PDA

View Full Version : Tuna huntin' cattle barge?

D@FFY
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
My soon-to-be step-dad, his kids and I wanna go catch some tuna. Any recommendations for a cattle barge? It'll be sometime next week during the week I think. We're thinking of heading out of either Huntington or Newport, and I'm assuming it'll be out to (or at least near) Catalina? I dont know if he wants to do a full day or a half day or what. Is there even such a thing as a half-day to catalina? Seems like you'd spend most of the time just getting there and back, but I'm not sure, cuz I've never been there.

Baseballer44
08-16-2007, 04:45 PM
not much tuna at catalina these days. try going out of san diego. its a little further drive, but it will totally be worth it.

one_leg
08-16-2007, 04:55 PM
How much are you willing to spend.

One_Leg

victor101
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
no half days to catalina...havent caught tuna at catalina...u can try a landing in san diego....

victor101
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
u can catch some "poor mans tuna" (bonito) at the pier.

valhalla_1_2000
08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
If you want to catch (or at least have a shot at) some albacore, try any of the 1 1/2 day boats out of Seaforth Landing in San Diego. You can also try the 1 day boats, but the 1 1/2 day boats are a much better value IMO. 1 1/2 day are around $300 per person, 1 day are around $180. If you want to spend quite a bit more money and want to go on a longer trip, you can try any of the long range (i.e. 3-5 day at this time of the year) boats out of Fisherman's Landing in San Diego.

D@FFY
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
thanks for all the tips, I thought there was some tuna fishin right outside catalina :cry:

I seriously doubt they're gonna wanna drive all the way to SD then go out for 1 - 1.5 days though. They're not hardcore enough for that heh.

Fish Dog
08-18-2007, 09:13 AM
If money's no object might try this...

http://www.bongossportfishing.com/

Catching albacore now (14 albacore & 1 yellowfin for 3 anglers yesterday) and with their speed it's a 1 day trip. $1800 a day for offshore trip for 6 people ($300 each) 5am - 5 pm.

Re8elmonk0341
08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
ive heard the the overnight boat out of dana and newport..maybe even long beach and san pedro are on some fish. just look at the fish counts.
http://www.sportfishingreport.com/

n1ckxlam
08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
On the Sea Horse out of Dana Point they have overnight trips going offshore for albacore for 160 a pop. just one night. Once in a blue moon you will catch tuna on a 3/4 day boat, but only in SD. Not gonna happen out here. But i do suggest fishing for yellowtail. the local landings can help you out with that.

Nick Lam

ghetto dad
08-18-2007, 08:29 PM
chances are, he is probably talking about catching a yellow.....for some reason, alot of people think they are tuna, which they arent, they are jacks.....anyways, lots of good advice from the guys man....good luck!! :D

Troutman65
08-18-2007, 09:17 PM
chances are, he is probably talking about catching a yellow.....for some reason, alot of people think they are tuna, which they arent, they are jacks.....anyways, lots of good advice from the guys man....good luck!! :D

Yellowtail are tasty on the bbq. You can hook up them at San Clemente Island trip also. I really don't think you could hook up into tuna out of an O.C. landing now. San Diego is where your going to hook up into tuna, albcore. Its well worth it to go on a trip out of one S.D. landings.
When you hook up into them tuna its worth the drive and the $$$.

Troutman65