PDA

View Full Version : Differences fishing Irvine vs Sarl/Corona?

Ultralight
11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
My two boys caught the fishing bug and I'd like to continue teaching them to enjoy and value the natural resources and opportunities that we have. Fishing is part of that. Just realized that SARL/Corona is the same distance as Irvine for us.

So here are our questions: What are the advantages of each lake relative to the other? What's the general feel of fishing at each of the lakes? Why do you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
UL

TaperSteve
11-07-2011, 06:41 AM
In my opinion which also happen to be facts...

1. You can troll the Vine where as Corona/SARL are too small to do so.

2. the Vine is much bigger thus it is has holdovers.

3. the Vine host many, many tournaments and derbys as well as different promotions throughout the year.

4. Very, very, friendly and helpful staff.

I'm sure there are many more reasons I can think of. If I think of anymore key reasons i'll post another reply. Not trying to bash Corona/SARL by any means just trying to point out why I prefer fishing the Vine instead.

TS

etucker1959
11-07-2011, 08:24 AM
If fishing from a boat with bait or plastic Corona is a damn good lake. If you want to troll your face off Irvine is the hands down winner. For shore access SARL is the best. But where do I go? Go where it's happen at the time. Right now that's Irvine. But when the other's go off or a when they have a special stocking of fish, (lighting trout ) for example, fish the lake that has them. I am not bias. Ive slayed, killed, murder in all three of the lakes. Beware of peoples opinion on this forum that seem to go one way or the other but not both ways. It seems your either a SARL/CORONA kind of guy or a Irvine dude, weird I know. I'll fish anywhere there biting so follow the fish reports, or plain just ask on this forum which one is bitting best right now. Good Luck

Hometown
11-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I agree with TaperSteve and the scenry at Irvine is much nicer

TheHegemon
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
After being skunked at SARL, I was thinking of going to Irvine.

Would it be worth it to try to fish from shore there? Or would I be better off heading to Corona?

E.A.R.G.
11-07-2011, 10:44 AM
After being skunked at SARL, I was thinking of going to Irvine.

Would it be worth it to try to fish from shore there? Or would I be better off heading to Corona?

if you're shore fishing, Corona is hands down the lake to be at. If you wait a while and are willing to go the distance, Laguna Niguel is another good bet.

snslarison
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree mostly with Steve. Although SARL and Corona have do have ok tournys and promos too.

TheAsianGuy
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
To add to TaperSteve list:

5. Large lake, but also deeper depth. Holders can growth well in deeper water during off-seasons.

6. Greater lake's diversity equal greater chance for monster fishes due to large fish species and population, yielding interesting catches.

7. More exercises for tubers and tooners.

Downside is the wind. It can get extremely hairy there at times.

TroutOnly
11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
THUS THERE ARE HOLDOVERS IN THE VINE,,,,,,,,,,REALLY,,,,,,,,,IVE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT LOOKED LIKE THIS OR HAD THIS KIND OF A TAIL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_3598vvvvvvvvvv-----------111111111111111.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_1547pppppppppppppp---------1111.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOURE KIDS A OUTDOOR EXPERINCE GO TO A LAKE LIKE SILVERWOOD,THEY HAVE EASY ACCESS FISHING FOR THE TROUT,PLUS YOU CAN CATCH STRIPERS AND CATS AND BLUEGILLS FROM SHORE,THERES CREEKS RUNNING IN A TRUE OUTDOOR EXPERERINCE, WITH ALL THE TREES AND WILD LIFE A MORE MEMORABLE TRIP FOR THERE YOUNG MINDS TO TAKE IN. ALL THE URBAN LAKES ARE MOSTLY THE SAME DESPITE THE PERSON DOING THE COMMERICAL FOR THEM, ,,,,THE VINE THE VINE THE VINE,,,ALMOST AS BAD AS BITE-ON,,,BITE-ON,,,BITE-ON,,,,,,,,,JUST THE SAME TIRED COMMERICALS,,,,,,,,,AND THIS IS FROM A SOURCE THAT FISHES IN MANY SO CAL LAKES, WELL EXCEPT THE PAY LAKES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

get some
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
make sure you dont pay a "professional guide" that has a bad attitude and that will try to charge you for a ticket that was his fault like someone ^^^

I fished both lakes with my kids. I feel Irvine is a little more better for kids. They have the small kids lagoon where you have plenty for shore fishing.

