PDA

View Full Version : How do you use power eggs ... and which ones? I like

billy b
11-11-2011, 10:40 AM
to use a owner #8 or 10 behind a sliding sinker or bubble ... putting on 2 pe's ... but I'm a little new to this. I also have picked up a nice suggestion of threading one on a #8 bait hook before putting on a piece of inflated NC. Recently I was at a nearby lake and the regular yellow and the new salmon egg red was getting some action ... orange and the garlic weren't.

Anybody want to share?

What about using a 14 or 16 treble and loading up 3 ... or even 4?

THANKS

smokehound
11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
to use a owner #8 or 10 behind a sliding sinker or bubble ... putting on 2 pe's ... but I'm a little new to this. I also have picked up a nice suggestion of threading one on a #8 bait hook before putting on a piece of inflated NC. Recently I was at a nearby lake and the regular yellow and the new salmon egg red was getting some action ... orange and the garlic weren't.

Anybody want to share?

What about using a 14 or 16 treble and loading up 3 ... or even 4?

THANKSRed is killer. I wouldn't load a bunch on a treble, though. (I hate using trebles, anyway)

I might try a power egg with a live earwig!

billy b
11-12-2011, 06:30 AM
You're right about the treble ... it isn't good for C & R

What's an "earwig"

casting call
11-12-2011, 07:02 AM
You're right about the treble ... it isn't good for C & R

What's an "earwig"

Those little bugs with the pincers on their rear

gavin310
11-12-2011, 07:38 AM
i've always used them with an inflated nightcrawler. works well.

Bebop
11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Use size six single hook for worms or plastics as long as you put the egg on first then the worm or plastic worm.
I don't use the power eggs with treble hooks but I have seen my friends use two only on a treble hook leaving one hook exposed to help hook the fish

Troutman65
11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I like the power eggs that are connected together in a strand. You always can't find them . I think Bass Pro shop had them and . Anyway , I have found they work better and don't dry out and harden up on you at the end of the season. I have seen them in white, yellow , green , red , bubble gum , orange colors

vanillagurilla
11-12-2011, 08:05 PM
i like to take the power eggs and put them back on the shelf, get some mini jigs and power worms and learn to use them lol. i fished bait and wait a looonngg time and got into plastics only a few years ago and never looked back. You get bigger and more fish using plastics, i have yet to see anyone fishing bait that has caught 5 fish over 10lbs in a day. ;)

smokehound
11-12-2011, 08:08 PM
i like to take the power eggs and put them back on the shelf, get some mini jigs and power worms and learn to use them lol. i fished bait and wait a looonngg time and got into plastics only a few years ago and never looked back. You get bigger and more fish using plastics, i have yet to see anyone fishing bait that has caught 5 fish over 10lbs in a day. ;)exactly. Plus swimbaits and lures are cheaper than buying live bait in the long run!

Troutman65
11-12-2011, 08:51 PM
i like to take the power eggs and put them back on the shelf, get some mini jigs and power worms and learn to use them lol. i fished bait and wait a looonngg time and got into plastics only a few years ago and never looked back. You get bigger and more fish using plastics, i have yet to see anyone fishing bait that has caught 5 fish over 10lbs in a day. ;)

I got an 8.0 & a 10.8 at Sarl last winter bait & wait w/ a N/C and a power egg set up . So there you go . It can happen . I also dead stick the plastic worms and do good also

vanillagurilla
11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I got 5 over 10lbs at only a few years ago on a pink worm lol, muddy water and I wouldn't imagine that a clear pink worm with sparkles would have worked well. Facts are that trout are a predatory fish and you can catch bigger fish that aren't hungry with a moving bait. TM u have to agree that more and bigger stringers are brought in off the troll.

billy b
11-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I like the power eggs that are connected together in a strand. You always can't find them . I think Bass Pro shop had them and . Anyway , I have found they work better and don't dry out and harden up on you at the end of the season. I have seen them in white, yellow , green , red , bubble gum , orange colors

You leave them connected. That may be a valuable hint. I always separate them when I put one on above a NC ... and would do the same if stringing 2 on a worm hook.

billy b
11-13-2011, 09:53 AM

I hear ya ... and thanks for the advice. I wouldn't want to tell you how many plastic worms, jigs, and lead heads I have ... but especially need to learn how to fish them from shore. Like with a bubble ... or what? I'm worried about snagging bottom. I have used them with some decent success from a boat.

Thots?

vanillagurilla
11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
if your not snagging the bottom your not in the right area, with worms i do 2 things, #1 is dropshot, #2 is carolina rig or splitshot but ive had problems with splitshots and big fish so i use 1/32nd oz bullet weights and either a carolina keeper or spro swivel. with mini jigs i usualy start ON the bottom if possible, bouncing it along, sometimes they like it just dragged or a streight wind just off the bottom. ill try that for a few casts while counting how long it takes to reach the bottom. lets say it takes 15 seconds, my next step is to take 2-3 seconds off that time and start a few feet off the bottom trying to keep it in that water column, and i do that untill i find the fish, very rarely do i catch them right off the top. I go through so much gear during trout season that my boxes turn into a big mess and i usualy just throw it all away and start over. I used to use power worms and nymphs and would have 15-20 bags of different colors on a key chain clipped to my belt loop or keys on my belt for quick changing without having to dig into a tackle box. my jigs i keep in a 2 sided plano box, one side with just tubes and the other side with leadheads, hooks, swivels and whatever else. Both stay with me at all times lol.