PDA

View Full Version : New Trout Bug (and a question.)

City Dad
03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I've been stoked by increase in fly fishing related posts here lately. Tried my hand at taking pics of mine last night but had mostly crappy results. You guys who are posting the cool fly pics - how are doing it? What's your setup?

Anyhow, below are the only two photos I could manage that weren't a blurry mess.

These are two new patterns I've been messing with.

This is my take on the Czech nymph. It's tied on a #14 scud hook with lead tape, the legs are the lower quills from a turkey flat (my nephew got the bird last year.) I'll fish it as the lead fly on a two fly rig - trailing a smaller darker fly, maybe a Copper John or a peasant tail.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/IMG_2363.jpg

This is a Zonker tied with lead tape as a keel. I've tied and fished Zonkers before, but with lead wire, the hook riding down. I think this style has a better profile and I imagine it'll have a bit of a wobble on the drop.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/IMG_2367.jpg

Go with Bigfoot.

DarkShadow
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Timothy,

If your camera has a 'Macro' mode, try checking its functionality. Should make capturing the smaller stuff easier.

We're giving the cat it's haircut soon, btw. Can't wait for some Feline Adams and Feline Ear's Hair Nymphs.

City Dad
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Timothy,

If your camera has a 'Macro' mode, try checking its functionality. Should make capturing the smaller stuff easier.

We're giving the cat it's haircut soon, btw. Can't wait for some Feline Adams and Feline Ear's Hair Nymphs.

Good idea. I'll try that.

If this cat fur thing works out I can see a whole new line of kinder, gentler dubbing.

Karyn
03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I have English Springer hair if you want some... two dogs worth :)

They look amazingly real! Great Job!

VIVID_FLY
03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
That first fly looks nice and buggy....

I was using a BELLOWS to get my Macro shots ... but alot easier to use the camera's Macro setting and external source of light ...

can you shoot me PM what you made that body from ...

<'(((((((((>< <'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><<'(((((((((><

Sublime-Steve
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
If ya want really nice shot's of your baits lemme know www.facebook.com/sublimesteve

PUDD MASTER BAITER
03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
nice job CD.that first one has panfish slayer, written all over it!!!!!

The Fishing Queen
03-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Wow, the first fly bug looks great! Just started to learn fly fishing, bought 4 flies from 'Bass Pro' last week and they cost over $11. Wish I can make my own flies to save some money. Wonder if parrots feather will work too?

DarkShadow
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Wonder if parrots feather will work too?

I've seen CityDad make flies with the tuft of BigFoot's toe fur. I'm sure he can work wonders with Parrot feathers. I've been trying to catch one from the flock of 100 that fly around my neighborhood during the day, but they are hard to catch, so I'm settling with cat fur instead.

smokehound
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I've got some asshair you could use. :LOL:

I like that grub, the abdomen looks real. The zonker looks like a great LMB/SMB fly!

ShoreTrouter
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Lol dang smokehound! Cats and dogs dont have arse hairs so it must be your "personal harvest."
Yeah that 1st fly looks very larvae-ish.