PDA

View Full Version : stocked trout tips????

socalbassboy
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi...i got my butt handed to me last saturday while trout fishing...i was wondering if you guys could tell me what set up to use for trout fishing with lures...what rod,line,rigs...PLEASE!

TUNAVIC
11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I'll chime in on the line,no more than 2lb test high quality mono,or flouro,always.next.....

fishinkid
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Trout anywhere love jigs and plastic worms. Peewee worms and jigs work really good you can log onto peeweebaits.com to order all of the jigs and worms you will need and you can email matt@peeweebaits.com for tips on how to fish the products.

Circuit
11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
mini jigs and trout worms are my favorite, make sure you use them on an ultra lite rod/reel combo for the best results. i'm currently using a kencor magnaglas with a quantum catalyst strung with 2lb maxima, which i found to work well for jigging. kastmasters, roostertails, and smaller rapalas also work well

CraigH
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree with mini jigs and trout worms on 2 lb. You can also use roostertail and panther martin spinners, and daredevle, kastmaster, and thomas buyoant spoons. I would use 4 lb test for these on a 6 to 7 foot rod.

fish-o-haulic
11-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Only place minijigs doesn't seem to work as well as bait is brite lake. For a while all my fish there came off of rainbow and cheartruse power bait in the morning and night crawler In the noon but lately they've been all coming on powerbait. The last couple of years anyway

TheAsianGuy
11-07-2011, 01:12 PM
If you're on budget, don't go for the rods that will bankrupt you. Simple light and ultralight rod will do just fine, unless you're chasing trouts that are 5+lbs at Corona/SARLs. Basic light and ultralight rigs are fine. Bass Pro got some nice light rods from Daiwa, BPS, Quantum, Browning, Plueger, Shimano, or a few others within $50 to $100 range. You don't have to spend $300 setup to catch trouts. I got a $5 yard sale setup that caught just as many trouts as my old $75 setup. Just watch out for the cheap reels that may snag and snap your light line when the fishes decide to bolt on the initial reactions. My ultra and micro Quantum, Browning, and Daiwa have yet to fail me. Not even a snag. Smooth as butter. Caught basses and a carp well beyond 3lbs.

Lines: I'm barely into the braid, but so far, loving it! Extremely sensitive. I can feel those tiny nibbles, and even hookset one right on the fins during one of the nibbles. I stuck with 2lbs PowerPro braid, with Berkeley and PLine flouro as leaders. If you feel uncomfortable, there are 4, 5, and 6lbs braid. Stockers normally don't go more than 2lbs, unless there are special stocking for the monsters that go over 5lbs. Your setup will still handle it easily. Panfish masters like fishmounters, leadhead, SirBluegill, even NaturalLefty go for mono, 2 to 6lbs, or hybrid lines from YoZuri. It's all about your budget. By the way, easy on the flouro, since it's a freaking pain to handle the line. It's not the most reel friendly due to its stiffness.

Rigs: Wow. this is another discussion all together. Shallow water that's 5ft deep, use bobber with an 18" leader for worms, corns, crickets, grubs, and my favorite, Velvetta cheese ball the size of the corn nibblet. Of course, I season it a bit with garlic powder, olive oil, onion powder, and dried shrimps/anchovies. For deeper water down to 15 feet, bobber at the very end of the leader, 24" to 36" length from swivel, using sliding egg Texas rig. Hook or hooks should be at east 12" away from bobber, and at least 8" off the ground. This will present the bait off the ground in the bite zones. Caught cats and trouts on the same line with three hooks using cheese baits.

Lures: have you ever try foam bugs fly fishing lures? Those lures are a freaking amazing thing. 18" leader on a sliding clear bobber to add a bit of casting weight. A nice Betty's bugs or wooly bug, and you got yourself an enticement rig. Cast, and slowly reel in every other 10 seconds, just 6 to 10" at a time.

Fysher
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
There's a whole lot of varieties of lures that can be used to catch trout, but I usually stick with the following: Plastics - mini jigs or trout worms (suggest using 2lb test on a 7 - 7 1/2 ft UL rod)(favorite size and color for me is mini jig size 1/64 in baby frog color)
Metal - Kastmaster (chrome, gold, or chrome/blue), Super Duper (Use 2 - 4lb test line)
Spinners - Panther martin and roostertails (use 2 - 4lb test line)

Rigging - Just tie the lure to the line and that's it. You can also use a small bobber when using a mini jig to get more distance and keep the lure at a certain depth. Also, try using scent on the plastic jigs. Scent I use is Smelly Jelly in nightcrawler works well or bite-on garlic and so on...

If using bait, use carolina rig or pinch a split shot on your line.

