did it a few years ago, but i asked my bank when i would know if they were good. they said in a week or 2. so i waited. guess what, they were bad.

DarkShadow
03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Got 2 Money Gram money orders to in the mail today.

Jason Mondez from Vista Ca.
Dude sent me 5 texts already.

'Did you get the checks ? Send me the money ASAP.'

Yah OK, LMAO

Sure I'll send $1800 to England.
DR

I say mess with him, DR.

Tell him that your bank's guard dog ate the check, and that he'll have to send you a new one.

See how long you can do this for. I had a guy send me 15 checks before he cursed me and called me 'a motherless goat.'