PDA

View Full Version : appalo park fishing derby, howd it go?

Trout Chaser1
11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Couldnt make the Appalo park fishing derby..
So how did it treat all of you:!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I got sick i couldnt make it out.

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
i was out there... 1st was a 12.2lber,2nd was an 11.14 lber, and 3rd was a 10 something....it was TOUGH but big fish were caught

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
i was out there... 1st was a 12.2lber,2nd was an 11.14 lber, and 3rd was a 10 something....it was TOUGH but big fish were caught

Did alot of people skunk out there.

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:41 PM
no...lol i did...but anyone that used bait got bit...i fished lures the whole time so ya...

Trout Chaser1
11-05-2011, 08:44 PM
damn... ima hopfully hit it up tomarrow for hold overs

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
damn... ima hopfully hit it up tomarrow for hold overs

ya dude there were some monsters cruising around that no one caught

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
no...lol i did...but anyone that used bait got bit...i fished lures the whole time so ya...

really in may fishing was tough. People that did get fish got like 5lbers and several of em. But those fish were biting randomly on just about anything. someone would catch like 2 on a certain color powerbait then no more fish would bite power bait. Then An asain guy i talked to was using thomas bouyants caught 2 on those then no more fish were biting. then someone used earthworm caught like 3 then the fish didnt want earthworms anyomore. Im telling you that was the weirdest day ever. the fish were just biting on whatever, then when it got real windy and late the fish took nothing at all.

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
ya dude there were some monsters cruising around that no one caught

When trout are up close to shore they dont bite. I cant explain it but been to several lakes where the trout got real close but they wouldnt take bait. Probably cuz there a real spook easy fish.

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
ya it was weird out there today too...not a single bite,follow, or anything for me man... and i fished all kinds of trout lures...i think it might have been my line that the fish were spooked of

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:51 PM
what line were you using.

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:53 PM
what line were you using.

6lb and 4lb....mostly 6

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I used 6 last time, most people were catching on 2-4lb test. I think my hooks were to obvious last time. Cuz i was using treble hooks that were red colored and there were medium sized.

socalbassboy
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I used 6 last time, most people were catching on 2-4lb test. I think my hooks were to obvious last time. Cuz i was using treble hooks that were red colored and there were medium sized.

ya...maybe...

Trout Chaser1
11-05-2011, 08:56 PM
ive seen DD trout 4 feet in front of me..
you know your desperate when you try to hook him by the side with your lure:LOL:

Trout Chaser1
11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I fish trout every year with extrodinary results..... I would highly suggest re line your reel with 4 pound line, throw on a swivel/dual lock, then run a leader prolly 1-2ft with 2p test.. and like a size 12 trebel for appalo, ive caught most of mine with the 2ft leader because the weeds are so high up in that lake. ( dont know if its true, some guy told me that then i began catching fish)

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Ive seen guys do that the last 2xs i was out. I wouldnt do it because its illegal but it kinda drives you crazy when you see 6lb trout swim right next to you bait and they dont even take a look at it. I even set up a bobber and let my hook set like 2feet down from it and the fish still wouldnt take it. Next time im going with 4lb line no trebble hooks decent sized amount of power bait and the best line that will look dang near invisible.

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I fish trout every year with extrodinary results..... I would highly suggest re line your reel with 4 pound line, throw on a swivel/dual lock, then run a leader prolly 1-2ft with 2p test.. and like a size 12 trebel for appalo, ive caught most of mine with the 2ft leader because the weeds are so high up in that lake. ( dont know if its true, some guy told me that then i began catching fish)

the weeds are redicoulous high up in that lake. and its not a seasonal thing its always like that. In the summer time though the catfishing and carp fishing is excellent. I walked away with 15 carp days in the .5 to 5lb range from that lake, and twice as many cats. I just dont eat apollos fish other than there trout.

Trout Chaser1
11-05-2011, 09:02 PM
do they stock the kittys/carp?

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
carp have always been there and they used to stock kittys but someone told me this past summer they stopped. I hope its not true because the kitty fishing is amazing, but i went at a time when they should of been hungry this past summer and the lake was dead.

stickin' it
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Was really crowded. Kinda reminded me of Opening Day at Crowley Lake. Windy, cold. It's definitely winter now. I went to see what it was all about, I think I work entirely too dang much! Within first hour biggest fish was caught on bait, 12lb 2oz. Pd $1680. 2nd place came about three hours into it, was about an 11lber, paid $11xx, on bait. 3rd place on the board early at 7+lbs, don't know what it paid or what it was caught on. I think the rest of the board was 2lbers. Seems like most of the fish were caught on bait. A lot of people caught nice planter fish. They kept announcing on the PA that there was a 15lber still in there. That may still be the case. Seemed as though the bite shut off around 10am. Slow pickin' from there on out. A friend went out there later in the afternoon after the derby and said the bite picked back up with lures and jigs working besides the usual bait stuff. Everyone seemed to behave themselves, the sheriff were out in force. The Quartz Hill Women's Club did a great job, lots of prizes and raffles. Their "Lightin' Rounds" were a cool touch. They'd announce a random weight and the first person to get to the scales with that weight won some money. Last wieght was 14ozs and paid $100. So one didn't have to have the biggest fish just the right one. I think everyone was having fun.

fish-o-haulic
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
that sounds cool. I get out there friday since then i should be a healed up and not busy.

