PDA

View Full Version : Late Report: Skinner 11/5/11

sweetfish
11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Got to the lake a little late (6:20am) and headed straight to the Ramp 2 area. Rumor was trout was stocked the day before, so my friend, dad, son and I wanted to see if the stripeys were in a playful mood. Stayed in the area for about 30 minutes with no signs of life.

With nothing going on, we decided to go hit the ledge on the North shore to see if there was some life. Sure enough, we get to the area and my depth finder starts marking some fish. They were in the 28-30 foot zone. after about ten yards of drifting, my finder starts showing the zigs and zags. I tell everyone to get ready because we are about to get bit. 2 seconds go by and bam, I get bit on my trap. i get the fish in the boat and we drifted futher down with no more activity. So we moved back up to the original spot and the school was gone.

Then after 30 more minutes of nothing we head to the inlet with 6 boats already there. We fished the current for a few for nothing and moved towards the bouy line and metered the usual large school. Like last week they only wanted the cut bait and livers and didn't want the artficials. After seeing a few caught on bait and us getting no love, we moved to outside of Ramp 2. I found the hump there, but no one was home.

We decided to give up on the stripers and see if we could get into the largemouth action that Matt Magnone was experiencing. So we motored into Ramp 2 area and started attacking the tullies toward the back end. Sure enough we were starting to get a few bites on plastic jerkbaits and small spinnerbaits. Then we started to notice the white heron, white pelicans, comorrants, and seagulls working the back end of ramp 2. I put the trolling motor on high speed and cruised in the area. Sure enough there was fish working the baitfish here. We started to throw the traps and plastic jerkbaits and I get slammed. I was thinking largemouth and to my suprise it was a striper. The depth these fish that swimming in was only 4 feet. For the next two hours we stayed in the area and slayed them. To our surprise, there was not another boat the whole until the end when a pontoon boat showed up and anchored on a point. We ended the day with 20 stripers kept and 6 or so released with 3 largies released. We headed back in around 3ish and left them biting.

Thanks to P.A.W. with the feedback and Josh at Last Chance Bait and Tackle for the tips, we wouldn't have done so well.

P.A.W.
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Great day! I'm sure I saw you at some point. It's always fun when you can put your guests onto some good slayage.

sweetfish
11-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks P.A.W. Thinking about hitting the lake up again on Friday before the big storm this weekend.