PDA

View Full Version : Trout bite at night?

white belt
11-12-2011, 10:09 AM
How is the night session for trout? If I went tonight, would I have any luck? I want to take my dad fishing and we haven't been out together in years so it'd be nice if they were biting. Of course, technique plays a big part, but are they even active?

Thanks!

smokehound
11-12-2011, 01:03 PM
How is the night session for trout? If I went tonight, would I have any luck? I want to take my dad fishing and we haven't been out together in years so it'd be nice if they were biting. Of course, technique plays a big part, but are they even active?

Thanks!Nighttime is excellent for spinners and spoons. The world record Rainbow was caught on a mepps syclops at night.

white belt
11-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Nighttime is excellent for spinners and spoons. The world record Rainbow was caught on a mepps syclops at night.

Thanks for the help... If I go tonight I hope I don't get skunked. I've been on a bad run lately.

Trout Doctor
11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Nearly all my fishing is at SARL for the evening session due to my crummy schedule. I never limit out, but I haven't been skunked in the last few sessions either. Haven't been yet this season though.

paDDy
11-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Marsh mellow and meal worms, might get some cat's too.

white belt
11-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Trout daddy what do you usually use for bait?

Paddy are cats and trout in the same lake? Website looks like its split.

Do they take debit card at the entrance? Thanks all. Noob appreciates.

white belt
11-12-2011, 03:39 PM
No one ever picks up the phone there huh?

manuel149
11-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Trout daddy what do you usually use for bait?

Paddy are cats and trout in the same lake? Website looks like its split.

Do they take debit card at the entrance? Thanks all. Noob appreciates.

Yes, they take debt. Good luck.

white belt
11-12-2011, 05:54 PM
First hour, skunk so far.

Anthony I.
11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Nightcrawlers. Get creative with them though... Inflated em, under a bobber, dip em scent... You should be able to get one (of something). Let us know and good luck out there!

white belt
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Guy next to me has already put 4 in the bucket. One of then was a legit 5 lb'er.

smokehound
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Keep moving! dont stay in one spot!

gavin310
11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I can't count how many times "the guy next to me" was catching them nonstop. More often than not its the spot, not the technique. There's something under water holding trout where he's casting. Maybe try casting out the same distance as him, or just move to a new spot. I hate watching someone catch fish with no action on my end.

white belt
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Holy **** guys on either side of me catching and we're all using c-rigs. The one guy even gave me his powerbait and i still got nada. moving now...

smokehound
11-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Holy **** guys on either side of me catching and we're all using c-rigs. The one guy even gave me his powerbait and i still got nada. moving now...do you have any nymphs or micro grubs? If you do, take a tiny single-barb hook, put a tiny grub, then get a tiny split-shot, and crimp it on right at the eye of the hook, toss it out, and jig it!! Dont slow down! Dont loop the line around the splitshot, just squeeze it on and slide it down.

mjc89
11-12-2011, 09:20 PM
What pound test are you using? What size hooks? How is your pole set up in the rod holder?

white belt
11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
4 lb test and size 14 trebles. Not sure what diffrent ways the rod can be in the holder... I guess it was pretty parallel to the water. The guy next to me got double limits with nymph power bait. Of course in my hands its completely useless. The 5 lb'er he had had 3 hooks in its mouth. What a beast.

white belt
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I also tried a castmaster spoon, a fire tiger rooster tail and nightcrawlers. My dad used white, pink, nymph, white powerbaits and garlic corn. Double skunk again haha ahh well. It was probably me. I wont blame the lake.

Off topic, i was thinking about changing to braid soon. Will 15 lb test be ok for trout if the thickness is the same as 4 lb mono? Or should i just keep my 4 lb flouro on?

smokehound
11-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I also tried a castmaster spoon, a fire tiger rooster tail and nightcrawlers. My dad used white, pink, nymph, white powerbaits and garlic corn. Double skunk again haha ahh well. It was probably me. I wont blame the lake.

Off topic, i was thinking about changing to braid soon. Will 15 lb test be ok for trout if the thickness is the same as 4 lb mono? Or should i just keep my 4 lb flouro on?How were you fishing the nymphs? On a jighead? even if the thickness is the same, the trout will still notice, because it has weight to it!

I actually dislike flouro when it comes to trout, because it sinks. I like my line to float, so i prefer mono.

If you toss a spoon or spinner, you can actually get away with heavier test, because it's a reaction lure, and the trout are focused more on that shiny fluttering object. That's why people on the troll get away with heavier, thicker line!

Also, ditch the treble hooks, with bigger fish, you'll miss more bites. Instead, next time arm yourself with size 10-8 Gamakatsu baitholders. You'll be glad you did so. I stopped using trebles for trout years ago!

mjc89
11-12-2011, 11:07 PM
4 lb test and size 14 trebles. Not sure what diffrent ways the rod can be in the holder... I guess it was pretty parallel to the water. The guy next to me got double limits with nymph power bait. Of course in my hands its completely useless. The 5 lb'er he had had 3 hooks in its mouth. What a beast.

