PDA

View Full Version : Swim baits for Hailbut

Catalina CD
11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
What are some good swim jigs/baits to use for catching halibut? I've been using War Bait slayer heads with Berkley Powerbait swim shads for calico's, and they seem to work well for bass. Would a similar set up work good for halibut? If so, what colors? Any advice would be appreciated:Wink:

DockRat
11-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Swimbaits work good. Sunny, hazy, tons of advice out there if you search.
Smelt pattern, Grunion, Anchovy, Sardine, White. Do some homework on MC, Big Hammer.
DR

DockRat
11-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I recently purchased an aluminum boat, and need to get it ready for the saltwater.

How did the boat do at Catalina this summer/fall ?
Is it filling up today with rainwater or at home ?
DR

brad1
11-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I use bass assassin...there usually my go to bait...Texas riged...but it would mostly depend where you are fishing for them bay/surf???for colors I like to go with dark out dark bait....light out light bait...works for me....at least a good starting point to se what there hitting on.

BabyKiller
11-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Assuming that your question is about the surf, I use 1/4 to 3/8 oz. Anything heavier tends to drag the bottom, which i have much less success with. I have used 3" pearl swimbaits in a mackerel color. Slow crank, let it sink a bit, slow crank. Any resistance is a bite, continue reeling as you lift the rod. I prefer to throw on 6 to 8lb spinning tackle.

Psycho_fish'r
11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
BLAMS! Darker colors for lower light/stained water, lighter colors for sunny/clear conditions.

DockRat
11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
..but it would mostly depend where you are fishing for them bay/surf???
Keep in mind that he lives at Avalon Catalina.
DR

Catalina CD
11-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I recently purchased an aluminum boat, and need to get it ready for the saltwater.

How did the boat do at Catalina this summer/fall ?
Is it filling up today with rainwater or at home ?
DR

It's held up very well so far. I keep it tied up to the dinghy dock. Takes a lick'n, and keeps on tick'n! It does collect quite a bit of rain water, but I've since added an automatic bilge pump. Makes me sleep better at night:)