PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra – 10/28-10/30 Conway/Hot Creek/Owens River/Intake #2

JohnnyBoy
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Eastern Sierra – 10/28-10/30 Conway/Hot Creek/Owens River/Intake #2

The Chronic crew decided to take a second trip to the eastern sierras before the close of the season and being relegated to fishing with the troglodytes. We would receive one final trip, of peacefulness, and natural beauty. We welcomed a new chronic crew member of John Peterson by way of Colorado on his first trip to the eastern sierras.

To make this trip even more special and improve our chances, we hired Frank Selby from His & Hers fly shop in Costa Mesa. All I can say is Frank thank you for a great job. We learned more in 8 hours of fishing with you at Hot Creek and the Owens River than we could have in 5 trips to that water. The Chronic Crew highly recommends Frank Selby as a guide. You will not be disappointed.

We traveled up Thursday October 27th after work. We arrived about 9ish and checked in to the La Quinta Inn in Bishop, set up shop, and had dinner at Whiskey Creek. The steaks were awesome. We set the wake up call for 6am.

On Friday, we headed up north for another shot at those big fish at the Conway ranch. We arrived a little early and Raven who runs the pond operations was yet to arrive, but not to worry. We were greeted by the man himself Tim Alpers. We had the pleasure of meeting, and picking the brain of this eastern sierra legend. Tim, we thank you for the hospitality and friendliness that you shared with us. You’re in our prayers.

We figured that we would do much better the second time around, but I have to give those tankers in the pond credit. They are VERY smart. That said we did land a number of fish. John Peterson managed two fish sizable but not trophy fish stripping an olive Woolley bugger. I myself caught six fish in the 2-5 lb range. I caught one on the green midge, one on the pellet fly, and 2 on the red San Juan worm, and 2 on the olive Beard Juan worm.

After our 2 sessions at Conway, we left and headed back to bishop creek and fished Intake #2. We threw Selby’s Black *****, here to forward referred to as the SBB. I caught two on the SBB, the chronic man threw the mini-jig and got bit his first cast. He had I believe 3 or 4 fish before the sun went down and we had to wrap it up for the night.

We met up with our Guide for the next two days of fishing. We had dinner, made our game plan and then back to the hotel. We had a wake-up call for 5AM as we were meeting Frank Selby at 6am. We wanted to be on the water at sun up for a shot at some of those big browns. We the first place we hit was Hot Creek. That said it was anything but hot, in fact it was damn cold. So cold in fact, that ice would build up in your guides to the point you couldn’t cast till you cleared the ice out of the guides.

At Hot creek, the chronic man once again got bit on his first cast throwing the fork-tail.
I managed two fish myself, throwing a black on red matuka, and the SBB. After the
Came up it started to warm up pretty quick, and we had pretty much fished that water pretty good. So we moved to the Upper Owens River. We fish several spots on the Owens. I will tell you that without a guide to help us, we would have been lost. For any first timers to the Owens, it’s worth the money for a guide. Frank knew that water real good and took us to all his honey holes. I ended the day with three browns caught, and I can’t even tell you how many fish I spooked. Stream fishing is a whole new ball game and you really have to know what you are doing to be successful.

Frank Selby our guide took the time to teach us the best methods to get the perfect drift, how to read the water, and how to work the fish properly so you land them. He did a great job, and I know I’m going to hire him again myself for another trip or two up there next season.

The chronic man and I both learned a tremendous amount. For Johnny boy in particular, I learned a trick on how to read the water and determine the feeding lanes. We threw the SBB and the flashback, and the San Juan worm.

The Owens is just so peaceful I don’t really know what to say. The terrain is just spectacular. Cows in the pastures, coyotes running by, meandering river, fish scattering when your shadow hits, the complete lack of noise other than the sound of running water. It is just so peaceful. I would recommend it to anyone.

That said however, this type of fishing isn’t for everybody, it is quite technical, but I have to say some of the most rewarding when you do get bit.

In conclusion, we caught fish, but not as many as I expected, but this was a learning and paying your dues trip. I would still call it successful thanks to Frank Selby our guide. I highly recommend Frank. He is quite a character and fun to fish with. His knowledge is endless and there isn’t anyone he doesn’t seem to know. On the river itself, we ran into three or four people who knew Frank. Anyhow you can reach Frank at His & Hers Fly shop in Costa Mesa.

See you guys out on the water and keep those rods bent and lines tight.

Johnny boy

bstolton
11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the report, sounds like you guys had a great trip and picked up some great info. I have never fished the owens, it sounds like a rewarding experiance. Having a guide sounds like the way to go.

DeepInTheWoods
11-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Great report..... I love fishing up there :Beer Toast:

JohnnyBoy
11-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the report, sounds like you guys had a great trip and picked up some great info. I have never fished the owens, it sounds like a rewarding experiance. Having a guide sounds like the way to go.

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. That said, yes, you would really enjoy the owens. For first timers a guide is a must and, you need a vehicle that can handle the dust and a dirt/gravel road. The vehicle will take not a tremendous beating, but a beating none the less. I would have gotten bit all day long if I wasn't such a sun clutz. What do I mean by that. You have to be really carefull when approaching a pool. When your shadow crosses the river and you see fish scatter. Your done at that hole for at least 30 minutes. Spooky fish. So you kind of have to go into B2 bomber stealth mode. But that's part of what makes this type of fishing so fun and challenging. I really respect the guys who kill it in this environment.

JohnnyBoy
11-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Great report..... I love fishing up there :Beer Toast:

Thanks Deepinthewoods. - Yes, it is awesome. I'm just sad the seaons is over. I guess we can still do the lower owens region correct ? I'll have to look into that, the urban trout fishing just won't do anymore after being in the eastern sierra.

John Harper
11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Hot Creek and the Upper Owens (above Benton Crossing Bridge) are now open all year, just CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY, barbless hooks.

John

RiverWalker
11-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Adding the EW (East Walker river) to your list of year round Special reg options in the Eastern Sierras. Plus PVR although it's not specially regulated.

Nice report JB! Love the Upper O too! Like you said, the scenery in addition to the fishing is just epic! You forgot to mention the Snow covered Alpine mountains in the back drop! The wild West!

Hot Creek and the Upper Owens (above Benton Crossing Bridge) are now open all year, just CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY, barbless hooks.

John