PDA

View Full Version : Proposed changes to ca striped bass fishery

ghost2uu
11-01-2011, 08:51 AM
The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is holding a public workshop to review its proposal to change sport fishing regulations related to striped bass. The workshop will be held Tuesday, November 8 at 7 p.m. at the Rio Vista City Hall, One Main Street in Rio Vista.

The proposal is supported by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Fisheries and is intended to help recover several fish species listed under the California and federal Endangered Species Acts. The proposed changes affect the striped bass bag, size and possession limits.

The proposal will be presented to the California Fish and Game Commission for consideration at its December meeting.

Striped bass have been abundant in California waterways since they were introduced from the Atlantic Coast in the 1800s. DFG scientists believe that the striped bass population in California has numbered in the millions every year for more than a century.
Striped bass are known and/or expected to prey on listed Chinook salmon, coho salmon, steelhead, delta smelt, longfin smelt and tidewater goby. While the extent of striped bass predation on listed species cannot be precisely determined, the best available science indicates that the impact could be substantial.

Efforts to manage striped bass became controversial in the 1990s with the listing of Chinook salmon and delta smelt under the state and federal Endangered Species Acts and have remained controversial ever since. To address concerns about winter-run Chinook salmon, DFG temporarily stopped stocking striped bass in 1990. DFG worked until 1999 to receive federal permits from the USFWS and NOAA Fisheries to begin stocking striped bass again, and in 2000 suspended all stocking to address concerns about several listed fish species in the Central Valley.

Controversy over striped bass management peaked in 2008 when the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta sued DFG under the federal Endangered Species Act, seeking to require the department to apply for federal permits to enforce one of the fishing regulations that limits sport harvest of striped bass. Both as part of a settlement agreement and as a result of continuing work by USFWS, NOAA Fisheries and DFG to recover the listed species, DFG and the federal agencies developed the proposal to modify striped bass fishing regulations in an effort to reduce striped bass predation on the listed species.

Although the amount of impact attributable to striped bass predation is not certain, DFG strongly suspects that the impact can be reduced by the proposed regulations. With the proposed changes, striped bass would likely become somewhat less abundant and the average size of striped bass would decline, but fishing effort and fishing success would likely increase for a period of at least several years.

DFG is also recommending an adaptive management plan that will help assess how the new regulations influence the fishery.

Humper
11-01-2011, 09:08 AM
What are the plans that would affect DVL?

ghost2uu
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Who is the "Coalition for a Sustainable Delta"

Answer: In the spring of 2008, the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta, representing the Belridge Water Storage District, Berrenda Mesa Water District, Lost Hills Water District, and the Wheeler Ridge-Maricopa Water Storage District filed a complaint in federal court alleging that the striped bass was the cause of the serious decline of the valley's chinook salmon and delta smelt. The complaint was aimed at DFG with the intent of removing the striped bass from the rolls of one of the state's gamefish and re-classifying it as an invasive species subject to eradication. The complaint was refused with leave to amend by Federal Court Judge Wanger on the issue of the lack of standing by the plaintiffs. The coalition was granted 30 days to amend and resubmit. The amended complaint was filed on August 22nd, bringing the matter again before the court.

Prior to the coalition's complaint being rejected in July, CSPA filed for and was granted intervener status . As intervener, CSPA will strenuously defend the striped bass's position as one of California's premier game fishes. Numerous studies discount the allegations made by the coalition. It is CSPA's position that the real culprits in the demise of the delta's fisheries are the very agencies suing DFG.

In many cases, water from the state and federal water projects is used to irrigate low quality cash crops in these agencies districts that would not be economically feasible without the provisions of taxpayer subsidized water. As a further affront, some agencies have even sold their water allocations to municipalities at usurious markups of as much as 1200% rather than use them for irrigation since they could amass greater profits.

