PDA

View Full Version : BBL November 5 - Happy Birthday, Mom!!!

etaggart
11-06-2011, 07:49 AM
BBL 11-05

Father-in-law Jim came down from Gilroy with the boat on Thursday to try and get some end-of-season Big Bear trout. Friday's snowfall left 3 to 5 inches and cold temps. He couldn't get out on the lake, but the East Launch guy said they'd be open 7am Saturda
Nephew Adam and I came up the hill Friday after work - had to chain-up but roads weren't too bad.

We knew we didn't need to worry about waking early, so slept-in Saturday morning and woke up to this:

So what ... clear the snow off the boat, let the rods warm-up, get some night crawlers at K-Mart just for fun, and see what we can do. Get to the East Launch - and CLOSED! Tried BBL Marina and Holloways - all closed for launching. We assume it was because of the icy ramps and they didn't want idiots like us sliding into the lake with our trucks and trailers.

With the boat still on the back, we head to the dam about 11am, park on the north side and start tossing bobbers with nighty crawlers and/or powerbait. Cold - mid-thirties - sunny with clouds passing by - the occasional snow flake.

I get the first hit on PB, miss it, then get another hit on a nightcrawler and miss it. Long story short, we end at sunset, I landed 5 including the biggest at 19" - and I farmed 6 or 7 more. Jim finally got into the action late and landed 3. Adam got a ton of hits but swung on them all like it was the world series of bass fishing (just think, he taught me how to fly fish for trout and now he can't get a trout to save his life. He finally settled in VERY late in the day and landed 2 with what felt like 10 farms.

We kept my biggest, one other of my early ones, and one of my later ones that was bloodied from the fight.

Got home, Adam cleaned and prepped, I BBQd'em and we all got fat.

We'll see what Sunday brings.

Cheers,

Eric

jmytuna
11-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Nice
Guess I better put the bass stuff away till spring
Hopento get at least one moremtube session for trout

etaggart
11-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Hey Joe - We did see one fearless tuber out almost the entire time working the buoy line and surrounding areas. He must have been doing well or wouldn't have put up with the conditions.

Didn't look like you (I think it was a grey tube) but we were wondering if you were out.

I'll be up next weekend for 4 days Fri-Mon and I'll definitely be tubing NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS!!!!

Cheers,

Eric

Sublime-Steve
11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
oh man... niiiice! It's been forever and I need to get up there.:EyePop: how deep were you @ the dam. ( pm me if u dont wanna give up the secret) lol

FSHNLIC
11-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Gotta luv Big Bear and their gorgeous holdovers!!! Nicely Done.... will be there soon!!!

jmytuna
11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Day 7 of a 12 day run
Will be up fri night so let me know where to meet up sat.

etaggart
11-07-2011, 06:13 AM
@Steve - we were floating bobbers from 6 to 18 feet - I was a little deeper than the others on Saturday and getting more hits, but Sunday they were hitting higher in the water. Saturday also showed lots of trout breaching the water.

Kelster
11-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Water looks like glass, beautiful with the snow, but very cold looking.

Mojave River Angler
11-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the report. Looks like things are shaping up for good trout fishing. I just might have to break out the kayak again. I was hoping to get back to Isabella, but it is in transition so stuff is hard to find. Water dropping fast. So if the power boat isn't ready to go this weekend I'll grab the kayak and see you guys on the west end.
MRA