PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle: 2WD vs. 4x4?

shinbob
11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Thinking about getting a boat for the local lakes, maybe a 16' - 17' aluminum, or perhaps a used fiberglass bass boat. Will also have to get a tow vehicle.

For the local lakes (Castaic, Pyramid, Piru, DVL, BBL, etc...), are the ramps good enough so that I can get by with a RWD vehicle, or are there any situations where I would be glad to have a 4x4? From what I've seen, guys with RWD pickups seem to do just fine, but I'm worried about less-than-optimal conditions where I might get stuck. I.e. videos like the following from Elsinore, how did this guy get in to this situation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FshOpPqj88

dixoncider
11-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a 2 wheel drive truck and EVERY time I launch a boat I regret not just getting the 4x4.. I would say the 4x4 is a no brainier..just get it.. In salt water its a requirement if you ask me..seen plenty guys launch at high tide and come back and its minus tide or even just low tide and they end up with there truck in the water..all that being said I have not had any problems at Irvine, Pyramid, Castaic, Dvl launching with a 2 wheel drive.

TUNAVIC
11-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I have an 18ft C/C Wellcraft,tow it with a 1500 suburban 2wd,350 V8,and have never had a problem anywhere launching or retrieving,also towed my previous boat,it was a 25ft Tiara,with the same vehicle no problem.
I also tow my buddy's 24ft Robalo C/C,also no problem. All saltwater. jmo

Which Way Out
11-05-2011, 06:04 PM
There is a guy at calguns forums that has a real nice truck like this one for sale. Check it out and see if your interested.
We have this one, and its perfect.
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/truck.jpg

www.calguns.net calgunforum member name gasbrnr
wright5150@charter.net

HBAR
11-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Only time I've seen anyone need a 4X4 is at the last CAST event when they launched from Paradise cove since the ramp is being worked on. But at that the life guards had their 2500 out there to help pull the trucks/boats out. I've even seen a corvette pulling a 32ft speedboat, it was funny seeing it come around the corner and then seeing this huge boat behind it, I should have taken a picture cuz I'm sure there's a bunch of you who wont believe me.

mjc89
11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
A 2wd vehicle should be good for launching just about everywhere. There can be some lanch ramps that are steep but 2wd should be fine if your going to be launching a smaller boat. Only get a 4x4 if your going to use it, not just to launch your boat. But if you off road and need the 4x4 in other situations then it would be a good idea. Just remember when you launch your with a 2wd dont get your tires in the water so you dont lose tracktion on the ramp.

DockRat
11-05-2011, 10:27 PM
That guy in the video is a fool. :Head Bang:
Went to deep, too many rpm's. Should have stopped, put it in low, then gradually stepped on the gas.

4x4 if you need it, snow, mud.
4x4 uses more gas too even in 2wd mode.
More moving parts, more things to break.
DR

NFCD I
11-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I have an 18' Skeeter that I pull with a 2wd Tundra. I've never had a problem at any of the Riverside or San Diego lakes. If I can make a suggestion, think mpg. The cost of pulling a boat with a truck that only gets 13 mpg, adds up quick.

CaCondor
11-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a 4X4 and it is very handy when launching where there is no improved launch ramp or when the ramp has a thick coating of algae or moss. If you're only going to launch where there is lots of other launch traffic then a 2wd should be fine.

IN2DEEP
11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
That guy in the video is a fool. :Head Bang:
Went to deep, too many rpm's. Should have stopped, put it in low, then gradually stepped on the gas.

4x4 if you need it, snow, mud.
4x4 uses more gas too even in 2wd mode.
More moving parts, more things to break.
DR
Not to mention, higher insurance rates!

Been towing boats since 1983 up to a 22' aluminum
All 2 wheel drive trucks and a Chevy Astro van
Never had a major slipping issue

I do suggest that you get a limited slip diff and a trans cooler on the vehicle

Bassnman Mike
11-07-2011, 07:02 AM
I used to launch with a 4 wheel drive vehicle but never had to put it into 4 wheel drive so I switched out to 2 wheel drive with locking differential, like has been said, better gas mileage and less stuff to break, that was quite a few years back.

The only time I might have needed 4 wheel drive was at the lagoon when the water was low and the ramp dropped off at the end before the boat would float off the trailer, truthfully launching was easy, it was recovering at the end of the day that was a little questionable. Lucky for me I had a friend there who had 4 wheel drive so we just hooked the trailer to his truck and pulled the Champion out. He said that he didnt even put it in 4 wheel drive.

