PDA

View Full Version : First legal from the surf 11/13/11

reeladdiction09
11-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Recently ive been forcing myself to fish the lc's and lures like the sort and have been having mixed results. The past few weeks ive mainly been catching big bsp and short flatties but today was different. Was fishing a bass pro shops xps when the first one hit. One hard thump and fish on. Instantly heavy headshakes and the quick fast runs and i know its the tell tale sign of a nice flatty. Ended up making a noob mistake and had the drag buttoned a little too much so when the fish went to run it pulled the hook:mad::mad::mad: After cussing up a storm up and down the beach i retie and get back to work. It was a while before my next hookup. This time the fish just stopped the bait and it felt like dead weight :Big Smile::Big Smile: i know this is no bsp or croaker. The fish goes nuts on the surface and i see that its a big flatty and my dad is screaming dont lose this one! After a back and forth tug of war i finally get the fish near the beach. Now comes the fun part how to land em. I tried grabbing it by the tail but that was a no go. Fish got pissed and started ripping line off. Next i tire the fish a little more and let the waves do some of the work. Get the fish on the beach and i go straight for the tail and get a death grip while my dad gets the fish grips in the mouth. All right my first legal flatty from the surf :Beer Toast::Beer Toast: But like an idiot i forgot the camera at home :Censored::Censored: so i guess ill have to go back out and catch another so i can share some pics with you guys. Unfortunately my dad has yet to hook up on the jerkbait lures in the surf so hopefully he'll be the next one to land a big flatty. Anyways i appreciate days like today and will look back on these good times

fishshep
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
congrats. on your first :Smile:

Got me visualizing the slide

in on the wave, the way you wrote it up !!! :LOL:

Makes me wanna get out there again !!! :Big Grin:

jerryG
11-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Congrats on your first legal. I have released most of the legal halibut I have caught in the surf with out a picture. I don't even have pictures of the legals I took home out from the surf. Lots of lasting memories though. Even better that you got to share that memory with your father. Well done. My wife won't let me take our camera to the surf due the fact that I wrecked a couple cameras on surf fishing adventures. I need to pick up a waterproof camera. I should have picked one up years ago...

JerryG

murrieta angler
11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Hey Adam,
Congrats on your legal Halibut!
Nice that your Pops was there to share it with you.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
WTG on the legal. Nice to hear someone getting one still.

SP Dan
11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey reeladdiction09's,

What a fantastic report, I felt your stress an your success as I read it!
Were you able to get a measure on the halibut?
It was a good thing that your dad was there to lend a hand with your catch!
Good times and good memories!

Congratulations on your first legal halibut! :Dancing Banana: WTG!

SP Dan <"))><