Piss on Myspace
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM
i took 9th place ($112) with a 2.7....hooked up 15 minutes into the derby on a white minnow. finished the day with 3 fish landed, and a few farmed as well (jigs)...biggest fish was something ridiculous like 12 pounds...also caught was an 11 and i think a 7-8 lbr...fast and furious in the beginning, slow slow slow after the sun came up, some big fish pulled out tho...seen what i think was the 15lb cruising around a couple feet off shore.
go get boys, there still in there!!!

tpfishnfool
11-06-2011, 06:08 AM

Those are not weeds... They are TURDS ! Them thar fish dont like to eat for a few days after plant. They have to get used to the turd taste of the water//

FSHNLIC
11-06-2011, 09:15 AM
i took 9th place ($112) with a 2.7....hooked up 15 minutes into the derby on a white minnow. finished the day with 3 fish landed, and a few farmed as well (jigs)...biggest fish was something ridiculous like 12 pounds...also caught was an 11 and i think a 7-8 lbr...fast and furious in the beginning, slow slow slow after the sun came up, some big fish pulled out tho...seen what i think was the 15lb cruising around a couple feet off shore.
go get boys, there still in there!!!

Congrats!!! Welcome to the Winner's Circle... hahahaha.... I sucked a@$ yesterday!!!

cutbait
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Those are not weeds... They are TURDS ! Them thar fish dont like to eat for a few days after plant. They have to get used to the turd taste of the water//

I heard Apollo is "reclaimed water"

Just nasty even thinking about peeps eating that sick stuff.

socalbassboy
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I heard Apollo is "reclaimed water"

Just nasty even thinking about peeps eating that sick stuff.

dammit....i new my trout fillets shouldnt have been glowing...LOL

TroutOnly
11-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Watch out for the browntrout,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TheAsianGuy
11-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Looks like you guys have fun anyway. Congrats on the catches. Like I said in other posts, fishes get stocked in a pond that hardly have anything to eat, give it a few days, they'll eat anything you throw at them. As SmokeHound pointed out about the hormone released by fishes via anal secretion or by blood to warn other fishes, heavy fishing pressure will do just that; kill fish bites.

cutbait
11-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Given the facts of Lake turd roller and Smokes theory of anal secretion....

Did anyone try Brown Powerbait?

Could of been a wide open bite on the Chocolate flavor?

Monday morning quarterback I know... But could of paid off

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-07-2011, 12:01 PM
It was an extremely tuff bite…

I didn’t arrive as early as planned and was subject to walking the lake looking for a spot to squeeze in on for me and my buddy….arrived at 6:30 (b4 derby time)

1 cast had 3 people snag my line….subsequent next 5 casts had the same so in 6 casts I probably had my lure see 6 foot of fishability before tangling…

Had to move immediately….

Tuff real tuff…

Fish were real dosile….could get them ta chase but tuff to get commitment…

the PB chuckers clearly were doing better this year…as the sun got higher the deeper zones put fish out but there were only a few zones that put out consistently from what I saw.

I fished lures w 2lb and had many chasers…

Landed 4 quality trout that always have serious back and put up great battles on tha 2lb but not good enuff ta get me into the money : (

It’s all good…that’s fishing and that’s what happens at this lake and the derby….no need to cry about the clusters of lines and fouled lures as this is what transpires there and that will always be that way.

It was a good time…real rough but always a good time

Good to see fellow Fnn’rs out there that stopped and said hello after the derby…

Trout9 Socalbassboy, Indo angler….. nice talking to you, it’s ashamed the bite wasn’t better : (

Socal…practice those methods I showed you on the jigs and downscale to 2lb and you’ll do better in time : )

I met at least 4-5 other FNN’rs sorry I forgot your names but nice seeing you out there…any day on the water is a good day : )

There were still many nice trout left as they just weren’t biting that well….

I decided to hit it for a quick shot for a trophy on Sunday and I fished the last 2 hrs and 15 minutes of the day…

Landed Four 2 to 2 ½ lb trout on Kastmasters…..

Also lost 2.

Sunday they wanted the KM but Saturday the mini jig did better….

SUNDAY, I still saw at least a 5 ½ to 6 ½ and a 7 lbder cruising but they still would not bite.

There are still many quality fish there to be had and I’d bet that 15 lbder is still there so any of U thinking of hitting it I’d say go hunt those hawgs out…

The fish really turned on the last 10 minutes of the day with multiple hookups right as I had to leave.

They were still getting a good amount on PB Sunday but I left the PB in the truck purposely….

I think the fish will get more corporative as things mellow out without being pounded so hard by so many anglers….

