PDA

View Full Version : BBL Nov 13 - Water cooling ... trout heating up

etaggart
11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Snowboarded with the wife for the morning, and after hearing from Joe's Saturday afternoon troutfest by the Observatory, I got out there Sunday afternoon. Hit the water in the tube about 1pm, got off before 4pm. Air temp was OK - mid 40's, wind was breezy and steady, clouds were threatening in the distance, but the sun was out, water temp had cooled - not sure how much, but definitely getting cooler.

After about 5 minutes I got my first hit, very light tap on the fly. Got a few more until I found I had to stop the fly right after the tap, let it sink a little and move slowly then let the fish pick it up again once or twice. Finally landed my first one after missing 3 or four - Spit the hook right when I got it into the net and jumped back in the water while I was taking off gloves to get camera. Kept working the same area getting more occasional light taps. Landed my second (pic below).

Most were around 10' down and south-west of the observatory jetty. Got two more as time went on, but couldn't get pix in time. One gave a long fight and got totally tangled in my bobber-line. Had to cut that line and pack it away for the rest of the afternoon.

Got one hard hit on the powerworm being trolled under the bobber - missed it, otherwise the bobber wasn't getting any action.

I think sensitivity of the fly was the key and will hit it again Monday morning.

Cheers all,

Eric

Kelster
11-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Nice to have such a playground in your backyard. Thanks for the update.

jmytuna
11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Nice
Try the power worm either nose hooked or wacky w a 1/32 tungsten bullet sliding sinker about 3 ft above. Hold in place w either a Carolina keeper or a slip bobber stop.