PDA

View Full Version : Baitfish question

Trout Chaser1
11-12-2011, 01:02 PM
so got a question. is there a way to catch small baitfish from the surf?

Thinking if i get my little trout or bass pole and throw a small kastmaster i can maybe get some small baitfish?

or what else can i use for live bait on the surf?

im almost sure this is legal :Big Grin::LOL:

CraigH
11-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I've had luck catching smelt from rock jetties with a sabiki with small hooks fished under a bobber. Chumming helps so I don't know if that would work from the surf or not.

iLLest
11-13-2011, 01:06 AM
catching bait from the surf is pretty hard...

your best bet would be to head to your nearest pier or I should say closest pier to where you are going to surf fish, and sabiki away. You'll have enough bait within 20 mins to last you the whole day.

One thing I learned from my years pier fishing is that dont buy those cheap $1 sabiki's, Although, they will catch you SOME bait here and there... invest $3 in a Size #3 Sabiki Rig from Hayabusa. The hooks on these are beyond tiny and sharp, you wont regret it, trust me. :Wink:

Good Luck.

-Frank

headcase881
11-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I have caught plenty of buckets of bait fish but not from the surf you have to remeber bait fish are small and ther e mouths are small i would make my own sabki with size 22 mosquito hooks tied to about two and ahalf three feet of line place them about 6 -8 in apart with a surgons knot. at one end you put a weight and the othere has a small dowl rod as the bobber this is key not to use a real bobber i just dont have the luck with them. put the wieght(1/4 or less) at the end close to you and the wood and the very endof the line and the biggest secret of all white bread as your bait just doe it up and place it on the hook next find a bay your calm side of the jedy and dont for get the airrater!!! they will die off quick i have a solution for this to... a tote with holes drilled in it(for constant flow of new water bait fish are dirty for some reson) and a pool noodle to keep it afloat catch your bait fish and put them in it on the calm side of the jedy and grab one as nessacerry . i learnd this from a phillapino buddy of mine he was much better at getting them then me but i still got the hang of it

DockRat
11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
X2 on the piers.
6 to 8 smelt in a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 to 3/4 full (bring 40' rope) change 1/2 the water every 1/2 hour.
White bread works good for chum. Make a pile 1/4" to 1/2" pieces, toss pinch every couple minutes.
I like a 1/4" piece of squid tentacle on each sabiki hook. Take your bucket to your surf spot, jetties seem to produce more (less casting needed than surf with live bait)

When the halibut hit it you have to wait about 10 seconds so they can turn it for a hook set.
DR
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x144/simplifly/Smelt_run_06011.jpg