PDA

View Full Version : spinning rod question?

efrain
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Looking to buy a spinning rod for the surf if anyone has any info on shimanos crucial compre's teramar in the 7'6 -8ft rods or other brand please comment? looking to use it for 3in. swimmies and dropshot.

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Looking to buy a spinning rod for the surf if anyone has any info on shimanos crucial compre's teramar in the 7'6 -8ft rods or other brand please comment? looking to use it for 3in. swimmies and dropshot.

Hi ya efrain!

I prefer a 9' to a 9'-6" St. Croix or G-Loomis. I own a few Shimano Clarus rods and like em a lot!
I like a 8-17 lb 3/8 - 1 1/4oz weight. I also like to be able to lift my line above the incoming waves. The longer rod helps me to be able to achieve that. The 8-17 lb has plenty of back bone strength to pull and or turn the direction of the fish. Well there's my :My Two Cents:!

I'm certain that one of the SWAT family members will be a lot more assistance to you than I.

Good luck in locating he rod that you will have confidence in and at the right price. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bsp
11-04-2011, 09:58 PM
If you're dropshotting and throwing 3in swimbaits, you aren't going to want to look at anything that much above 7'6". The longer rods in lighter line ratings are steelhead rods that aren't suitable for halibut fishing. They tend not to be as responsive due to their length, and they aren't particularly light weight either. They're much better suited to tossing Carolina rigs with 3/4oz to 1oz egg weights. They'll work if you can't dedicate the money to a specific halibut set up, but if you're spending the money go with a technique specific rod.

Bass dropshotting rods are what you'll want to look at. You're going to want to focus on rods with a line rating of 1/4oz-1/2oz and line rating from 6-12lb. Anything with a heavier rating is not going to perform as well when you have to drop to the 1/4oz lead heads or dropshot weights. I've been using a Phenix UMBX 706M for close to 4yrs and it's landed numerous legal halibut along with countless shorts with no issues whatsoever. The latest Phenix Recon 763 at is going to suit your needs really well, and is a bit cheaper than the UMBX. Still not cheap at $180, but it's a great rod. The Recons have noticeably more backbone than the line rating would suggest, is very sensitive, and you'll be able to cast the light weight rigs plenty of distance. It'll turn that big legal's head when you need it to. Don't worry too much about having your line above the waves. The wave action knocking your bait around makes it look closer to a panicked baitfish trapped in strong surge, and that can help trigger strikes. All you have to do is slow wind with an occasional stop, and let the current and waves give your bait that subtle action.

Anyways, that's just my opinion on the whole matter. Different guys have different views based on what works for them, and that's what makes fishing such a fun activity. You'll see guys pulling in fish left and right with rigs that leave you scratching your head. Remember, fish don't care what gear you're fishing. All they care about is how you present your lure, and different rods/reels allow you to do that better or worse. Go to a shop and pull on a bunch of different set ups to see what feels best for you. Having a really nice rig won't matter at all on the water if you're not comfortable fishing.

DockRat
11-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I
Different guys have different views based on what works for them, and that's what makes fishing such a fun activity. You'll see guys pulling in fish left and right with rigs that leave you scratching your head. Remember, fish don't care what gear you're fishing. All they care about is how you present your lure, and different rods/reels allow you to do that better or worse. Go to a shop and pull on a bunch of different set ups to see what feels best for you. Having a really nice rig won't matter at all on the water if you're not comfortable fishing.

Great closing paragraph Jerry. I fish with these border brothers in KH that
use some weird cheap gear. These guys kick butt on the lures and bubble fly.
DR

bsp
11-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not Jerry....

DockRat
11-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Lol, was thinking JerryG ?
Scatter brain, always working in 50 different directions.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/lethal_oz/spin_brain_2008.gif DR