Corona is still a cool lake too.

TheAsianGuy
11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
TO is right. Silverwood is a great experience along the southern shorelines, if you don't mind the wind. If you have the time, how about DVL, Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, Lake Perris, or a few others in the Inland Empire, before heading to the mountain? If you have time to head to the mountain, Big Bear, Gregory, Silverwood, those are good choices.

Hey TO, who's the guy holding the fish. He got some cool silky hair!

jpod
11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
thats diamond valley isnt it ?

THUS THERE ARE HOLDOVERS IN THE VINE,,,,,,,,,,REALLY,,,,,,,,,IVE NEVER SEEN ONE THAT LOOKED LIKE THIS OR HAD THIS KIND OF A TAIL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_3598vvvvvvvvvv-----------111111111111111.jpg
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_1547pppppppppppppp---------1111.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOURE KIDS A OUTDOOR EXPERINCE GO TO A LAKE LIKE SILVERWOOD,THEY HAVE EASY ACCESS FISHING FOR THE TROUT,PLUS YOU CAN CATCH STRIPERS AND CATS AND BLUEGILLS FROM SHORE,THERES CREEKS RUNNING IN A TRUE OUTDOOR EXPERERINCE, WITH ALL THE TREES AND WILD LIFE A MORE MEMORABLE TRIP FOR THERE YOUNG MINDS TO TAKE IN. ALL THE URBAN LAKES ARE MOSTLY THE SAME DESPITE THE PERSON DOING THE COMMERICAL FOR THEM, ,,,,THE VINE THE VINE THE VINE,,,ALMOST AS BAD AS BITE-ON,,,BITE-ON,,,BITE-ON,,,,,,,,,JUST THE SAME TIRED COMMERICALS,,,,,,,,,AND THIS IS FROM A SOURCE THAT FISHES IN MANY SO CAL LAKES, WELL EXCEPT THE PAY LAKES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Perris Bluegill Chaser
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Let's keep it real. Corona small lake lot of fish= the kids will catch fish.............My frist trip...

fish-o-haulic
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
make sure you dont pay a "professional guide" that has a bad attitude and that will try to charge you for a ticket that was his fault like someone ^^^

I fished both lakes with my kids. I feel Irvine is a little more better for kids. They have the small kids lagoon where you have plenty for shore fishing.

Corona is still a cool lake too.

What did ya do to this guy TO LOL. But ya on fishing places Tapperstever TO and asainguy know there stuff. Just play enie menie minie mo betweent them. My perference right now would be Irvine right now to be honest.

Troutman65
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Not sure if Irvine has holdover trout . The possibility of that happening would depend on if the trout can survive the Dog Days Of Summer . It certainly could happen. Irvine, SARL, Corona lakes are all good to fish . Just wondering what size hook to use trolling with the Bite On Sents ?

TaperSteve
11-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Just wondering what size hook to use trolling with the Bite On Sents ?

Hook??? Who said anything about a hook? :Rolls Eyes:

I just tie the whole bottle on and cast it out. The fish love it sooo much they "Bite-On" and don't let go.

