PDA

View Full Version : A little help... please Poseiden !!

SP Dan
11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
! have been working 11 1/2 - 12 hour shifts, 6 and 7 days per week the last 5 weeks.! Today, I get an opportunity to get off at 3:30 PM, so I grab my gear and bolt straight down to the local spot! I received some good INTEL the night before that the warming up of the weather and the off shore breeze was sometimes a condition for encountering my target species "Mr. Halibut". I'm all STOKED!! :EyePop:

Wednesday afternoon 11-02-11.
Session: feet wet at 1600 hrs until dark.
Air temp: 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Water temp: 62 degrees Fahrenheit. Clear. No salad. Signs of bait in water.
Sun set: 1800 hrs.
Moon: first quarter.
Surf: 1 ft, swell: 1 ft, sets: 16 secs.
Tide: out going H HT already maxed out at 1600 hrs @4.1 ft, 1800 hrs @ 3.2 ft.
Terrain: flat, wide sandy beach
Assault tactics: St. Croix 9'-6", 8-17 lb, 30# Samurai 8-carrier braided, LC 110 lure.

I arrived at my local spot and I'm the only angler as far as the eye can see! Hhmmmmm. It seemed a bit fishy! But, I'm liking this so far!
I went commando this night (trunks and water shoes only), I figured......what the heck! I'll go for it!

With a lot of determination, I commence doing the famous "NT Shuffle" of cast, retrieve, move, repeat! Sorry NT! ha ha. I was over lapping the previously fished area with casts as I moved. Casting ahead of my self as I moved forward.
I did this for one hour heading northward and then headed back southward, covering the same previously covered areas as I headed back in the direction of my truck. I had to stop and take pictures along the way because it was such a great day to be in the surf. Amazing! The fish weren't biting but the ocean was alive.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=33795&d=1320624546

Dolphin were leaping out of the water in pairs doing flips, riding up-side-down on each others backs and riding the surf waves in pairs. Harbor seals would pop up and take a good long looks. Must have been 50-60 Pelican bomber diving the area in front of me, 300 ft+ from the shore line. a hundred other water birds were also working the same areas. This activity continued until I departed.

Just no fish in the trench for Dan. A little help... please Poseidon !!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
11-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey Dan,
That's the way it goes sometimes.
All I can say is; " keep it up and you will get that halibut ".
As far as the shorts and shoes, I now have a new hole in my wader boot thanks to this 1/2" barb;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/1103110853.jpg

You only see 3/8ths cause the other 1/8th broke off when I first tried to get it out of the boot...:Shocked:

Robert
<><

Wingnut
11-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Hey Dan, I spoke to Poseidon and he said that you will be rewarded for all your hard work soon. :Wink:
See you on the 19th. :Cool:

jerryG
11-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Sounds like the some decent conditions but no one home. Some excellent advice by Robert. Hang in there Dan this time of year can be the most challenging its hit or miss. As water temps begin drop and the fish transition in to deeper water there are fewer halibut in the surf zone. However my experience has been fewer numbers but nicer quality typically with a better ratio of legals to shorts than during other times of year. Although Spring is hard to beat for both numbers and big fish. This is the time of the season when the big fish make their show. A lot of people make the mistake of giving up this time of year. Stay the course and rewards will come.

JerryG

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Hey Dan,
That's the way it goes sometimes.
All I can say is; " keep it up and you will get that halibut ".
As far as the shorts and shoes, I now have a new hole in my wader boot thanks to this 1/2" barb;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/1103110853.jpg

You only see 3/8ths cause the other 1/8th broke off when I first tried to get it out of the boot...:Shocked:

Robert
<><

Hey Robert,

Your photo definitely makes me think twice about protecting my self better while out there in the surf. Thank you for the heads up on the barb penetration! By the way....do you have any idea on which species that barb came from? :EyePop:

I'm still full steam ahead on hooking up with many legals and I'm not showing any signs of slowing down. Lovin it!
I really appreciate all your encouragement and guidance.

Thank you my friend, :Cool:

Dan

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Hey Dan, I spoke to Poseidon and he said that you will be rewarded for all your hard work soon. :Wink:
See you on the 19th. :Cool:

Hey there Wingnut!

Some how I knew that you and the big guy were talking, ha ha.

Thank you for slipping in a good word for me with Poseidon!

Even tho I have invested much effort, money and time...in return, I have been rewarded with an abundance of joy, relaxation and many new friendships.

Thank you my friend for your continuous support and guidance, :Cool: Your positive attitude is appreciated!

Dan

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Sounds like the some decent conditions but no one home. Some excellent advice by Robert. Hang in there Dan this time of year can be the most challenging its hit or miss. As water temps begin drop and the fish transition in to deeper water there are fewer halibut in the surf zone. However my experience has been fewer numbers but nicer quality typically with a better ratio of legals to shorts than during other times of year. Although Spring is hard is hard to beat for both numbers and big fish. This is the time of the season when the big fish make their show. A lot of people make the mistake of giving up this time of year. Stay the course and rewards will come.

JerryG

Hey there JerryG,

Yes, the lights were on (just not green).... but nobody was home! lol :EyePop:

I plan to hit the surf all year long and as often as my schedule will permit.
The colder months really don't discourage me at all, I lived up in Oregon for thirteen years and fished year round in the snow, rain and heat on the Rogue River and on the high country lakes. Nothing stopped me! Loved it!

