PDA

View Full Version : Skinner Vets Day 11/11/11

ddoskocil
11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
What an awesome day. Didn't want to fight the line and crowd at DVL, so i decided to go for numbers at Skinner. Got there at 5:50, third in line! Sweet. A few buddies couldn't make it, and Dad, Air Force Vet, decided to go on a cruise, so I went solo. Got some advice from Dodo, jnitro, and PAW. Hadn't been there in almost 2 years, only been LMB fishing there. I wanted some schoolie stripers. Headed to ramp 2 on a cool overcast calm day. Decent amount of birds, but not much action. Metered a lot of fish in 20-30', but wouldn't bite the scounger or flukes. Had a blowup but missed one on the spook. Mostly drifted, got bored after an hour, headed to the south shore. Got a 1# bass on a senko in the tullies, then went back to the stripers. Ran into PAW, he was getting them on the troll. SO I took some notes, and decided to give it a try. After another half an hour of no bites in the south east end, the birds were all gone, we decided to hit the north east end.
Glad we did! Almost immediately after I started trolling with a scrounger and a jerkbait, the jerkbait gets hit. My first troll fish! Not much fight, get it in, a 1 # trout! WTF! Cool anyways. PAW and I keep trolling the area, I do get 2 schoolie stripers, 2 and 3#s. Both on the jerkbait, running about 4' deep in 5-10' of water. I learned a lot from PAW, especially about trolling, and got re-familiarized with Skinner. PAW gave me a couple stripers for my freezer as well - thanks. A white swimbait would have been nice to troll too.
Amazing how calm and cool and quiet it was out there, especially trolling. Normally I cast like crazy, running all over the boat grabbing different rods. This was a great day on the water. Not a lot of fish, but learned a lot, and needed the day off. Next time I'll get my Dad in on the action, he's already jealous. Thanks again guys for the advice and help. No pics, nothing special (sorry - solo). Until next time, Goin' Deep. D