4lb test is good. As for hooks i would use a smaller hook like 16 or 18. Did you get any bites? Did you hand a bobber off the line when you had your poles set up?

mjc89
11-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Off topic, i was thinking about changing to braid soon. Will 15 lb test be ok for trout if the thickness is the same as 4 lb mono? Or should i just keep my 4 lb flouro on?

I wouldnt switch to braid because the trout can see it. I would stick to 4# mono there is no need for flouro. Just use a 2# leader for your carolina rig. If waters are really clear you can get a little spool of 110yds of 2# flouro.

white belt
11-12-2011, 11:25 PM
4lb test is good. As for hooks i would use a smaller hook like 16 or 18. Did you get any bites? Did you hand a bobber off the line when you had your poles set up?

My dad got a couple bites while he was using the garlic corn, but he was also a spot closer to the bubble hole and by the guy who got the double limit.

That guy had bells hanging. A guy at perris told me to do the bopper thing too. Does it help?

white belt
11-12-2011, 11:27 PM
How were you fishing the nymphs? On a jighead? even if the thickness is the same, the trout will still notice, because it has weight to it!

I actually dislike flouro when it comes to trout, because it sinks. I like my line to float, so i prefer mono.

If you toss a spoon or spinner, you can actually get away with heavier test, because it's a reaction lure, and the trout are focused more on that shiny fluttering object. That's why people on the troll get away with heavier, thicker line!

Also, ditch the treble hooks, with bigger fish, you'll miss more bites. Instead, next time arm yourself with size 10-8 Gamakatsu baitholders. You'll be glad you did so. I stopped using trebles for trout years ago!

It was just power bait in nymph color. It was purple ish with black specks. Fished it c-rigged just like both guys around me haha i guess i should practice at like jurupa or something before i step up to the big leagues.

mjc89
11-12-2011, 11:30 PM
My dad got a couple bites while he was using the garlic corn, but he was also a spot closer to the bubble hole and by the guy who got the double limit.

That guy had bells hanging. A guy at perris told me to do the bopper thing too. Does it help?

Yeah when you hang a bobber on the line you pull it down to where its not hitting the ground and when you get a bite you can see them picking it up and it gives you enough time to set the hook. The bells are heavy and they can feel the tention on the line and sometimes will spit out the bait. Unless their really hungry and they just slam the bait.

white belt
11-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas. Learn a little something each time...

mjc89
11-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Every day you learn something new. Dont give up on the lakes just try some of the things i told you and youll start getting on the fish. You just got to be patient. Weve all gone through the same foot steps.

smokehound
11-12-2011, 11:43 PM
It was just power bait in nymph color. It was purple ish with black specks. Fished it c-rigged just like both guys around me haha i guess i should practice at like jurupa or something before i step up to the big leagues.Oh, see I meant these:

http://www.texasbasstackle.com/ProdImages/BerkleyMicroNymph-L.jpg You'll catch some real toads with these.

white belt
11-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh, see I meant these:

http://www.texasbasstackle.com/ProdImages/BerkleyMicroNymph-L.jpg You'll catch some real toads with these.

How do you fish those? With the split shot like you mentioned earlier?

smokehound
11-13-2011, 12:29 AM
How do you fish those? With the split shot like you mentioned earlier?Yep. It's like using a micro-jighead, only it's cheaper and works better IMO.

white belt
11-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I just noticed im using medium action rods (remember these are just ones i found in the garage). If i got an UL rod, would my chances increase?

Trout Doctor
11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Trout daddy (sis) what do you usually use for bait?

Sorry, I missed this and it looks like I'm too late to help, but you'll get MUCH better info from smokehound than you would from me. I have no clue what I'm doing. That said, when I night fish SARL I use a Carolina rig with 1/8 oz weight above the swivel, a #10 baithook, and a powermouse type setup. Basically a plastic troutworm, glow in the dark for night-time (they sell them at the store at SARL) and a poweregg (another piece of plastic shaped like a sphere). I think the stuff they sell at the shop is called "nitro eggs" or something though. Just a different brand, still works. I've used both with success. Other people use power bait instead of the plastic egg. I've just found I can re-use the same bait for fish after fish with the full plastic setup. Then I spray it with Bang garlic or dip it in some Bite On garlic.

As far as my awesome fishing technique... I throw it in the water and put my pole in a holder, hang a bobber from a section of line between the eyes as an indicator, and drink beer. Occasionally, as warranted, I drink more beer.

I'd bet as smokehound says you'd have much better luck using a presentation that moves though, since the trout can hone in on that. My method relies entirely on beer and scent, as I'm pretty sure the glowing doesn't really add much.

white belt
11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I like your technique good sir haha

smokehound
11-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I just noticed im using medium action rods (remember these are just ones i found in the garage). If i got an UL rod, would my chances increase?With a light action rod, you'll feel the bites alot better, And the fight of a trout will feel dramatically stronger. UL rods are good when trout are gently mouthing the bait, which is when many anglers fail to detect the bite. Instead of a rod holder, hold it in your hands the whole time, that way you'll never lose a hit.

How long are the rods? I use a 7-ft medium rod myself. Just a cheapo durango rod (though it's great for the money- 7 bucks)