PDA

View Full Version : 3.16.12 fishing report report

marinate
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, this was my best day by far since fishing Irvine Lake. I have been out about seven times this season and never caught more than two or three...most of the time I would get skunked without even a nibble. I use both my inflatable kayak or my float tube I got for Christmas. But today I had a lot of action on one plastic: the pink power mouse with white head and pink tail dipped in Bite-On Roe. Carolina rigged on 4lb mono using my new Daiwa Fuego 1000 reel (great deal from Tackle Warehouse) and my 6'6" Turner Californian rod with fast tip I picked up on clearance for $20 (the old green ones). If you've noticed by now, I like giving details about my equipment because I really appreciate it when other do the same. I will try to give more details of my location, technique, and other factors as I continue with the report. Arrived at the lake around 7am. Normally, I arrive earlier but figured with the change in sunrise why try to set up in the dark. I used my Creek Company ODC /420L float tube with my new PVC rod holder setup I just built. Saw two other guys preparing their float tubes and one guy had the same float tube (wondered if he got the same deal from Cabelas).

Any way, on the water by 7:20 and headed over to Woody's Cove. The other two float tubers followed and one of them hooked up right away. By the way, we all launched near the boat dock in front of the tackle shop. After watching the other tuber hook up I too hooked up on the pink power mouse on a slow retrieve close to the bottom in about 20 feet of water. Aaahh the feel of that tug,tug...tug. It's been a long time since I felt that from my fishing pole. I immediately started thinking the fast tip action of the Californian rod helped translate the nibble more quickly and accurately compared to the moderate action of the Shimano Compre that I normally use. I continue deeper into the cove and about 15 mins. later I hook onto another fish. Today I was using a basket instead of a stringer for the first time and it showed. Got the fish unhooked and into my lap and was about to try and open the lid while lowering the fish then...one head shake later the fish bounced off my tube and swam away.

No worries though I had a good feeling the day was going to be good. I had no further luck at the cove so I made my way to Trout Island just up to the first yellow buoy. This is where I caught (well, almost caught) most of my fish. Even though the water was calm and the weather was cool and overcast the fish seemed to be holding deep. So I pretty much just dragged the power mouse along the bottom, again, with a slow retrieve with an occasional twitch of the rod. I proceeded to catch seven more fish. One lost on the way to the basket (again!) and the others broke off, one after getting tangled around my leg. Final count: four nice size stockers in the basket and five all the way to my tube but eventually farmed, and to me, just as good as a limit because of all the action I was getting. Feeling confident I even tried changing up using a red/white mini-tube jig with my Compre and Stradic CI4 4lb braid with two ft. mono leader. Unfortunately, no luck with this set up, in fact, I have yet to get even a nibble with a tube jig (I must be doing something wrong).

I'm still trying to figure out how to post a video but must convert from HD first (file too big). Anyways, I'm still a little excited I had a good day on Friday (for awhile there I was starting to get a bit discouraged, but I know skunks are part of the whole experience...that's why I keep at it!). I hope that others find the details about my equipment, lure used, technique, location, etc. helpful, if not, I'll try to improve my post next time.

Thanks for letting me share and hope all of you continue to have tight lines!

OC ANGLER
03-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Sounds like a fun day !

marinate
03-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Sounds like a fun day !

Yes, it was a fun day. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It helps when the fish are hungry too.

Moochie2124
03-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Great report love thee details always appreciative of a report like this where i can vision myself out there.