PDA

View Full Version : Slot limits for striper in SoCal lakes

stocker
11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Slot limits. Would this be a good or a bad thing for striper and for the other species in southern california lakes or am I just beating a dead horse with this question?

Bassman1974
11-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Kill Kill Kill Slay Slay Slay all stripers!! They eat everything.

NFCD I
11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Lake Texoma is known as one of the premier striper lakes in the country. They have a 10 fish limit and only 2 can be over 22 inches. I was there two weeks ago and out of the 75 - 100 stripers we caught, only 9 or 10 were over 22 inches. It makes it difficult to argue pro slot limit. If DVL used Texoma's slot limit, there would be a lot of people going home with a lot less fish. Maybe you raise it to 30 inches for DVL.

kwin
11-05-2011, 05:50 PM
size limits are only necessary for species that are threatened with overharvest of mature fish. Striped bass in inland waters do not need protection from overharvest, which is why there is a 10 fish limit (exceeding 10 is deemed wasteful by the F&G Commission) and no size limit. I've said this before and I will say it again, the ONLY way to maintain a healthy striper fishery that contains an increased average size is to harvest as many as legally allowed. There is NO WAY angler harvest can compete with the reproductive potential of striped bass in inland waters. PERIOD!