PDA

View Full Version : Local 11 / 09 Rockfish Trip- Big Reds for a Moo-moo at the 'Shoe' w/pics

JapanRon
11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1109ezine11P1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1109ezine11P2.jpg

Jig-Guy
11-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks again Ron for your great report and pictures.
The drill motor holder looks great like all of the items you build. tl / jg

JapanRon
11-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Jig-Guy,

You're welcome. Got one more installment on the winder relating to attachments. Little problematic with the different style, size, and problems associated with the different reel handles.

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
No skunk again? Awesome!

Hey JapanRon, I'm just a little curious, but do the 1/2 days and 3/4 days ever hit shallow water throughout the entire trip? I HATE cranking fish up from deep water.

DockRat
11-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Looks good Ron. A sewing machine motor with the variable speed foot pedal is good too.
DR

JapanRon
11-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Thanks. As I said in my report, we went to 90 feet at the end and we usually go shallow at the last. I think most boats where you see Sheephead counts have gone fairly shallow at some time during the day. The 1/2 day boats stay shallow (less travel time too) more of their time on the water most often. 3/4 day boats have the time to travel to the deeper spots and still have fishing time for shallow water too. Cranking ..... yea and I do it with an 6500 C3 Abu so you can imagine !!!

Await your next,

JapanRon

JapanRon
11-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi DockRat,

Yes, I considered that but I found that one hand on the throttle and one free hand is enough to do fine tuning during the operation, I don't have to mess with the foot pedal cord or the actuator slipping around under foot, and with the sewing machine motors (even at a thrift store) more expensive than a yard-sale hand electric drill, the fact the motor drive pully would have to be modified extensively, and clearence would be tough it being so small .... Also I thought of using my BBQ motor I use on my rod-wrapper but although variable speed .... it was still too slow.

I'll have the attachments in the last installment as well as the spinning reel bracket. Greatly appreciate the input and ideas,

JapanRon

murrieta angler
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice report Ron,
Seems the colder water temps are producing some quality grade fish.
Poor Ms Yellowcat must be starving by now...:Smile:
Thanks for the report and pics,
Robert
<><

Ifishtoolittle
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Thanks. As I said in my report, we went to 90 feet at the end and we usually go shallow at the last. I think most boats where you see Sheephead counts have gone fairly shallow at some time during the day. The 1/2 day boats stay shallow (less travel time too) more of their time on the water most often. 3/4 day boats have the time to travel to the deeper spots and still have fishing time for shallow water too. Cranking ..... yea and I do it with an 6500 C3 Abu so you can imagine !!!

Await your next,

JapanRon

Thank god for the power handle right? haha Perhaps you should consider investing in a curado. Those little reels are really effective in quick line recovery.