PDA

View Full Version : wut works best for sea sickness

zaggededgez
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
well i dont got a good set of sea legs and am going ocean fishing in a few weeks. so wut works best for sea sickness

i saw on mythbuster they said some kind of herb works good

oh yea i am sure this has been mentioned on here many of times. i am just to tired to search

thanks

Greg Madrigal
08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Bonine for me. All others make me DROWSYYYYYY. Ginger is the herb that helps with sea sickness. May I suggest taking a few ginger snaps to snack on.

Personally, fruit always calms my stomach too. A good peach does ma good.

Good luck!

GM

one_leg
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Give Bonine a shot.

cappo
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
i saw on mythbuster they said some kind of herb works good

They were using ginger. I've heard from few people that ginger pills do work.

saintarv
08-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Not going works best for me. LOL

Nessie Hunter
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Best is the 'prescription patch' by far.....

Everything else is a maybe....

But time on the water solved my problem.. All gone...........

fuj
08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I've been using [url=http://www.motionsickness.net/:43882]Scopace[/url:43882] for the past couple of years. It has been working, so I've stayed with it. I have some scopolamine patches but have not had to use them. Dramamine, and to a lesser extext, meclazine (Bonine) make me drowsy.

Time on the water definitely helps. Other tips: avoid spicy and/or greasy food before and during the trip (unless you know you can handle it.) Take some antacid tablets with you just in case you feel that "sour stomach" coming on. And get plenty of sleep before the trip. Some folks take a half or a full motion sickness pill the day or night before going on the trip to get the medicine into their system before getting on the boat. No need to do that with Scopace, however.

mg2969
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
As a former boatswain's mate (bosun's mate) on board the USS ESSEX.
I always recommended a "very carb" and definitely no grease breakfast.
Toast, bagel, oatmeal.
Pancakes (lite on the butter)
No coffee
Think of it as a sponge

my 2 cents

getinmybelly
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
dramamine works for me. i take it about an hour before i get on the boat. first time i went, i took it as the boat was headed out and it didn't kick in soon enough. so i was pretty queasy for the first few hours.

smokehound
08-17-2007, 02:14 PM
While i dont suffer motion sickness, this site might help.

http://alternative-medicine-and-health. ... onsick.htm (http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/motionsick.htm)

08-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Steve and I used to get sea sick all the time...The patch is by far the best. We sometimes take a bonine along with it about a hour before getting on the boat.

hookemdano
08-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Scopace is supposed to be the best but I think it's by prescription. In any case, it will not make you drowsy like dramamine and bonine. Some people also use the wristbands - can get them at any pharmacy.

The only thing that worked for me was time on the water. I paid my dues with involuntary chumming until my body got used to it.

Good luck!

Beeracuda211
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
LOL, so you guys are saying the prescription patch with a tab of bonine will work?? or is that overkill?? someone pm me...

B/C