What lake/park were you fishing? I could give more insight on what bait would work good. I've fish the OC city parks often and found that certain parks the trout would take a certain bait/lure over the other. The main thing about trout fishing (pretty much any fishing) is to bring a variety of bait/lure. If you don't get bit, change it up and you will eventually find what bait/lure they want that day.

reservoir dog
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
For lures I like to use roostertails or kastmasters. But when in doubt there's always PowerBait...LOL. Before you determine what rig, lure or bait to use you have to consider the environment you're fishing in. For example, you can use a salmon egg in some areas but that won't work for other areas that you might fish. And even with PowerBait, some colors don't work as well others.

Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you use a light test with an ultralight rod. Leave the big guns at home when you're fishing for trout. Don't be a fool like those poachers who show up saltwater rods and shark hooks...

TheAsianGuy
11-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Leave the big guns at home when you're fishing for trout. Don't be a fool like those poachers who show up saltwater rods and shark hooks...

:ROFL: oh my freaking side. I'm laughing to the point where tears are trailing! You always have a a good sense of sarcasms on you. But your point do hit home, and so do others. Varieties of baits and lures is the key. I always carry a backpack full of baits and lures just to hunt for trouts, where as other species, one small box is more than enough. Trouts are finicky bastards.

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 03:27 PM
:ROFL: oh my freaking side. I'm laughing to the point where tears are trailing! You always have a a good sense of sarcasms on you. But your point do hit home, and so do others. Varieties of baits and lures is the key. I always carry a backpack full of baits and lures just to hunt for trouts, where as other species, one small box is more than enough. Trouts are finicky bastards.

I find trout to be more finicky during cold weather. Thats when i bring out my jigs but during spring it seems all they want is power bait and nightcrawler.

reservoir dog
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Regardless of what you're fishing for you should always have a variety of bait & lures. For trout, have a variety of colors for Powerbait, a variety of lures in different colors and then some nightcrawlers. If one thing doesn't work try another. You can't rely on just one type of bait or one type of set up. You can also top it off with a little attractant which doesn't hurt either. FISH ON!!!:Fishing Hole:

TheAsianGuy
11-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Suggestion: if you're at a fishing hole before the crack of dawn, or well into the night, the glowing green light that runs off the 12V battery will be your best friend! I caught trouts at 2am and 4am with this light. Attach to a float with a nice 50ft of line, 100 is even better. Toss the puppy out 30ft pass the shoreline, light it up, and in 20 minutes, you'll have plenty of fun dead in the middle of the night.

DotA
11-09-2011, 03:27 AM
i heard about people using trailers pb,drews,peewee worms for their jigs/spoons how do u set that up with such a large tribble hook when the worms so small or do u change out for a different hook?

ako
11-09-2011, 04:23 AM
i'd be interested in learning how folks are fishing for trout with plastic worms.

i've had really good luck with stocker fish using silver 1/6 oz mepps syclops spoon or mini jigs. for power bait, i do the carolina rig with long 2 to 3 foot leaders if the water is deeper, with the bait barely covering a 16 or 18 treble..problem is the fish tend to swallow the thing whole.

TheAsianGuy
11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
When fishing trouts, we don't use plastic worms and treble hooks in the same sentence :LOL: PB is used with treble. Me, I like to use single #4 to #18 hooks, depending on the size of trouts I'm aiming for. Stockers, I like to stick with the #14 barbless single hook, with small trout worms, sometime, I have to chopped it into 2/3 or 1/2 segment, drip it into trout scents. Plastics can be a pain to play with especially with hook sizes that are in the #14 to #20. However, fresh wiggly live worms are a lot better than plastics. If you're using treble, average stocker, I use #16 to #18 treble hooks if they're elusive to my single hooks. If I know the trouts are in the 2lbs and larger, I switch to #8 single hooks, or #12 treble.

As for the hook being swallowed whole with PB, either go up with the treble hook size, like #12 or #10, or go with a single circle hooks, which is a lot less in gut hook than smaller treble.

reservoir dog
11-09-2011, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=TheAsianGuy;591153]When fishing trouts, we don't use plastic worms and treble hooks in the same sentence :LOL:

That's a good one...well you could if you wanted to create your own miniature Alabama rig (trending now)...LOL!!! Put 3 plastic worms on a treble hook and there you go...FISH ON!

Use a treble hook for PowerBait or any doughbait. A single hook for worms whether it's plastic or real. Personally I only use plastic worms for LMB and real worms for everything else.

TheAsianGuy
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I have tried mini-trout platic worms in the past on small trebles, up to #18. It can get ugly. I use T-rig/wacky rig method on the treble with 2 of the hooks, leaving the 3rd one exposed for the hookset, simply by looping the excess worm around the 3rd hook. I've been quite successful using a bait screw, and attached it just above the eyelet of the treble hook. Fish swallow the worm, and the hook will either set in its mouth, or right on the outside. However, single hook is always recommended.

Calamba rig! LOL..oh man..trouts and Calamaba rig..can't wait to see that in action.

stocker
11-13-2011, 10:38 PM
It has been mentional already but I would say that a small black and gold panther martin 1/16th or even 1/32 oz will kill in many situations.