Bottom line, In My Opinion in most cases 2 wheel drive should be fine because most ramps are "improved" just put it in low gear and go slow, however if you plan to launch at a dirt ramp you might want 4 wheel drive.

shinbob
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the responses -- seems like based on my usage (freshwater only, improved ramps), that a 2WD should be fine, with maybe a LSD or locking diff to help if things get tough. I see that Ford is starting to offer an electronic locking diff on their 2WD F-150s, seems like that might be a good compromise for me.

dixoncider
11-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Get the 4x4......! why compromise..wish I would have

mjc89
11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
A 2wd with a locker would be more than enough. The 4x4 will use more gas and will be more heavy than a 2wd. A locked 2wd is actually better than a 4x4 because both tires will be spinning at the same rate. If the 4x4 is open diff it can be almost the same as a locked 2wd. But if you really want no slipage then you would get a 4x4 with front and rear lockers.

SDDave
11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
4x4 is the way to go, you never know when your going to need it, going to the mtn's or pismo, trip to Mexico, desert, adds value to the truck, insurance isn't that much more, I know you've been I'm my f150, nice trucks

Sparky70
11-08-2011, 04:19 AM
UR Right DockRat

Sparky70
11-08-2011, 04:23 AM
I have launched at Stine Cove many times with a 2-wheel-drive without any trouble.

shinbob
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
4x4 is the way to go, you never know when your going to need it, going to the mtn's or pismo, trip to Mexico, desert, adds value to the truck, insurance isn't that much more, I know you've been I'm my f150, nice trucks

Yeah Dave, it's being in (and driving) your truck that makes me want to get an F150. It's awesome! Nicer inside than a lot of luxury cars. But the Lariat 4x4 Ecoboost SuperCrew starts to get a little pricey...

Fysher
11-08-2011, 09:28 AM
2WD is fine (depending on the size of your truck) my buddy launches in saltwater fine with his 05 2WD taco and his 16ft fiberglass boat. If you want to launch a yacht then get the 4x4 if not, 2WD will suit just fine. You just have to know the do's and don'ts when launching boats.

This is how I see it. If you're going to use the 4x4 often then get 4x4 if not then 2WD is fine. 4x4 just more stuff to maintenance

NoHo ART
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
get your self a nice 2wd suv and you will be just fine.. and comfy to sleep in as well

fishfinder
11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I have 4wd, and never use it for pulling my boat out, but I won't ever buy 2wd again, cause when i need to offroad, or the rare time it snows here i am ready. on another note, i have been looking at buying another one, but like you say they are pricey. what i found out is i can lease for 3 years, and then buy it after the 3 years are up. lease price verse buying is $200 cheaper a month. 38k for a new 4x4 f150, extra cab.

DockRat
11-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Get a 1966 -1970 Oldsmobile Toronado
This heavy front wheel drive big block V8 classic will pull up any ramp and they kick
butt in the snow too. GM really went for it with this FWD V8 design.

455 cu in (7.5 L) Rocket V8
Curb weight 4,496lbs.[4]

Oldsmobile spent seven years developing the Toronado. Prior to its introduction to the public, over 1.5 million brutal test miles had been performed to verify the strength and reliability of the Toronado's front-drive components.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/taurus562/Oldsmobile-Toronado-02-1024.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/cheeta2425/Car%20Shows/Oldsmobile-Toronado-01-1024.jpghttp://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/PtCruiser24Turbo/Automobile/th66OldsmobileToronado.jpg DR

shinbob
11-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Get a 1966 -1970 Oldsmobile Toronado
This heavy front wheel drive big block V8 classic will pull up any ramp and they kick
butt in the snow too. GM really went for it with this FWD V8 design.

Haha, reminds me of the Brady Bunch towing their camper with that station wagon. I guess back in the day it was no problem towing stuff with those big old, body-on-frame, V8 sedans.

shinbob
11-09-2011, 06:58 AM
get your self a nice 2wd suv and you will be just fine.. and comfy to sleep in as well

Thanks Art, I'm still looking to tow *your* former boat with. I should get a tow vehicle like yours, then I could have my whole family sleep back there, plus probably the dog as well!

NoHo ART
11-09-2011, 07:11 PM
make sure to get the diesel you wont be disappointed

DockRat
11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
make sure to get the diesel you wont be disappointed

What is the new law with getting diesel's smog tested ? It used to be all diesels (cars & trucks)
were exempt from smog test's but the law changed ?
DR

dixoncider
11-10-2011, 07:02 AM
They do a visual inspection to see if it has been modified and then a snap test on the pedal to check for smoke..nothing down the tail pipe..just a way to get another $69 buck...

See Chris Fish
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
It's not required, but I love knowing, in a pinch, I can have all wheels pulling me up the ramp. Haven't needed it yet, though.

If you can get a 4x4, get a 4x4!!!!! IMHO