PDA

View Full Version : WTB surf rod & reel for LC"S

manuel149
11-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I have gone out to tackle shops and i get diffrnt ideas and all sound good. So i thought i would rather ask the experts. Please specify why rod and reel so i know what specifically make them what i need. Thanks

oh btw maybe you got something for sale?

sshernandez
11-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Check out the new 8 foot Phoenix recon and its not to expensive at $190
. As for reel I use the currado 200e7. I just stocked up on my LC today. Good luck out there..

bones
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
My primary combo now is a Daiwa Luna 353 series paired up with a Shimano Crucial CRCC711MA Rod. The luna is a round reel (Not a Low Pro) and the 7'11" medium/fast action rod is actually intended for crank fishing but it is sweet for everything from perch to flatties.I've stuck with the luna primarily because it's a simple workhorse and tough as nails. Currados are very nice but one good drenching and your pretty much done for the day with shimano's over engineered stuff. Too many parts in those reels just like calcuttas IMHO. The surf enviroment is tough on your stuff.

bsp
11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd stick with the Luna in either 253 or 203 size like Mike (bones) suggests. I have a Curado and the ONLY time that gets taken to the salt is if I am sure it's not getting wet. Last few times it's gotten soaked or had the smallest bit of sand in it, it's then been totally useless for the rest of the trip. It's great if you never fish areas with any waves or just fish off jetties, but if you actually go surf fishing and wade it will get wrecked. Lunas straight up don't break until you've abused them for years, and even then the fix is pretty quick and easy (can be done at the car) usually.

I mentioned the rods in detail in my reply to your question on the customizing LC thread, but just to reiterate I think a Phenix Recon 804M is going to be what suits your needs best.

DockRat
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
My junk rod that sits in the car 24/7/365 is a cheap UGLY stick with a Shimano Symetre.
For a cheap spinner outfit that thing catches fish in surf or rocks, Perch, Halibut, Bonito, Rays.
DR

Psycho_fish'r
11-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Please specify why rod and reel so i know what specifically make them what i need.

¿Que?

If you ask 5 different people, you'll get 5 different opinions.

Here's the most important question.... What is your budget?

bones
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
It's not the rod or reel that will get you bit. I first started in the surf with a rod/reel combo that I used for LMB in the FW. It was an old BPS med 6'6" rod combined with an old school sedona. It worked great for me for over two seasons when I finally destroyed it due to letting it get burried in the sand by an incomming wave when I sat it down to unhook a fish. Use anything that you feel comfortable with and can afford to get wet within your budget.
Psycho_fish'r makes a good point overall.
It took me YEARS to move up the a $450.00 combo once I looked at alot of gear and learned to take care of my gear and protect it in the surf enviroment. The surf enviroment is probably the hardest of all on fishing gear.

DockRat
11-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Here's the most important question.... What is your budget? $$$

Good point PFr. Like Mike said too.
Baitcaster or spinner. Both catch fish.
Personal preference.
DR

n1ckxlam
11-05-2011, 12:36 AM
LC fishin is crank style so stick to the crank style rods, glass, composite or really light graphite. Crank rods need a little more give than your basic graphite rod. Phenix recon is a fine fish all but the x10 or glass rod is more suited for fishing hard bait. As for the reel, it's preference but I know a lot of folks prefer a slower reel as it helps with controlling the speed of the retrieve. I take my low pro out to the surf all the time, but then again, I clean out my reel every other outing at least and it does fine. All depends on how serious you wanna get about it...
Tackletour.com has some good reviews
Also, I myself don't actually fish hardbait much, So take it with a grain of salt, I guess.
Good luck!

Nick