PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Ardent line of reel maintenance products

Stormcrow
11-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Does anyone use Ardent reel butter, reel grease or line butter? How do these products work for you? Just asking...

Nessie Hunter
11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Jason, stick with the tried and true stuff that is known to work...

Smoothdargs.com can set you up with most of it ASAP in your mailbox..

Oust Speed oil, Speed X or SaltX, for Spool Bearings and level wind.
Cals drag grease for drags...
Then pick up some Quality 'Marine' grease (note "Marine" for saltwater)...
Yamaha, LubiMatic (any automotive store), Or Evinrude (Outboard Wizard Evinrude-Parts) For all other bearings and interior salt proofing..

Good place to get the know how on all of this is AlanTani.com....

Trust me!!!! lol

Stormcrow
11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
You ROCK Frank...Gracias!

Dr. MindBendo
11-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Jason, stick with the tried and true stuff that is known to work...

Smoothdargs.com can set you up with most of it ASAP in your mailbox..

Oust Speed oil, Speed X or SaltX, for Spool Bearings and level wind.
Cals drag grease for drags...
Then pick up some Quality 'Marine' grease (note "Marine" for saltwater)...
Yamaha, LubiMatic (any automotive store), Or Evinrude (Outboard Wizard Evinrude-Parts) For all other bearings and interior salt proofing..

Good place to get the know how on all of this is AlanTani.com....

Trust me!!!! lol

Hey Nessie,

Would Penn grease be satisfactory for all other bearings and interior salt proofing? Sorry for the thread jack Stormcrow.

Nessie Hunter
11-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Penn Grease is good stuff.... BUT it isnt Marine Grease...
Marine grease has additives that Keep Saltwater from forming Deposits And corroding the metals..
Those deposits are very acidic and corrode metals.
The Bearings & drags are effected first.
The slightest deposit in bearings stops them from turning, then rust and pits = Toast!!!
Drags get completely fouled, then stop working or are very jumpy with less adjustment.. Then just stop working all together as the washers stick to the Plates.....

If you never fish the Salt, Penn is fine for you.. (not on Drags!!!)
Most/many people change up now and then Fresh to Salt.
Better safe then sorry....

Coating/painting all metal components and interior surfaces (eliminates water from touching, staying or forming puddles etc) will keep then running great for many years............

We have constant and never ending discussions about Lubricants on the Reel repair boards. LOL

Dr. MindBendo
11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Penn Grease is good stuff.... BUT it isnt Marine Grease...
Marine grease has additives that Keep Saltwater from forming Deposits And corroding the metals..
Those deposits are very acidic and corrode metals.
The Bearings & drags are effected first.
The slightest deposit in bearings stops them from turning, then rust and pits = Toast!!!
Drags get completely fouled, then stop working or are very jumpy with less adjustment.. Then just stop working all together as the washers stick to the Plates.....

If you never fish the Salt, Penn is fine for you.. (not on Drags!!!)
Most/many people change up now and then Fresh to Salt.
Better safe then sorry....

Coating/painting all metal components and interior surfaces (eliminates water from touching, staying or forming puddles etc) will keep then running great for many years............

We have constant and never ending discussions about Lubricants on the Reel repair boards. LOL

Thank you Sir. I use Cal's grease on my drags. I look at getting some Yamaha grease then.