PDA

View Full Version : Good fishing at the Vine with an Epic Tale

VineAssist
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
After the rains anglers who hit Irvine Lake continued to find the trout bite and bass bite to be very good. On sunday alone three fish over the 8lb mark hit the scales at the Irvine Lake tackle shop. However, it was a fish that did not make it to the scales that is making the most noise here at Irvine Lake.

Billy Depriest of Pacific Coast Sportfishing headed out to Irvine Lake with his two kids and his dad to enjoy a day of trolling for trout at Irvine Lake. Billy was trolling deep with a downrigger rigged with a Lure Jehnsen Dodger size 00 with a small glow hoochie off the Trout Island area when the rod got slammed. The tale that follows is classic because I can only picture it in my head and imagine what the pandamoniam must have looked like. Billy fought the mystery fish for about an hour until it came boatside. All of a sudden this massive STURGEON is jumping and greyhounding across the lake like a Marlin! Here is Billy watching all of this while driving the boat and fighting the fish while Bill Sr is trying to keep the kids from getting super excited! Finally after around and hour and half Billy was able to subdue the beast! After a couple of attempts of trying to get the near 6ft STURGEON into the boat the avid anglers decieded that they needed to let this fish go! This is the story that I got relayed to me from Billy and he said " We knew we had a special fish but we where unable to weigh it and we knew that we had to let it go. So thats what we did. It took off into the depths to hopefully be caught again someday." Did a little research on weight to length ratio's on Sturgeon and talked to Steve Carson about it and both of us are saying this fish could have been anywhere from 80-100lbs. For any of you who dont know who Billy DePriest is he is the editor of Pacific Coast Sportfishing and quite the accomplished angler. He has participated in many Marlin and Mako Shark/ Thresher Shark tournaments held of our coast.

The trout bite would not be overshadowed by the epic tale above though as anglers who showed up caught not only quanity but plenty of quality as well. Anglers who trolled defintley found the better quality. The water does have a little color to it so brighter colored lures and scents are highly recommended.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/MEDIA4IRVINELAKE/P1050051.jpg
Diego Gamboa of Hacienda Heights used a mini jig dipped in Bite On Roe to land this 7.8lb Rainbow from his float tube. Diego was in Woodys Cove when the big bow bit.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/MEDIA4IRVINELAKE/P1050052.jpg
Mike Armstrong of Whittier used a Jointed 5 Firetiger Rapala to troll up this 8.2lb Rainbow Trout at the West Shore.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/MEDIA4IRVINELAKE/P1050053.jpg
Eric Mossman of Carson also capatalized on the troll bite at the West Shore. Eric used a Rapala lure to troll up this 8.8 Rainbow Trout.
Just a reminder to all anglers that this coming weekend, November 19th and 20th, is the Veterans Day Weekend Make UP tournament. The top 10 fish from this weekend Tournament will move on to the Masters. Then November 26th will be the Trout Tournament Turkey Shoot which is also a Masters Qualifier and is a $20 buy in. After that on December 3rd Irvine Lake will play host to the 1st ever Bite On Bonanza. This is going to be a very special tournament in which their will be a toy drive and a huge huge raffle. Details are available at our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.268114449891452.55791.161504543885777&type=3&saved#!/pages/Irvine-Lake/161504543885777?sk=wall,or you can visit Angler Brothers page as well. Hope to see everyone out here for our great events and great fishing.
Fresh One,
Jimmy

TaperSteve
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
100 POUND STURGEON OUTTA THE VINE!!!

Ohh man i'm sooo jealous!

Congrats on the catch of a lifetime!

TS

Steve Carson
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Jimmy, you forgot to add that the IGFA WORLD RECORD for sturgeon in the 6-pound line category is 81-8, making the catch that much more remarkable.
Of course Bill's lifetime of experience battling big fish helped him in this instance.
Because the fish was not "officially" weighed, it can't be the lake [or world] record, but it is indeed an amazing catch and certainly the Irvine Lake "unofficial" record!

trollmiester
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Man thats big ,remeber mine that i got at the vine was 23 pounds.