PDA

View Full Version : 11 / 02 Local Rockfishing .... Good Grade of Goats... Lotsa Pics

JapanRon
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1102ezine11P1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1102ezine11P2.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/tsurikichi/1102ezine11P3.jpg

murrieta angler
11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Cool report Ron,
I like the custom line spool dispenser.
I don't know why but I have been getting some line twist lately when I put on some new line?!?
The little "wavy thingy's" look like something that live in a deep hole down on South America.
I saw it on a documentary one evening. Supposedly they can move up to 70 mph, when in flight.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

Ifishtoolittle
11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm glad plastics are working effectively for you. It's all about the system!

Jig-Guy
11-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi Ron, thanks again for your report & pic's. ? what kind of lead jig & weight did it take to get down to the fish. My heaviest jig mold is a style 9 2 1/2 oz.
You folks are going to eat good with all those great fish. tl / jg

marzocchi
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I just finished up jig sawing the main parts. Hopefully my line winder turns out as good as yours. :)

JapanRon
11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi murrieta angler,

Thank you. Now's the time to make stuff like the winder to use in getting ready for next Spring. Line twist ? Conventional (level-wind) reels .... w/line wound straight off the spool ?

Yea .... those things have to be low-energy gliders of some sort. Aliens ? :)

JapanRon

JapanRon
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

So much for the Bocs, Perch, and Reds ...... as I can consistantly catch them. Now .... it on to try to catch the more challenging species such as Whitefish and more importantly Sheephead... MY WAY !! No brainer with Squid strips but .........

Looks like down-sizing the plastic and making it a critter is the key !!

JapanRon

JapanRon
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Jig-Guy,

Amazingly, by using 30lb test braid, I only need a 4 oz sliding egg sinker and leadhead ranging from 2oz to 1/4oz depending on the type/size plastic....... target species ....... and current / boat swing, to recently fish 325 feet AT ANCHOR !! Of course getting down is important but more importantly I'm seeing that staying at one point in the water column / on the botom / whatever is just as or even MORE important. Total weight average is between 4 and 5 ounces.

If you're using a critter with the rig I show in my report ... you might want to choose a short shank leadhead for one critter and long shank for another. I think the lighter the leadhead portion, the more action can be imparted into the presentation.

JapanRon

JapanRon
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi marzocchi,

I HOPE NOT !! It should turn out better...... that's the responsibility of those that decide to make one..... then share it with readers. I do urge you to do some extra brain-storming BEFORE you put those pieces together. Maybe just set it aside a day or two for a fresh look .... the brain is a funny thing as it can solve problems we didn't even realize existed at times !! I know from many years of doing this stuff. Another killer method is to tell a kid what you want, show it to them, and see what they say !! Humbling .....

Also drill ALL THE HOLES and pilot holes for screws that you will need as well as holes in strategic points for possible additions later. If you don't, you'll find drilling becomes a much bigger job or you start to compromise on your design !! THAT is a no-no ! Remember, you may want to add power to the system, as I will show I have done in Part III of my DIY section next week.

Await your winders debut !!

JapanRon

Jig-Guy
11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Good morning Ron, thank you for the follow up written above. I appreciate your information and will use it in the future.
Bill / jg

Ifishtoolittle
11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Ifishtoolittle,

So much for the Bocs, Perch, and Reds ...... as I can consistantly catch them. Now .... it on to try to catch the more challenging species such as Whitefish and more importantly Sheephead... MY WAY !! No brainer with Squid strips but .........

Looks like down-sizing the plastic and making it a critter is the key !!

JapanRon

Smaller grubs and worms might get the whitefish, but for them goats that'll be a challenge!

Daryl
11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Those wavy plastics WORK. I'm wondering how much you paid and where you got them. I paid about 1.20 each for those but they get destroyed by the monsters at Colnett. Those 5 - 10lb reds rip it to shreds and I'm lucky if I'm able to use the same bait twice. They have a long time to chew on it when you're pulling them up from over 400'.

JapanRon
11-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Daryl,

I got them at Fisherman's Hardware on Anahiem St mentioned in the report here. Might call if they still have some before going.

thanks,

tsurikichi