PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach Jetty 11/12/11

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
So,
thanks for the help everyone. I went out to the SB Jetty for about an hour and a half. Threw out a LC Ghost Anchovy and got my first hit but missed it. About 20 min later, I threw out the LC and the knot slipped... costed me $20. Put on the LC Chartreuse Shad and got another hit. Unfortunately I missed that one too. Last 20 minutes before I picked up and left, I finally hooked onto something, my first halibut. It was 23 in. After, I packed up and went home due to the incoming rain. Was looking for advice on why I missed the first two fish. Anyway thanks for the advice from previous posts.

manuel149
11-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Oh man sweet,congrats. I think i will dive in for the LC.
Where is this jetty?

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Nice butt'!

Did you swing on those hits? With reaction baits I allow the fish to hook itself rather than swinging. I forget to do this sometimes and I end up missing fish. A bad habit of mine.

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Where is this jetty?

Seal Beach^^^^^^^^^

It's in the title lol.

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice butt'!

Did you swing on those hits? With reaction baits I allow the fish to hook itself rather than swinging. I forget to do this sometimes and I end up missing fish. A bad habit of mine.

Well, with both of them, I felt the line stop and I was reeling it back so I gave it a little tug. After, I knew something was on it I gave a swing and the drag was screaming but it just died. I know I swing because I fished cats and trout so I usually set the hook when bait fishing. I didnt know quite what to do with the LC.

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, with both of them, I felt the line stop and I was reeling it back so I gave it a little tug. After, I knew something was on it I gave a swing and the drag was screaming but it just died. I know I swing because I fished cats and trout so I usually set the hook when bait fishing. I didnt know quite what to do with the LC.

A swing never hurts, but if you swing too hard you tend to increase your chances of losing a fish. With reaction baits treble hooks will divide the points of penetration to three points rather than a single point. Although your hook-up percentage increases with trebles the force of penetration is reduced. Basically what I mean is with trebles one will tend to hook skin more than bone, thus your grip of a fish is weaker. IMO.

I know someone will chime into your dilemma and probably correct me too. Ever fish Alamitos Jetty? And do you target bass or rockfish?

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
A swing never hurts, but if you swing too hard you tend to increase your chances of losing a fish. With reaction baits treble hooks will divide the points of penetration to three points rather than a single point. Although your hook-up percentage increases with trebles the force of penetration is reduced. Basically what I mean is with trebles one will tend to hook skin more than bone, thus your grip of a fish is weaker. IMO.

I know someone will chime into your dilemma and probably correct me too. Ever fish Alamitos Jetty? And do you target bass or rockfish?

You know what, I don't even know where Alamitos Jetty is. I would love to target bass and rockfish but I havent the slightest idea what to use and what technique I should be doing. A PM would be nice if you got some friendly advice.

manuel149
11-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Seal Beach^^^^^^^^^

It's in the title lol.

Ahem, there are 2 jettys FYI.

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Ahem, there are 2 jettys FYI.

Well Alamitos Jetty should be the one on 72nd street and Seal Beach Jetty should be the one closer to Seal Beach. This is to my understanding.

vanillagurilla
11-12-2011, 05:47 PM
theres 3 jettys for those that cant understand how to use google earth, 72nd street is the northern most jetty, alamitos is the middle one and seal beach jetty is the southern most.

SP Dan
11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Sir.Snags.A.Lot,

Congratulations on your legal Butt on the LC!

Most of us have lost one or more LC's in the surf. It does hurt the wallet a bit.
Best to hang around and watch for it to float to shore. I've never been so lucky.
But I do know anglers that did retrieve their LC's by waiting for them to float in.

Thank you great report and picture! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 06:00 PM
theres 3 jettys for those that cant understand how to use google earth, 72nd street is the northern most jetty, alamitos is the middle one and seal beach jetty is the southern most.

I was somewhat close lol.

Nipple Twister
11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
.......what's a Jetty???:ROFL:

sorrry, kiding.........Cool report, sorry 'bout the loss......your in a club with some fine folks......thx for sharing....:Wink:

murrieta angler
11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Congrats with your first, of many, Halibuts.
As far as losing the fish, sometimes the LC is sitting in their mouth, like a bass, and when you apply more pressure, they simply let go.
Did you take a look at the trebles, very important that you do. You might have had the fish with just one hook, from the treble, and it could have straightened out a bit. It happens quite frequently.
Also, it might have been a ray of some sort and they only get hooked through the flaps. They will often get off by just swimming away and then your LC will just float on up like nothing ever happened.
In time you will learn to recognize the different fish with the LC and sometimes you will be happy that the fish is gone.
Thanks for the report and again nice job with the legal,
Robert
<><

Greenweenie88
11-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Way to stick with it and get em... Bummer of the LC but it was all worth it

Dennis