I'll be setting up ambush for all the large "cold weather" sliders that make their showing in my area!
I won't become discouraged nor will I take my sites off the target! I'm looking forward to many more years of enjoyment and meeting nice people like your self!
Surf fishing has become a rewarding passion for me.

Thank you for your encouragement and guidance my friend, :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

gone catchin
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Unfortunate there was no catchin goin on that day. We've all had days like that, but fact is it still beats being at work. Get back out there and hopefully next time you'll be catchin.
I'm hitting LB in morning in search of the flatties. Hoping the rain today will set off a bite in the morn, weathers supposed to be nice by then.
Got 2 legals, 23 and 24, last weekend. Was tossing suspended LC by 5:30 sat evening. Within 5 mins had a 20 inch corbina on the beach. In the following couple hours got 3 short buttes, about 4 rays, and just before lights went out the 23 incher (which was dinner for myself and neighbors:). I followed up on sun morn as sun broke. Was fishing with suspended LC again and nothing in the first hour. Switched to DD LC and hooked up to an 18 incher within about 15 mins. Took about another half hour before my second one, but was worth it, 24 that time. Put that one back in the water for another day or another person. After another 45 mins or so of JUST FISHING, I decided to slow it down and try the bottom slow. Put on a Gulp shrimp carolina rigged and wouldnt ya know it, second cast got me a 15 incher.
It was a good weekend. And on that note, I wish you all the same!

bones
11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Unfortunate there was no catchin goin on that day. We've all had days like that, but fact is it still beats being at work. Get back out there and hopefully next time you'll be catchin.
I'm hitting LB in morning in search of the flatties. Hoping the rain today will set off a bite in the morn, weathers supposed to be nice by then.
Got 2 legals, 23 and 24, last weekend. Was tossing suspended LC by 5:30 sat evening. Within 5 mins had a 20 inch corbina on the beach. In the following couple hours got 3 short buttes, about 4 rays, and just before lights went out the 23 incher (which was dinner for myself and neighbors:). I followed up on sun morn as sun broke. Was fishing with suspended LC again and nothing in the first hour. Switched to DD LC and hooked up to an 18 incher within about 15 mins. Took about another half hour before my second one, but was worth it, 24 that time. Put that one back in the water for another day or another person. After another 45 mins or so of JUST FISHING, I decided to slow it down and try the bottom slow. Put on a Gulp shrimp carolina rigged and wouldnt ya know it, second cast got me a 15 incher.

Always nice when an individual puts up HIS report within your YOUR report hey Dan!! :Nut Kick:

That being said......Keep at it my friend. As soon as this storm rolls by and Poseidon calms a bit....Try the slow deep approach of dropshotting on your walk back over your tracks. It works ALOT for me. Alot of the time they are still there but just a little deeper,Further out.......and not aggressive enough to chase a bait. But a dancing fluke on a dropshot smeared with smelly jelly will entice a strike.

Just my two cents!

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Always nice when an individual puts up HIS report within your YOUR report hey Dan!! :Nut Kick:

That being said......Keep at it my friend. As soon as this storm rolls by and Poseidon calms a bit....Try the slow deep approach of dropshotting on your walk back over your tracks. It works ALOT for me. Alot of the time they are still there but just a little deeper,Further out.......and not aggressive enough to chase a bait. But a dancing fluke on a dropshot smeared with smelly jelly will entice a strike.

Just my two cents!

Hey Mr. Bones,

I swear you keep me in stitches :ROFL:

I have all the gear for the drop shot, I just haven't attempted it as of yet.
I've been 100% dedicated (consumed) to working on my lack of LC technique, that I probably haven't been switching my tackle to match the conditions. Oops!! My bad!

I have no excuses, I just haven't tried it yet but now is as good a time as ever I suppose! I heard and read that 18" and not more than 24" is the correct drop length. Is that true? Also, do you prefer the Dropper Loop or the Palomar drop shot rigging?
I also have the smelly :Potty: jelly ta boot! Man!!! You don't want to get that sh_t on ya!! :EyePop:

Maybe, some time you would have a little free time to help a "Grasshopper" to get the drop on the drop shot method. :Not Worthy:

I do realize that these are busy and some times difficult times for a lot of us, and I'm not free very often my self, so I know how it goes. I do think that it would be a good time tho!

The 19th is approaching fast and I'm looking forward to hooking up with you there!

Once again,
Thank you for taking the time to share some of your knowledge with me my friend, Take care. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

gone catchin
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm new to this online forum thang. Meant no disrespect if it was taken that way .
Sorry bout that.

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey there.....gone catchin,

I'm really impressed with your fish count! Nice variety pack! :EyePop: WTG!

I'm still working on my skills along with being at the correct beach at the right time and tide.

Thank you for taking the time to read my report my friend!

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm new to this online forum thang. Meant no disrespect if it was taken that way .
Sorry bout that.

None taken by me my friend!

I'm new also...and I am still making some mistakes along the way. :Cool:
Life is a learning process! And that way.....we know.....that we are alive!

SP Dan <"))><

gone catchin
11-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Good to hear. I joined up to hear and share the good, and the skunk days with others that appreciate fishing.
I'm still a newby to surf fishing myself, but I've been blessed with a little knowledge some good days like last weekend.
Now I just have to learn online etiquette.