Thats right it's the water districts that want to keep pumping water to the central valley for a few farmers to get rich. (and we all know the quality of life for farm workers in Fresno is garbage)

“Blaming striped bass for the decline of endangered Bay-Delta fisheries is yet another devious plot of the water grabbers who comprise the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta. It is obvious the Coalition considers the striped bass to be a roadblock for claiming more northern water. They should put their efforts toward addressing the real problems that have adversely affected delta smelt and Chinook salmon. If the Coalition is successful in their greedy attack, it will signal the end of a great fishery for many individuals and families, and for many young and old anglers who love the thrill of catching a striped bass.”
Keith Fraser, owner of Loch Lomond Live Bait and Tackle and a fixture in the history of San Francisco Bay fishing.

nolivebait4bass
11-01-2011, 10:33 AM
You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

HawgZWylde
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Hmm, sounds like an OWS poster. Those few rich farmers employed or were supported by 30,000-40,000 folks who lost their livelihoods when the water was stopped. I've read plenty of what Mr. Fraser has had to say, but that is for another part of this site. What does the Delta have to do with DVL?

Dr. MindBendo
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Good job out there! Best DVL report in a long time.

itsagooddaytofish
11-02-2011, 07:11 AM
screw this

cutbait
11-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I doubt any new regulation regarding stripers would affect Dvl, Castaic, and Pyramid since they already have no size and a take of 10. Unless Take limit is removed.

I would like to see the striper limit raised to 5. Our limit of 2 here in the valley wont feed a big family.

Keep the size limits...

Regarding the Water Dist stuff... Water Districts are non profit organizations they do not get rich selling water.

The profiteers are big farm company's like paramount who bought ground that has state contracted water rights. They've either changed their irrigation practices to conserve water or chose not to farm a specific property to sell their contracted amount.

None of which is Illegal, and one could make the arguement it is immoral to the environment, but keep in mind everydrop of that "sold for profit" water is being used in greater Los Angeles area for domestic use by Metropolitan Water Dist

For those of you living in So cal I would hardly be critical of water being sent south of the delta especially if your water bill pays Metropolitan

Surfnsnowboard3
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I doubt any new regulation regarding stripers would affect Dvl, Castaic, and Pyramid since they already have no size and a take of 10. Unless Take limit is removed.

I would like to see the striper limit raised to 5. Our limit of 2 here in the valley wont feed a big family.

Keep the size limits...

Regarding the Water Dist stuff... Water Districts are non profit organizations they do not get rich selling water.

The profiteers are big farm company's like paramount who bought ground that has state contracted water rights. They've either changed their irrigation practices to conserve water or chose not to farm a specific property to sell their contracted amount.

None of which is Illegal, and one could make the arguement it is immoral to the environment, but keep in mind everydrop of that "sold for profit" water is being used in greater Los Angeles area for domestic use by Metropolitan Water Dist

For those of you living in So cal I would hardly be critical of water being sent south of the delta especially if your water bill pays Metropolitan

Ummmm, the striper limit isn't 2....

fish-o-haulic
11-02-2011, 07:37 PM

He means in the duct. in the part he lives in anyway.

cutbait
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM

UMMMMM the striper limit is 2! Specifically where the proposed changes are really going to effect

Surfnsnowboard3
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
UMMMMM the striper limit is 2! Specifically where the proposed changes are really going to effect

Seeing that this post is in the DVL REPORTS section, how dare I assume we were talking about DVL limits. I should have used my f'ing crystal ball and knew we were talking about the duct.

cutbait
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Dude,

my original post on the thread clearly states it doesn't effect DVL, Castaic, or Pyramid unless all take limits are removed.

Go re-read it again!

Don't get all pissy, shouldn't be on DVL page anyway. Calm down

fish-o-haulic
11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Seeing that this post is in the DVL REPORTS section, how dare I assume we were talking about DVL limits. I should have used my f'ing crystal ball and knew we were talking about the duct.

Just sayin just cause the post is in the dvl section doesnt mean its all about dvl just people post wrong these in different parts of the forum all the. You can tell this post doesn belong to dvl by the things it describes. Not being mean or nothing just stating a fact.

Godwad
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Considering we are on a text based forum you might want to forget about your crystal ball and just worry about the posts you are responding to.

yolo
11-06-2011, 10:55 AM
http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/11/04/striped-bass-proposal-now-available-workshop-moved-to-new-location/