PDA

View Full Version : Good halibut gear...

rusn007
11-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm trying to put together a nice rod/reel combo primarily for halibut surf fishing (using Lucky Craft). So far, I have been using Penn Fierce speening reel - which is great, but after consistently casting for hours, I feel that it is too heavy for this purpose.

So, I started to look at bait casting reels (never used one before). I want to get something that is light, durable, casts far and doesn't break the bank too much.

I came across these:
Abu Garcia 5500C3 Ambassadeur C3 Baitcast Round Reel
and pairing it up with
Shakespeare Two-Piece Ultra Light Action Ugly Stik Lite Casting Rod, 7-Feet

For the experts, what do you think? good/bad/ugly?
Any other recommendations? suggestions? I want to stay under $150 total (rod and reel). Thanks for help.

Sharkbait
11-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I used to have a Abu Ambassadeur reel and it was ment for casting swimbaits into the kelp for Calicos. I didn't like the drag system and the casting. I ended up using it for cat fishing. I also own a ugly stick but it's a 12' spinning rod. I like it a lot but I wouldn't buy a two piece casting rod and 7' is also too short.
I'm a fan of shimano reels and which ever rod you buy it should be 8' minimum and least a medium action rod. Take in your recyclables and up your budget to $200.

Anthony

rusn007
11-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I used to have a Abu Ambassadeur reel and it was ment for casting swimbaits into the kelp for Calicos. I didn't like the drag system and the casting. I ended up using it for cat fishing. I also own a ugly stick but it's a 12' spinning rod. I like it a lot but I wouldn't buy a two piece casting rod and 7' is also too short.
I'm a fan of shimano reels and which ever rod you buy it should be 8' minimum and least a medium action rod. Take in your recyclables and up your budget to $200.

Anthony
What would you get with a $200 budget?

Sharkbait
11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I use a Shimano Cardiff 300, cost about $110. I does the job for me. When I first started casting Big Hammers I bought a Turners California Calico Special Rod. A lot of the regulars may not recommend it but for your budget and as a starter rod I will recommend it. A 8' medium casting should be good. When I get home later I'll PM you what action rod I have exactly. I also can't remember the price but it may be under $100. The disadvantages of this rod are it's a little heavier then a top brand rod and heard they use cheap guides now. The advantages of this rod for you is the price and lifetime warrenty(does not include the guides). This outfit will give you casting distance using 12lb, will be lighter then what you currently use, and will have back bone to bring in big fish. In the future you can always upgrade your equipment.

Anthony

manuel149
11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
We are on the same boat. I went to turners today and have gone to other tackle shops and the rod that keeps coming up is the shimano clarus. Turners had a 7' It was about $80. thay had also a longer rod 7'11" for about $100. Reel he recomended a spining shimano saros $130.
what do you all think? time to price shop?

Psycho_fish'r
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
We are on the same boat. I went to turners today and have gone to other tackle shops and the rod that keeps coming up is the shimano clarus. Turners had a 7' It was about $80. thay had also a longer rod 7'11" for about $100. Reel he recomended a spining shimano saros $130.
what do you all think? time to price shop?

Shimano is the way to go! Best warranty on the market. All Shimano stuff is priced the same everywhere you go, just like Oakley. You have to be an authorized dealer and all the retailers sell it for the same price.

gone catchin
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I like the Cardiff too. If you want a more low profile reel look at the Okuma Alumina. I picked one up on sale a couple months ago for 60 bucks and love it. I,ve fished them both on my 7' Quantum Smoke with 10lb triple fish and can launch the LC's with either set up.
Check on line for prices. You can find a lot of good deals.

manuel149
11-09-2011, 05:28 PM
What is the max line capacity i should look for? I found the rod im getting now i need to deside on the reel.

iLLest
11-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I use a Shimano Convergence 7'2 Power:Med Action: Fast Rod & a Shimano Stradic 4000 series
Pulled up a number of fish on this setup, you can feel the strength in the drag on the Stradic. Rod runs about $80 and the reel about $160. Total of $240

My previous setup was a 7'0 Shimano Convergence and a 4000 Series Shimano Symetre, pulled up multiple hali's and leopard sharks without too much problem. This setup will run you $80 for the rod and $90 for the reel, a total of $170.

If you really want to stay under the $150, cause I know sometimes money can be an issue...
Shimano Convergence/Clarus rod with Medium power and a fast action is perfect. For the reel, a 2500 series or higher sedona, sahara, symetre should do.

sidified
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
When I first started fishing the surf I found that the very affordable, smaller sized Ambassador bait casters functioned, and handled surf conditions really well...perhaps because their tolerances aren't as tight as high-end reels...
That's the main point I want you to be aware of... bait casters are a lot less tolerant of sand than spinning reels...as in, get smacked by a wave or two, filled as they are with churning sand, and your bc can get real grindy, real fast..if not seize up entirely...
Now primarily, I use bait casters (Calcuttas and Curados).. but I'm going to bring a spinning outfit along as backup! I've paid the price more than once, ending my day early, and having to send a bc down to Shimano for 'desanding'..BTW, tearing down a bait caster to clean it yourself will leave you wishing you'd taken up golf instead...