PDA

View Full Version : Moving back home and need some info please

LOLO
11-11-2011, 06:22 AM
I am sure this topic has been beat to death but here it goes anyway

Well its been a long time since i have posted on here and the good news is i am moving back home to Culver City.Been since 2005 since i have feeshed at the Vine and i always like to troll and dunk baits for feesh but would rather use arties.My question is my tactics may be out dated and was hoping to get some rigging help for these new jigging tactics i have been reading about.I would also appreciate the help on the use of these tactics as well any helpful info would be greatly appreciated also pics of rigging as well.I am thinking that anywhere from 2# to 6# mono lines are what to use but not sure what brands are best as i use nothing but Braided line here in Florida.I feel like i am starting over but have a very good knowledge once pointed in the right direction some say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks but i think you can LOL.I will also be looking for some fishing friends and i really like the weekday thing as it is less crowded.So thanks again in advance for any tips or tricks to the Vine fishing thing.Just some rigging info and retrieval info would be fine i do not mind learning on the run just figured this would be easier and save me some $$ from buying the wrong things

I am hopeful of early December as my arrival back home and hoping by Mid month to be feeshin for some stellar Trout at the Vine have a great day and tight lines to all

Poxy Boggards
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I use 4 pound line when fishing for trout at the local paylakes. I think it provides good strength while also being thin enough in diameter to cast out small artificials. My favorites are P-Line, Maxima and Izor Line. Izor line is the cheapest, but is a bit stiff, it is also very strong and will likely break well above the 4# rating on the line. Maxima is a much softer more limp line with very little memory. P-Line is kind of middle of the road between these two, and in my opionin offers good strength and while a bit stiffer than Maxima it still has little line memory.

Fishing jigs or power worms is my go to method for artificials. When fishing power worms I usually use one of two methods, split shotting or drop shotting. Split shotting will require the use of a single split shot weight and a small gaguge #8 or 10 size baitholder or mosquito type hook. Just tie the hook to the end of the line, thread on a power worm through the nose and crimp a small split shot onto your line (I usually start with the split shot about 12 inches above the hook and move it depending on where I am marking fish) Pink, Orange and Green are good colors to try. A slow retrieve while bouncing your rod tip will add action to the worm and is a deadly tactic once you master it. Drop shotting is very similar, but in this application the weight is tied below the hook. Tie your hook onto the line with a double palomar knot then feed the tag end of the line through the eye of the hook so that it stand out straight from the line. Then clip on a split shot or drop shot weight to the bottom of the tag end.

Fishing Jigs or tubes is fairly straight forward. Tie on the jig, cast it out and retrieve it. If you get bit near the surface then just repeat. If not then cast out let it sink for a 5 count then start your slow retrieve. If you don't get bit give it a 10 count. The great thing about jigs is that they can be fished anywhere is the water column. Add a power worm tail to the jig for added action on the bait.

I almost always use scent when fishing plastics. My favorites this season so far have been Bite On Garlic and Bite on Roe.

Good luck, and welcome back!

LOLO
11-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Killer inf thank you very much.It sounds like my flats tactics except on a much smaller scale.I cant wait to get out there and give this a whirl .Hope to meet ya at the lake one day again thanks for the info