PDA

View Full Version : Skinner striper still wide open

P.A.W.
11-05-2011, 03:19 PM
In honor of the new trout plant on Friday I went and splurged on a new Loomis swimbait rod to throw my BBZ. Also had my Punker ready on another rod. Spent the better part of 2 hours throwing trout patterns, but no takers. So off to the troll. Hit 5 on the urig fast so I put that away and started back on the shallow troll with my slashbait. Still right where I left 'em last weekend. 3'-10' of water. Around 9:30 a bit of surface action started so I threw the Spook for a few fish. All the action attracted enough boats that I went off to the North side east end. Back into the shallows and there they were. Lost count of how many landed, but took home a limit.

Maybe the comming rain will bring out the trout eaters on Sunday. I'll have the big guns ready, but in the meantime 2-3 pounders on light tackle is a hoot.

Hey Jag, go right to your old trout trolling grounds. ;)

30lber
11-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I miss the oportunity this morning.
Clear sky tomorrow a.m. Ill be there before the rain.

P.A.W.
11-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Yah man, Biminis up and a thermos of coffee. All set for whatever comes.

JAG107
11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
oooooooo I can't wait. Wish I coulda been there today!

skunked again
11-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Great stories P.A.W. Keep um coming!

P.A.W.
11-06-2011, 04:07 AM
OH, I thought I'd include a pic for those who want to match the hatch. A few weeks ago I was seeing silversides in the bellies of the fish I was cleaning. Today it was threadfin shad about 4" long.

JAG107
11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
OH, I thought I'd include a pic for those who want to match the hatch. A few weeks ago I was seeing silversides in the bellies of the fish I was cleaning. Today it was threadfin shad about 4" long.

I found those same shad in the bellies of 2 of 3 today, they were stuffed full. Some weeds in there too.

30lber
11-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Almost had limits this morning.
Should have went with heavier line instead of 2lb test.
I saw 3 to 4 inch shads spitting out there mouths.

Slater
11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the update on whats going on out there... I was curious if anybody braved the weather and scored any sizable fish throwing big baits after the plant. Might go out for a paddle tomorrow and I appreciate you guys sharing the size of shad found in your catch. Way to keep up the work on limits!!!

P.A.W.
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I went out today Sunday with the intent of trophy fishing. Threw my Punker and BBZ again for nada. I asked Shannon the ranger how many people she has been seeing at the cleaning station with trout. "Not too many" was her reply. Seeing as all the striper people are catching are just full of shad I think we are still a bit away from trout pattern catches.

In general things slowed down today with the front moving in. Jag 107 and I both hit fish immediatly in the east end this morning. But the bite wasn't as sustained and vicious as it has been. I went out to meter pretty much the whole place and found a bunch of fish along the main bouy line pretty deep. The bait'n wait guys seemed to be doing OK. No fish metered along the north shore and few on the south shore . My buddy Bill kept at 'em in the ramp 2 area just circling the whole east end there and was rewarded with a limit on his pointer lure.

Slater, if I were paddling I'd stay shallow adjacent to tulies in 5-15 feet and throw or troll shad imitations. With the weather clearing you should do well.

kaiyasdad
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
which side of the lake? ramp 1 or 2.

P.A.W.
11-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Both. The salad is clearing in the ramp 1 side so it is very similar to the ramp 2 side. Of course, you know Skinner. Things can change anytime.

smokey25
11-08-2011, 02:07 PM
always love your reports. Getting my swimbait rods together. DVL and skinner are going off. Loving skinner for the low boat traffic though.