I believe 1st place was 1,600 and change and 2nd was 1,100 and change…

Congrats to that lady with the PB that went home with that chuncky 1,600 check : )

Till next time,
Gary

TroutOnly
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Powerbait rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my snuggles
11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Fished there today and a limit was pretty easy and they were dinner size, was out of there at 09:00 all on night crawlers.

FadedOne
11-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Went there Sunday too with the GF and kids. Pulled out a few on flies, but the bite was slow. PB was doing good all over the shore and a guy near us was doing decent on some jigs. I actually met a guy trying to catch trout with what looked like a weght, jig head, and huge chunk of shrimp. Needless to say he didn't have much luck.

Trout Nine
11-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Fished Derby Day and lots of fish were caught lots of big fish seen in the lake
but my day was slow. I caught two on power bait lost a few on crawlers just
couldn't let him run before I set the hook trying to avoid tangles with limited
room to fish. Over all very nice day nice talking to you to Gary and the other
FNNers out there hope to fish with you guys again soon!
Get out there there's still BIG FISH in there to be caught

Till next time see ya... T9

my snuggles
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
went with buddies again to Apollo Lake today and limits were the rule out there for most people that were fishing there, it took a little longer than yesterday. seen a few on the opposite side of lake in the 7-8 lb size, most though were pound to maybe 3 pounds, good enough for dinner. the majority of fish were caught on night crawlers today. all of ours (15) were on night crawlers, dipped in garlic smelly jelly and pumped with air.

TheAsianGuy
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
3lbs+?! Dang. What did they feed the fishes before they let them loose in that crazy pond? Hopefully not the spineless brown trouts. :LOL:

fish-o-haulic
11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
3lbs+?! Dang. What did they feed the fishes before they let them loose in that crazy pond? Hopefully not the spineless brown trouts. :LOL:

Most trout in that lake are about that size Leo.

TheAsianGuy
11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
WOW. Do they constantly stock those large fishes there or someone spiked the water with mutagenic genes and hormones to make them that large? Must be a fun-fest every time to you guys land one of those puppies.

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

I’m not the biggest trout fisherman you’ll meet but I gotta give each and every one of those fish credit….

They got serious back for trout and are some nice drag peelers as far as trout go…

2lb test and those fish in that lake equals good clean fishing fun now matter how you chalk it up…

Average fish I would say is about 1 ½ to 2 lbs that’s the average… with many many larger units available

They have grown them right as far as the trout world goes…

It’s not a lake I will fish year round but the time surrounding the tournaments it’s well worth the time to get “yo’ fish on !”

Go get ‘em : )

Brown trout and all : )

reservoir dog
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM

I picked up a 3lber last year after the derby. And while I was chatting it up with a local there, he points out a 10lber cruising by. I must say they stock some pretty decent sized trout out there in the desert.

socalbassboy
11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
It was an extremely tuff bite…

I didn’t arrive as early as planned and was subject to walking the lake looking for a spot to squeeze in on for me and my buddy….arrived at 6:30 (b4 derby time)

1 cast had 3 people snag my line….subsequent next 5 casts had the same so in 6 casts I probably had my lure see 6 foot of fishability before tangling…

Had to move immediately….

Tuff real tuff…

Fish were real dosile….could get them ta chase but tuff to get commitment…

the PB chuckers clearly were doing better this year…as the sun got higher the deeper zones put fish out but there were only a few zones that put out consistently from what I saw.

I fished lures w 2lb and had many chasers…

Landed 4 quality trout that always have serious back and put up great battles on tha 2lb but not good enuff ta get me into the money : (

It’s all good…that’s fishing and that’s what happens at this lake and the derby….no need to cry about the clusters of lines and fouled lures as this is what transpires there and that will always be that way.

It was a good time…real rough but always a good time

Good to see fellow Fnn’rs out there that stopped and said hello after the derby…

Trout9 Socalbassboy, Indo angler….. nice talking to you, it’s ashamed the bite wasn’t better : (

Socal…practice those methods I showed you on the jigs and downscale to 2lb and you’ll do better in time : )

I met at least 4-5 other FNN’rs sorry I forgot your names but nice seeing you out there…any day on the water is a good day : )

There were still many nice trout left as they just weren’t biting that well….

I decided to hit it for a quick shot for a trophy on Sunday and I fished the last 2 hrs and 15 minutes of the day…

Landed Four 2 to 2 ½ lb trout on Kastmasters…..

Also lost 2.

Sunday they wanted the KM but Saturday the mini jig did better….

SUNDAY, I still saw at least a 5 ½ to 6 ½ and a 7 lbder cruising but they still would not bite.

There are still many quality fish there to be had and I’d bet that 15 lbder is still there so any of U thinking of hitting it I’d say go hunt those hawgs out…

The fish really turned on the last 10 minutes of the day with multiple hookups right as I had to leave.

They were still getting a good amount on PB Sunday but I left the PB in the truck purposely….

I think the fish will get more corporative as things mellow out without being pounded so hard by so many anglers….

I believe 1st place was 1,600 and change and 2nd was 1,100 and change…

Congrats to that lady with the PB that went home with that chuncky 1,600 check : )

Till next time,
Gary

for sure gary! thanks!