PDA

View Full Version : Perris 11-11, where the crap are the basses?!

TheAsianGuy
11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Time: 0638
Air temp: 52°F
Water temp: 58°F at surface, 61°F 8ft below surface.
Atmospheric: Cloudy/Overcast, rain cloud in the distant horizon to the southwest.
Deploying point: main boat ramp, north side. Light wind at 3mph from northeast to southwest.

Left house to get to the lake before 0600hrs, but forgot the oars half way to the lake. Burn another 30 minutes just to drive back and towards the lake again. While assembling the toon, Konacrush showed up. Got set, and hit the water. That water was freaking cold! If you think you can handle the water like the polar bear club for a few hours, forget it!

The ramp shoreline was lined with anglers, and the piers were also occupied. By 0700hrs, toss a line 5 feet in any direction from shore, and one would get a cross over. Thank goodness we were on the water. Trout hunting pressure was really high. Every 2 to 3 casts, shoreline anglers would nail a stock trout. Trouts were hugging the shore just 25 feet out, and no deeper than 15ft deep. Fishfinders metered trouts were not more than 50ft from shore. Panfishes were all in the deeper areas, between 23 to 27 ft deep. Surprisingly, no bass was chasing the trouts. Trouts were hammering golden/shiny/bright yellow rooster tails and spinnerbaits. Shoreliners using PB, no love. Kids on a boat using PB jigging style, major love. For those who thing $400 trout gears land trouts..well, I saw a little girl using a $15 Walmart fishing rod landing 3 trouts :Envious: Love those laughter from the kids when they landed those trouts.

Hunt the boat launch area with Konacrush until 1020hrs. Sun came out, and cooked us for 20 minutes. We toss swimbaits, spoons, power worms, livers, anchovies, everything to entice other species, like the basses. No bites what so ever. Bass hunters so far got nothing but empty handed. We decided to go deeper towards the island. As we head out, schools after schools of bait fishes. No bass, no boil. Suddenly, reel got unspooled, and fast! Medium-heavy rod got the major bendo on an 8lbs test. A good minute fight, and the fish ran for cover under the buoy. Crude. Tried to steer it away from the underwater line, but too late. Went in manually with hands on the line, gently pulling the fish up. Saw the fish's large body below, then it let loose. Line snapped at the hook at visual depth :Angry:

Spent a good hour at the buoys near the island, the only bites were a few gills. Time to move on towards the marina, then the Sail Cove, and into the boat zone for metering the unknown by the us floaters. Deep areas metering indicated the fishes moved in schools toward the beach. Nothing around the marina. Merely panfishes, trouts, and basses that were dinks. Bass hunters reported no love on basses along the marina's shores.

On the way to the Sail Cove from the deeper areas, large solid arches appeared on the fishfinder. HOLY MOTHER OF FISHES! Multiple bait fish schools, followed by an explosion of basses chasing the bait fishes, then some huge, and I mean HUGE monsters chasing the basses. Konacrushes tossed this arsenal in one direction, and I tossed mine, criss-crossing to cover the ground. Monsters not willing to bite. Wind started to pick up, northwest to southeast. Konacrush decided to head back to the launch ramp. I stayed to continue metering and hunting anything that bite around the sunken structures and underwater habitats. Ehhh..few more gills, less than 5in. What the heck happened to the 2lb+ gills? I guessed they didn't want the chew on the livers, anchovies, worms, and crickets. BAH.

Head back to launch ramp, and fished until 1600hrs. Saw Steve along the shoreline, doing some late fishing. I stayed out in the water until darkness shrouded the water. Turned on my 900 lumens high beam and hunt the shoreline near the lake's police boat ramp and to the buoy line. Nothing. All I got was pruned paired of hands, and shivering body. I called it a day. 11hrs on the water was enough, after fighting the wind all day.

Bass hunt = nada. They do the splish splash dolphin jumps all day. Threw plenty of crickets on the water to get them up for the show down. They ate the crickets, not the baits.
Trout hunt = Konacrush landed quite a few, and literally hand caught one from his tube.
Gill hunt = 4 keepers at 7.5" (1 from Konacrush using a spoon?), 4 released under 5.5".
Cat hunt = didn't even care to bite.
Carp hunt = plenty of splashes, no bite.

Rotten day. Everyone that hunted for bass got the major skunk. Perfect hunting weather conditions too.

Sublime-Steve
11-12-2011, 01:47 AM
good seein you out there man, it was freezing when i got there.. I got bit.. but not by a fish.. damn bugs

Konacrush
11-12-2011, 06:44 AM
It is always fun fishing with you Leo thanks for the crickets and BG tackle my legs and ankles are shot out

TheAsianGuy
11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Steve, no kidding about the bites from the different kinds. Imagine us getting bitten in the morning, and before dark. They hover over us like freaking buffets. Good to see both of you guys out there. Didn't have time to hang much around you Steve, but Jason, I know how you feel my man. My arms and legs are sore. 11hrs of legs work fighting the wind, and half of that on oars. Next time, we're hitting the entire southside and the dam. Let me know that you're game. I'll make sure to bring the motor gears.

Konacrush
11-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Anytime buddy anytime

jpod
11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
any pics of the trout

karalm
11-15-2011, 06:22 AM
AG,
Thanks for the report and detail over your hunt. I guess for the most part Perris has now turned off on the bass hunt for now. More to come......