PDA

View Full Version : Puddingstone Lake 11/9 Catfish Under the Pier

Natural Lefty
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I was going to go fishing today, but my boss (the wife, you know) asked me to stay here today and wait for a registered letter she is sending from Taiwan. With Perris and Silverwood now closed on Wednesdays, it was back to Puddingstone for me.

I was torn between going to the same spot as last week, the "high pier," or trying to find Puddingstone's Crappies, etc. elsewhere in the lake, trying to figure out where Vividfly is catching all those fish, you know. Since it was already mid-afternoon and the sun goes down a lot earlier now, I went back to the high pier. I did get directions on how to go to Sail Cove from a guy in the parking lot, though. Nonetheless, I headed for the high pier and started fishing around 3:30 p.m.

If I hadn't caught a Catfish, this would have been a really mundane trip. There were a couple of interesting catches, though. First, I set up with the paternoster rig on one pole (the 2 hooks on dropper loops), and tossed jigs on the other, hoping the Crappies had shown up. No Crappies were found, although there were big schools of minnows. However, I started gettting those really light bites on my worms cast out to "my spot" right away. I wasn't hooking them for awhile, but eventually, I had what felt like a rug on the line when I started reeling in, although I didn't notice any bites. I figured there was probably a fish or two in whatever was on the line. There is still an awful lot of veggies out there, which I didn't mention last week, as I kept reeling in balls of veggies. It was the same thing yesterday. This time it was so heavy, that I could barely bring the kit-and-kaboodle in. Eventually, I dragged the whole thing to shore, and two Bluegills became visible as I did. The top one was stuck in a huge ball of veggies which extended 7-8 feet behind it, and another Bluegill was free of the veggies but being dragged along with the rig. Both of the Bluegills were decent size too, and they had both hooked themselves in the lip.

After that, I continued missing a few light bites. A couple of other guys showed up, too, and they commenced fishing for Catfish with shrimp for bait, plus casting lures for Bass from time to time. Both were fishing two poles apiece and were conscientious about obeying the 2 pole limit. Later on, I found out that their names were James and Omar, and we talked quite a bit, mostly about fishing. At one point, I managed to hook a bite, a little to the right side from the end this time, but it turned out to be a small 4-5 inch juvenile Bluegill, so I put it back. After that, it started getting dark, and like last time, the sunfish stopped biting.

Eventually, I gave up on casting out to "my spot" as the worms were no longer being touched, unlike earlier. Instead, I decided to set up both poles along the left side of the pier, and just let the weight drop down to the point where it barely reached the bottom, leaving the worms dangling up above. I must confess at this point, I actually was semi-trying to catch a Catfish at this point, unlike all the other Channel Catfish I have caught since my return from Taiwan, but I would have been happy with any fish that came along.

Meanwhile, I was talking with James and Omar, mostly about fishing, passing the time while nothing bit. I was thinking seriously about leaving, and it was already dark, but we were having a good time talking about fish recipes, favorite fish to eat, favorite fishing spots, fishing stories, etc. We must have been talking for about 20 minutes with my worms dangling in the water under the pier, and their shrimp casted out but untouched by the catfish, who appeared not to be around this time, when I heard sounds of my closer pole being slapped against the railing, and saw major bendo of the pole going on. I grabbed the pole, and sure enough, there was a heavy puller on, which was way under the pier. Fortunately, I had the drag buttoned down pretty tight, with 6 pound line, and this fish had no sense of direction. I had a pretty good idea it was another Channel Catfish for me, and I was able to get it out from under the pier after a moment. When I got it near the surface, I could see it was a nice size Channel Catfish indeed, about the size the catfish fisher people have been going for. I walked it to shore, while Omar went down to the water's edge with my net and secured the fish for me. This was around 6 p.m.

James took a couple of photos of me with the fish and emailed one to me later on. I felt kind of badly that these guys were trying to catch catfish on shrimp cast out farther, and here I caught one on a baby nightcrawler right under the pier. Sometimes, a person just gets lucky. I seem to have the luck for Channel Catfish ever since I returned from Taiwan. The other ones were smaller than this one though. I weighed this one at home on my digital scale, and it said 1 pound, 12 ounces. It was 16 3/4 inches long too.

Since I had been lucky with the catfish, I tried casting out my jig a few more times for nothing again, and tried my other pole straight down for awhile, but nothing else bit so I stopped fishing around 6:15 p.m. Meanwhile, the line I caught my fish on was tangled in the net and just about anything else it came in contact with, including my backpack with my equipment. Anyway, I was a happy camper. After getting everything untangled and getting my gear together, I thanked James and Omar, gave them the rest of my worms, and left.

By the way, I have a few questions for Puddingstone regulars.

What time does the lake close now?

How does one get to the north shore?

Can one fish from the structure that looks like an old, unused boathouse to the right of Sail Cove, and if so, how is the fishing there?

Here is James' photo of me, minus my forehead, with my fish.

white belt
11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Nice report! I see no pic tho. Guess they stocked cats already.