TS

Thisfool
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
in your first sentence you seem to stress respecting nature. and in all honesty you cant respect nature when you standing in a gravel pit with your back to the freeway off ramp and have industrially buildings all around so that kinda counts out SARL.

now both Irvine and corona have a remote feel with out being very remote. at Irvine ive seen coyotes and deer along the shore line and hawks dive bomb the lake and catch trout in early spring.

and thanks to the two mild summers and two winters with heavy rain Irvine lake is at all time high water levels which means they defiantly have hold overs. out near the damn and at mid lake they said it was 60-70 feet deep and that was before all the rain and the lake was spilling over the damn.

but anyway Irvine is my favorite lake so i say go there especially if you want to or can rent a boat to try tolling just pm me or tapersteve for advice we both be be glad to tell you what ever you want to know probably more then you want to know about trolling at the vine. but with that said for shore fishing corona gives you more access not that they have foot for foot more shore space just that corona is at best a third the size of Irvine so a higher % of water is accessible from there shore line. but also with that said corona on a daily basis gets more people then Irvine and im not saying that Irvine doesn't get packed just saying Irvine has more places to pick up and change location then Corona

TroutOnly
11-08-2011, 07:21 PM
fishohaulic how is some one who only fish's in one place tell you or know about other lakes,,,,,,,get real,,,,like silverwood or bigbear ,piru ,anywhere but the mudholes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
fishohaulic how is some one who only fish's in one place tell you or know about other lakes,,,,,,,get real,,,,like silverwood or bigbear ,piru ,anywhere but the mudholes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TO what the hell is this what did i do?

Ultralight
11-08-2011, 09:41 PM
THANKS for all who responded. Seems like Irvine has a lot of fans - and yes, the environment sure seem more 'natural'.

Well, as a newbie, the next visit to Irvine for our family will be our first visit. With large lakes like that, it is always intimidating for a first visit because I have not a clue where to set up if we shore fish. We can troll but I'm likely to try shore first to get to know the place a bit. The challenge of large lake is figuring it out. With smaller lakes, one can always see where others are getting bites and walk around- not to mention the fish will likely swim by in schools. The larger lakes allow fish to aggregate at some location. So is there one or two spots that is generally a pretty reliable go to spots at Irvine for shore fishing? I understand there are no guarantees of course but some tips on location would be much appreciated.

UL

smokehound
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Eastern Sierras. I win. =D

TheAsianGuy
11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Dang it smoke. You got to it before I even get a chance to check my email :LOL: Shoreline can be tricky, especially when the weather drops into the low 40s, and up to the 60s during the day. Sudden temp drop means different species biting, and different hours due the moon phase for the past few days (clear and feeding frenzy during full moon in the dead of the night). Attack the boat launch/marina area and head west towards the dam, near the dense trees. Underground root protrusion will yield a great mix of catches. Be sure to have multiple hook sizes and bait types ready. Ask the people around the marina and tackle shop to see what's the catches along the shoreline for the past 2 days, and locations. If they don't give you a clear clue, head along the southern shoreline to the dam, the best that you can. Use this map as a reference:

http://www.irvinelake.net/camping/map-of-campground

As smokehound indicated, Sierra Cove is the best all around. However, starting from the marina and move your way towards the Sierra Cove will give you great advantage. The trees provide an overcasting shadow over the water a bit longer, and fishes tend to congregate below them for falling victims (bugs). The earlier your start, the better chance you get to nail quite a few more before day breaks. The West Fork is known for the bait fishes to linger and feed and protect themselves for the predators. So, basses tend to rush in and out of this area quite often for the feeding frenzy.

If you like to focus on trouts, best to move from the marina toward the east, to the point call Trout Island. From the tip, cast as far out as you can using a 1/4oz sliding egg Texas rig, with a power bait of your choice, with a nice 20" flouro leader. They will hammer your line the second the bait is in sight. Cats tend to hammer the yellow-green garlic powerbait as well, so be ready.

If not, gills are on the bite in the shallow areas. Sliding bobber rig with a 18" flouro leader will be great, using red worms and crickets. Have fun, tight line. Family and I will be hitting Irvine again later this winter.

TroutOnly
11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Shut up oneleg oh i mean smokehound,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,fishohaulic ,,,,,,,,pay lakes pros only know how to catch trucktrout,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ultralight
11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
The AsianGuy, thanks for a whoppingly great post! Much appreciated.

UL