TUNAVIC
11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Thats the lake patrols office they usually keep the gate locked when their not there,also a good spot for crappie.

Natural Lefty
11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
This site is making it difficult to upload the photo. First, the one James sent me was too large. After I made it smaller, the site said I was not logged in. Then after logging in, I uploaded the smaller one, but it said I was logged out again. Now, it won't even let me use the "manage attachments" function.

There, I finally managed to get the photo included.

White belt, the other guys said they were stocking Catfish this week, which surprised me given the time of year. They also said they stock them the size that I caught, so it could be a recent stocker. I was surprised they stock ones that are that large.

Tuna Vic, does that mean you are allowed to fish from the boathouse when the guys are not there? I figured it would be a good spot for Crappies.

white belt
11-10-2011, 05:02 PM
It's probably the last catfish stock of the season. I'd be surprised too if it wasnt trout next time. If you want, upload your pics to tinypic.com they resize for you then you just have to copy and paste the image code into the reply box.

Natural Lefty
11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks white belt. I did pretty good at resizing the photo myself. I have several graphics programs on this computer, and I have done a lot of graphics work with them.

Actually, I think the Catfish I caught had been in the lake for at least awhile. It was in there at least long enough to eat a pretty large plastic bass lure that was in its stomach. I guess it could have been caught on a bass lure under the right circumstances.

It's strange; this site says the post only has like 5 views, and this is already the 5th reply. I have to think this post has more views than that.

allIdoIsfish
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
To get to the north shore when you get off the freeway make a right, then a right on San dimas blvd, pass the freeway overpass and make a right on the next street (puddingstone dr.) you will see the entrance about 1/2 mile down on the right.

I was at pudd today and had a pretty good day. I was able to get my limit on DropShot and reaction baits. nothing huge but i was able to pick up a pattern that was working today. I guess they are having races at pomona raceway yesterday and today. It was awesome fishing to the sound of 800+ HP cars
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/vlkter/IMAG0091.jpg

Natural Lefty
11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Good job on the Bass, AllIdoisfish. I didn't see any Bass on Wednesday, but did see some last week.

Thanks for the info. I think I am coming from the opposite direction though (from the east). It helps to have the street names though. If I can look up San Dimas boulevard and Puddingstone drive on the map, I think I can find the north entrance.

allIdoIsfish
11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Good job on the Bass, AllIdoisfish. I didn't see any Bass on Wednesday, but did see some last week.

Thanks for the info. I think I am coming from the opposite direction though (from the east). It helps to have the street names though. If I can look up San Dimas boulevard and Puddingstone drive on the map, I think I can find the north entrance.

If you are coming from the 57(exit Via Verde), from either direction its still a right.

old pudd fisher
11-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice and fat 'AllIdoisfish' Glad the pudd was good to you.

Natural Lefty
11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, definitely a good size Bass there, AllIdoisfish. I think Puddingstone is actually somewhat underrated. Even though it's in a relatively urban area and recieves heavy fishing pressure, I have mostly had surprisingly good fishing there.

So, when I turn off at Via Verde, I turn left to go straight into the park, with the park entrance just in front of me. You are saying if I turn right on Via Verde, it will intersect with San Dimas, where I turn right again? I am just trying to get the directions straight. I normally do get off at Via Verde and go straight into the park by turning left.

allIdoIsfish
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Yes, definitely a good size Bass there, AllIdoisfish. I think Puddingstone is actually somewhat underrated. Even though it's in a relatively urban area and recieves heavy fishing pressure, I have mostly had surprisingly good fishing there.

So, when I turn off at Via Verde, I turn left to go straight into the park, with the park entrance just in front of me. You are saying if I turn right on Via Verde, it will intersect with San Dimas, where I turn right again? I am just trying to get the directions straight. I normally do get off at Via Verde and go straight into the park by turning left.

Correct. San dimas blvd will be the first street after making the right off the freeway

An easy way to remember how to get there is, "First right, Then First right again"

Also make sure you park at the second park entrance. The first one is for boating parking only

jw4Bassing
11-11-2011, 09:46 PM
You are saying if I turn right on Via Verde, it will intersect with San Dimas, where I turn right again? I normally do get off at Via Verde and go straight into the park by turning left.

That's correct. And the easiest way you know that you are on the right track is that their is a "76" Gas Station on that corner. Just make a quick right after the gas station and go down a pretty steep hill and you'll notice a digital speed sensor sign (50 mph max) that is monitoring your speed. You'll go underneath the (57 Fwy) overpass and at about a 1/2 mile, hang a right on Puddingstone Dr. which is a windy road and drive up another 1/2 mile or so and pull into the 2nd parking lot. Hope this helps and good luck out there.

Tight Lines....

JW

Natural Lefty
11-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, I think I've got it now, fellows. I may actually try to go there in the coming weeks, for panfish although I know it's not a very good time of year for catching panfish.